More Blasts From The Hire Craft Past

Broads01

59 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Here's a Hoseasons 1971 brochure on eBay. It seems like every other boat started from Oulton Broad in those days! Where exactly was Reedcraft at Reedham? 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183699969406

I remember Reedcraft, they had a couple of boats that i can remember called "Moody Blues" and Mocking Bird". They were two in class, and our mobile baker back in 1970 said he hired Moody Blues. Then when we went to the Broads for the very first time, Sat June 6th 1970, (my 12th birthday was the next day Sun 7th), we had Aston Orion (brand new in 69) and left Loddon and moored up at Reedham, double moored to Mocking Bird, which when we looked inside, had her floor boards up and the engine being looked at. If you walk from the Quay on the road past Sandersons, there are a couple of gates, with Reedcraft built into the metal framework. Or at least they were there til a few years ago. They looked very overgrown, and nothing left of the yard by the look of it.  Next time anybody is at Reedham, go for a walk to the west, away from the quay, you may find they`re still there?.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chameleon said:

i have an 81 blakes somewhere ,now where did i put it?

I know where there is a whole pack of 1982 Blakes and Hoseasons brochures unopened. They were left in the chapel's boiler room waiting to stoke the old beast when the asbestos lining on the water tank started to erupt. The cost to remove was such that, as the boiler was on it's last legs anyway the room was sealed. It has remained sealed for the last 37 years. There are a number of packs of others there too, as working in a travel agent at the time all of our unused brochures went into the boiler's furnace. Many a winter evensong was warmed by old Airtours, Cosmos and Carousel brochures. The Blakes and Hoseasons were never burned. 

• Like 1