• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
mbalding1050

Passes Under All Bridges At Suitable Tides?

16 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Does anybody know how extreme the conditions have to be for the Martham Boats not to pass under? 

Pretty bad I suspect! Check out the video of a Silver Jubilee going through in the fog. Amazing. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Pretty bad I suspect! Check out the video of a Silver Jubilee going through in the fog. Amazing. 

Sounds good Howard. Do you have a link? 

martham use their own staff to go under the bridge, I have personally been taken through in janet at 5 foot 11 inches, wouldnt think she would have got through at much less. martham do have their own gauge at their slipway that shows the bridge clearance.

their boats are all a lot narrower than most other broads boats - only about 9 foot 6" wide.

• Thanks 1

They were made to do this that’s the difference. It’s all about the line up with the key stone, the front hatch and being able to see the underside of the bridge at a given time :default_beerchug:. Child’s play when you have done it a few hundred times :default_gbxhmm:

• Thanks 2

Yep I'm well aware the narrow beam makes a big difference. I guess if Janet can go through at 5 foot 11 then Jayne and Tumblehome could manage with the same or less? 

The Juliet boats gave 5/10 as their plated air draft jubilee was similar. Most of the old woodies were 9 or 10ft 6. Malanka is 10/6. Modern 12ft wide monstrosities are the issue.

M

• Thanks 1

in just over a month I have jayne on hire so I will be able to let you know.

• Thanks 1

I don't understand all the fuss, given enough HP all boats will get through that bridge, you just need bloody good insurance and a crash helmet....

And a few bin liners for the spare bits!

And maybe an air ambulance!

• Haha 2

When that bridge and Nyx had a bit of a cuddle, there was more of the bridge left on Nyx than there was of Nyx left on the bridge. Maybe we should just all try and wear it big enough.

Incidentally, Nyx is 9'6" beam but needs 6' or more to get under because although her total airdraft is lower than the Martham craft, the actual cabin is wider, so more clearance is required.

• Like 1

Lots of larger craft have been coming through today taking advantage of the lower water. It's good to see people doing this while they can. When I say larger craft I mean bath tubs such as the gems from Richardson's, a rare site this side of the bridge these days.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1