Closed Season

Hylander

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

My own experience is most fishermen are good, however from St Benets down river there are often competitions with spots pegged out for hundreds of yards. They are very reluctant to remove their rods when you are struggling against tide and wind to tack up or down the river..

We all know few boaters, of any sort, have read the Broads Navigation  regulations, and I suspect Fishermen even less , Navigation what has that to do with them?

So I'd love to be able to go to each pitch before their competition  and post on it..

FISHING 29

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) no person shall conduct any fishing or any associated activity from a power-driven or sailing vessel which is underway or cause or permit any net or fishing line to hang from such a vessel into the water whilst the vessel is underway.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to a vessel which is:
(a) engaged in the handling of licensed eel nets; or
(b) under the control of the National Rivers Authority in connection with its fishery duties.
(3) Any person fishing from a boat or the bank shall show reasonable consideration to any other person using the navigation area and shall ensure that his rod or line does not obstruct the passage of a vessel along a channel.

Ps Fishing poles with the advent of carbon fibre have got longer and longer, they are now on sale at over 40ft in length and this for me is a large part of the problem.

Hi Q,

A good friend of mine often used to go to France on fishing holidays. He used to go into the local tackle shops, where he saw poles up to 15 mtrs, that`s well over 60ft. And yes, i totally agree, they are a real problem, because when quietly cruising up narrow rivers, such as the Ant etc, these poles are often ALL THE way across the river, and being black, you can`t see them until the last second. Also, if cruising slowly, the angler can`t hear you. This scenario can often result in arguements.

Re the point above suggesting no closed season and the positive effect it would have on the hirefleets, yes, great thought, and it would be very interesting to here from fleet owners, such as Clive Richardson, and Andy Banner etc, as to their thoughts on the subject.

50 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

it is specific to angling and the affect it has on the welfare of fish and any impact on the fishing trade,

In which case its parameters, as with so many of such surveys, are not set wide enough. It has an impact on many other things, such as the disturbing of nesting waterbirds in spring time, the chance for bankside vegetation to gain new growth in spring to protect the banks and of course, the considerable impact that its proponents can have on the enjoyment of other users of the waterways.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Q,

A good friend of mine often used to go to France on fishing holidays. He used to go into the local tackle shops, where he saw poles up to 15 mtrs, that`s well over 60ft. And yes, i totally agree, they are a real problem, because when quietly cruising up narrow rivers, such as the Ant etc, these poles are often ALL THE way across the river, and being black, you can`t see them until the last second. Also, if cruising slowly, the angler can`t hear you. This scenario can often result in arguements.

Re the point above suggesting no closed season and the positive effect it would have on the hirefleets, yes, great thought, and it would be very interesting to here from fleet owners, such as Clive Richardson, and Andy Banner etc, as to their thoughts on the subject.

When we had our boat on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Canal there was a lot of match fishing, mostly with poles there were some bad anglers but the majority waited till the last second then lifted their poles up and back down again as we passed, just like going under a Mexican Wave. On a further note we have had maggots catapulted at us

1 hour ago, Seagypsy said:

When we had our boat on the Sheffield and South Yorkshire Canal there was a lot of match fishing, mostly with poles there were some bad anglers but the majority waited till the last second then lifted their poles up and back down again as we passed, just like going under a Mexican Wave. On a further note we have had maggots catapulted at us

I've had a few surprised anglers when I have returned fire with either maggots or groundbait!

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

poles up to 15 mtrs, that`s well over 60ft

I'm a keen pleasure angler and just love sitting there watching the water. Doesn't matter a bit if I catch nowt!  It always struck me, when seeing these things, why not go fish the other side????

12 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

I'm a keen pleasure angler and just love sitting there watching the water. Doesn't matter a bit if I catch nowt!  It always struck me, when seeing these things, why not go fish the other side????

Yeah, that`s exactly what i say, i can`t see the point myself.

When we`re on Lightning, i always take two 10ft 3 piece match rods, and a 10ft 6" ledger rod. If we wild moor somewhere peaceful (upper Bure etc), i  will set up my ledger rod, but never fish out very far from the bank, and also fish with one of the match rods. I`l have one rod set with larger tackle, and another set with much finer tackle. Save de hooking etc.

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

He used to go into the local tackle shops, where he saw poles up to 15 mtrs, that`s well over 60ft

He didn't! 15 meter poles are only just over 49 feet. Why do I and others fish the far bank, because that's often where the fish are, away from us humans!

• Like 2

Back to the close season issue I personally would love to see it go as it serves no real purpose on the Broads or rivers and considering it's been removed for all canals and lakes seems somewhat contradictory. If it should stay on the grounds of fish welfare then it should be mandated everywhere along with a boating ban (I'm a boater too!) as a boat can do more damage to a spawning ground then any angler can.

A couple of other points to the less informed :default_icon_e_surprised::-

• Anglers generate over £20million pounds a year in License fees alone, which is used by the EA for a number of good projects
  • Fish tend not to eat when spawning (and mostly leading up to spawning) therefore an angler will not be catching spawning fish and most likely not near them.
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

In which case its parameters, as with so many of such surveys, are not set wide enough. It has an impact on many other things, such as the disturbing of nesting waterbirds in spring time, the chance for bankside vegetation to gain new growth in spring to protect the banks and of course, the considerable impact that its proponents can have on the enjoyment of other users of the waterways.

