The Problem With Democracy Is...

46 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

In fairness if I remember correctly neither Blair nor Thatcher ever lost a general election, Blair handed over to Gordon Brown, who then went on to lose. Thatcher resigned as leader of the Conservative party and John Major took over as Prime Minister. However, I don't see this as a "devil you know" situation

The problem of absolutely anybody being able to stand for election for Packman's job cannot work. Even if you limited it to stakeholders. How well do you think the owner of "Water Cuckoo" would do? How much would you need to know about him, as well as everyone else standing, to be able to make an "informed choice"? 

There is a great difference between Council and general elections, mainly that in local elections people tend to vote for people whereas in general elections people tend to vote for a political party.

I doubt very much that JP's post could be filled as a result of our vote. More likley a vote by Authority members and maybe other official factions as dictated by DEFRA. The Authority should be governed, and policy set, by Authority members who in turn are lead by the Chairman, 'tis those good folk that should be elected. As things are, as I understand it, Parliament can ask a CEO of a public body to retire, certainly we can't. Effectively John's second paragraph is spot on the money, in my opinion.