Moonlight Shadow Tales

Mouldy

• 2 years later...

It’s been so long since anything was added to this thread that I had to go back several pages of the ‘Holiday Takes and Blogs section to find it.

Having been denied the opportunity to use our spring allocation for the past two years due to lockdowns, we thought we’d take the opportunity of this one to offer a some friends the chance to sample the delights of a Broads holiday.  They accepted, and we met at Brooms yard yesterday around midday.  We’d already been on and made up beds and loaded much of our belongings, so it wasn’t long before we were ready to set off, after a quick visit to the Co-Op for supplies.

My intention was to get to Reedham to overnight and cross Breydon at silly o’clock this morning, but it was a beautiful day, sunny and quite warm.  Because of our early start, we’d made more progress than anticipated, so having checked the tide tables, decided to carry on over Breydon after a short stop at Reedham to optimise the timing.

We saw just a couple of other craft making the crossing, one overtaking is and another passing under Breydon Bridge in the opposite direction.  It was surprisingly choppy, but we made it safely across and headed up The Bure, punching the last of the falling tide.

We thought that Stokesby would be good to overnight, but when we arrived the farm moorings were full - although when I say full, only because the boats moored were fairly inconsiderately spaced, but  the pub moorings were completely empty.  I wonder if that’s due to the mooring fees now imposed?  Needless to say, the BA moorings were full, too, so we turned and moored at Stracey, where there was loads of space.

I’d made a shepherds pie in advance, so we heated that for dinner, with a few alcoholic beverages and chatted until about 22:00 when we retired

It’d been a good day.

5AD9284D-F7A7-4BFA-B1C5-D7B6F199A3A4.jpeg

C5B18AB9-389E-45BF-896D-76A8101BA436.jpeg

BED82C7E-FD4A-4003-AA6E-0AB9D905BC74.jpeg

D22D1C6A-0A98-4CD8-87DD-4865B928560E.jpeg

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Lulu said:

I notice you are using a rhond anchor at Stracey.  Is there still a lack of posts down that end?   

Certainly is.  I didn’t want to be too close to the mill, so moored at the Stokesby end, but several posts are missing.  No real issues though - it’s quite calm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeilB said:

I’m just leaving fleet dyke headed for Potter to buy some rubbish in Lathams!  I’ll give you a toot if I see you!

Heading for Potter ourselves!  Hoping we can moor on Woods yard to go to the Tat Emporium!!

24 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Heading for Potter ourselves!  Hoping we can moor on Woods yard to go to the Tat Emporium!!

Snap!  Normally go round the back.  They actually sell a very good brush for washing boats with!

5 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Noo! Don't do it!

Did it!  Escaped quite lightly, too!!  Even the wife couldn’t find any tat she wanted, but we couldn’t leave without buying some cakes!  😉😁

• Like 2

I’m on the fence about Lathams. Yes, a lot of it is tat, but there are good bargains to be had, but only if go in to the store looking for something in particular. It’s the sort of store that can easily suck you in to buying a load of things you don’t really need. 

Harrods it isn't but then you don't need a platinum card to shop there.

We would really miss Lathams if it wasn't there. Tools are good enough for DIY purposes and should you forget to bring anything they normally have something that will help you out on your holiday .

Although it is a traditional joke that their carrier bags are the size of coal sacks:default_biggrin:

Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1

Doesn’t time fly when you’re enjoying yourself?  Woke on Sunday to fairly uninspiring, overcast weather after quite a pleasant night.  We chugged up to Potter, moored in Woods yard and went to Lathams.  Not sure what happened, but I escaped with my wallet intact, save for a packet of Love Hearts and some treats for the dog.  After we filled with water, we cruised down to Womack Dyke and moored.  We had a walk into the village, booked a table for the Kings Arms for dinner and ambled back to the boat, stopping to buy a crusty cob and some Portuguese tarts from the little bakery.

We watched the comings and goings of the various boats until it was time to go for dinner.  We’ve only eaten in the Kings Arms once before and weren’t particularly impressed, but the carvery was amazing.  Great selection of meat and veg, with excellent, friendly service.  We’ll be back for more of that, without a doubt!

Bed was calling quite loudly by 22:00, so we had a hot drink and retired for the night.

I woke just after 06:00 on Bank Holiday Monday.  The weather was predictably naff.  When our friends had risen, we had some breakfast before heading off again, destination Stalham. We passed under Ludham Bridge with ease - the gauges showing 8’6”.  The cruise was uneventful and we arrived at Stalham to find room at the Staithe.  We needed some supplies from Tesco, so hurried over to get what we needed, before moving across to Simpsons before water.  Topped up, we chugged off again, destination Dilham.

In all the years I’ve been visiting The Broads, it was a stretch of river that I have never cruised before and it was certainly worth the effort.  We moored at the Staithe and wandered to the pub for a cheeky pint, but temptation got the better of us and we had lunch there, too.  I was impressed - the food was very good and it is somewhere we’ll bear in mind for future visits.

Back at the boat, I spent some time cleaning the fenders and attaching new fender lines.  We had dinner and talked about the day before heading for bed around 22:00.

So, this morning, I woke to another cloudy day.  We had a leisurely breakfast before heading back towards the bridge, which we negotiated with about 6 inches clearance.  We moored for a while at Barton Turf for water, before heading to Gayes Staithe.  Our friends had heard about the fudge lady and wanted to try her wares.  We stayed there for lunch, before moving on again to How Hill.  By now, the weather had improved significantly and it had turned into a beautiful sunny afternoon.  
For the first time in a long time, I ventured round the nature trail.  It hasn’t changed a lot, but the secret garden was open.  It looked stunning in the sun, with many of the big shrubs in bloom.

Currently having problems with the network, so will upload photos when it improves.

• Like 8

Lovely start to your tale Malcolm. We must try to moor at Stalham Staithe sometime, even if it’s just for a trip to Tesco’s like you did (carrying home stuff all the way back to Richardson’s is no joke, especially if you’ve bought some bottled goods…if you know what I mean).

Glad you’ve discovered Dilham. We think it’s a gem, as is the Cross Keys. It’s just that pesky Weyford Bridge! 

7 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I see you’ve discovered the How Hill secret gardens at their peak time. Bluebells, rhododendrons and azaleas. You’ve just reminded me why we need to get up north next week! 

We always used to come to The Broads around this time of the year, until our son approached his ‘exam’ years at school, when we came at Whitsun.  We used to see the secret garden, but it was seldom open to the public, so could only glimpse the colourful glory from the outside.

We came in the autumn about four of five years ago and it was open, so had a look round, but without the explosion of colour from the rhododendrons, azaleas etc, it wasn’t the same.  This was the first time we’ve been in when they’re at their best.

Tide times should easily allow you to cross north on Sunday and stay north until Thursday.

Fantastic pictures and holiday blog to date Malcolm

We have ventured up to Dilham a few times and really like that run and the Bumble Barn B&B cottages we stayed at last year was owned by the landlord of the Cross Keys and the food and welcome there was first class

You will have to send me a version for the website when you get back and I will upload it for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1