• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
mbalding1050

Passes Under All Bridges At Suitable Tides?

HW are missing a trick there. They could offer a "dayboat discount" to hire craft, and a double discount to their own hirers.

I don't think H.W's are missing any tricks.  Thing is when the season is going full swing, just about everytime I have stopped at PH, All, and I do mean all H.W's dayboats are already out on hire.  Therefore no incentive for H.W's to discount - why would they?

I need 6ft5" or more to take 'B.A' through 'That' bridge and can do so a fair few times a year, I just need to be 'Lucky' :-

That is have enough airdraft available,  me be onboard 'B.A',  both of us be at PH preferably at the same time,   have time in hand,  have the confidence of getting back with regards to forthcoming tidal height,  have a crew that wants to venture t'other side,  have the confidence to 'Go for it',  be reasonably sober.

Other than that - No problem at all!

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

HW are missing a trick there. They could offer a "dayboat discount" to hire craft, and a double discount to their own hirers.

I don't think H.W's are missing any tricks.  Thing is when the season is going full swing, just about everytime I have stopped at PH, All, and I do mean all H.W's dayboats are already out on hire.  Therefore no incentive for H.W's to discount - why would they?

I need 6ft5" or more to take 'B.A' through 'That' bridge and can do so a fair few times a year, I just need to be 'Lucky' :-

That is have enough airdraft available,  me be onboard 'B.A',  both of us be at PH preferably at the same time,   have time in hand,  have the confidence of getting back with regards to forthcoming tidal height,  have a crew that wants to venture t'other side,  have the confidence to 'Go for it',  be reasonably sober.

Other than that - No problem at all!

Griff

Still waiting for the PH backwards vid Griff 

Gee Charlie that last “sober” one is a toughie.

M

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Malanka said:

Gee Charlie that last “sober” one is a toughie.

M

If that’s me you’re referring to then sober isn’t the word I’d use 

Still waiting for the PH backwards vid Griff 

Me and you both, only I ain't kinda waiting at all :default_icon_eek:

I'd bet on 'We'll both be waiting a while'.  Mind you if I ever see 6ft 11" - ish, no wind, slack water, not too many craft milling around and all my 'Lucky' parameters in place . . . . . . . .  . . . . :default_norty:

Griff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm still hoping that a bunch of drunken youths that are hiring a bath tub that has seen better days, take that ridiculous looking Potter Heigham bridge of it's moorings so to speak!

Or we could watch Griff take the bridge out backwards :default_biggrin: 

Or we could watch Griff take the bridge out backwards  

Trust me - That ain't gonna happen

Griff

On 05/03/2019 at 22:29, BroadAmbition said:

HW are missing a trick there

Where I think HW are missing a trick is that they could moor a couple of day boats above the bridge for hire on that side. I'm thinking those picnic boat type. A bit like Whispering Reeds boat which seems to book well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Where I think HW are missing a trick is that they could moor a couple of day boats above the bridge for hire on that side. I'm thinking those picnic boat type. A bit like Whispering Reeds boat which seems to book well.

But they don't own any moorings above the bridge .....

4 hours ago, Paul said:

But they don't own any moorings above the bridge .....

I doubt that is an insurmountable obstacle!

2 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I doubt that is an insurmountable obstacle!

I wouldn't "bank" on that

There's a fair bit of mysterious back scratching goes on in those places! Phoenix have a place topside of the bridge. Deals can be done, funny hand shakes etc!

There used to be a small square shaped 'cut out' mooring on the left as you approach the new road bridge. Don't know if it's still there or who owns it. From memory it would accommodate several small day/picnic boats. 

On 05/03/2019 at 12:10, MauriceMynah said:

Hi John,

I`m sure they used to some years back, but as Griff points out, maybe they did realise they were not maximising their income by offering a discount. Imagine if somebody made a last minute booking on one of their cruisers and negotiated a decent discount, then when they return the boat one day, and then get another discount to take one of their dayboats through the bridge?. On one booking it may mean a couple of hundred, which over their annual income is a drop in the Thurne, but on say 200 bookings in a season, which being quite a large fleet, would equate to many thousands of pounds lost revinue over that season.  The shareholders or accountants would have a heart attack.

• Like 1