If we are going down that road then perhaps Anglers and conservationists should have a say on a closed season for boats, the wash from a speeding boat and people wild mooring can cause as much if not more disturbance in a widespread area than  a few anglers in a few locations.

Fred

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simondo said:

Anglers generate over £20million pounds a year in License fees alone, which is used by the EA for a number of good projects

Could you please enlighten me as to what ‘good projects’ have been undertaken by the EA specifically for the Broads? That is a genuine question as I really have no idea. A good project for the EA would be the refurbishment of the Burgh Castle moorings but it doesn’t look as if that’s going to happen now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

If we are going down that road then perhaps Anglers and conservationists should have a say on a closed season for boats, the wash from a speeding boat and people wild mooring can cause as much if not more disturbance in a widespread area than  a few anglers in a few locations.

Fred

If we are going down that road then Anglers & Conservationists ought to contribute financially to the Broads Authority!!! 

Its become a them and us again and it serves no purpose

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

If we are going down that road then Anglers & Conservationists ought to contribute financially to the Broads Authority!!! 

Excellent idea. I have long held the opinion that anglers should have to buy a fishing permit to fish the broads, in the same way they do the canals.

• Like 1

Back to the close season issue I personally would love to see it go as it serves no real purpose on the Broads or rivers and considering it's been removed for all canals and lakes seems somewhat contradictory. If it should stay on the grounds of fish welfare then it should be mandated everywhere along with a boating ban (I'm a boater too!) as a boat can do more damage to a spawning ground then any angler can.

A couple of other points to the less informed :default_icon_e_surprised::-

• Anglers generate over £20million pounds a year in License fees alone, which is used by the EA for a number of good projects
  • Fish tend not to eat when spawning (and mostly leading up to spawning) therefore an angler will not be catching spawning fish and most likely not near them.

£20 million in license fees alone, but you don`t say how much VAT we pay, and that we also put a lot into local tackle shops as well.  Add to that the baits we use such as bread, sweetcorn, luncheon meat etc etc, all of which can, and often is, to be bought in local village shops.   

One thing i WILL stand by is that Anglers MUST keep away from official moorings etc in the boating season, (except those that are fishing from moored boats) and boaters MUST keep away from designated fishing platforms and swims. 

It`s also worth rememberng that in the past, but not sure if it still applies, boaters were usually asked to avoid using certain stretches of river on Sunday mornings to avoid anglers competint in fishing matches. 

As has been said before, we have to respect eachother, but so often these days, that goes straight out of the window.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I thought Anglers already do vi our Environment agency license fee?.

• Like 1

I think all them and us type discussions are fed by the actions of a few selfish individuals, who taint the perception of all with their selfish attitudes.

as a general rule the large proportion of any group are reasonable considerate people.

the few who cause ructions are the ones that are remembered, and the brush is used to tar the whole group.

by group here I mean whichever group of people that are discussed by another group of people, whether they be anglers, boaters, bird watchers, cyclists or hikers- (or any other group you care to name).

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I agree about the them and us and its what annoys me, anglers have as much right to fish tidal waters as boaters do to navigate them, I spend all of my time on the broads boating, I spend some of it fishing which ever I am doing I have no problem with anyone else enjoying their chosen hobby or making allowance for them, I have a motor cruiser but respect those who choose to sail it seems to me the major problem is with some folk who only see their chosen pastime as the legitimate one, its a sad reflection these days in all walks of life that if we don't like something others shouldnt be allowed to do it.

Fred 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, vanessan said:

Could you please enlighten me as to what ‘good projects’ have been undertaken by the EA specifically for the Broads? That is a genuine question as I really have no idea. A good project for the EA would be the refurbishment of the Burgh Castle moorings but it doesn’t look as if that’s going to happen now. 

I didn't mention the broads when refering to the EA thats a narrow view point. The close season debate is national and so is the licence and so are the funds spent, although I do know they do a lot of wildlife river monitoring in and around the broads as I have dealt with them on this basis.

43 minutes ago, Paul said:

Excellent idea. I have long held the opinion that anglers should have to buy a fishing permit to fish the broads, in the same way they do the canals.

It used to be that way Paul with regional fishing licences but now it is national with the EA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I thought Anglers already do vi our Environment agency license fee?.

I dont think the BA do get anything directly from fishing licence fees bit happy to be corrected, its not something I have ever noticed when looking at the yearly budget spreadsheets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vanessan said:

There is a world of difference between a hunky fireman asking and a timid lady! (Not that I am a timid lady.......)

Nor am I a hunky fireman :default_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

They dont but then neither do the EA or anglers get anything from BA tolls

Fred

I have to disagree with that, anglers benefit from the maintenance of the waterway which is paid for by tolls.

It used to be that way Paul with regional fishing licences but now it is national with the EA

I wasn't talking about a rod license, but a fishing permit to fish the particular waterway. Not only would it generate revenue to provide facilities for anglers, but it would offer a degree of accountability. A permit issued can be withdrawn.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Paul said:

I have to disagree with that, anglers benefit from the maintenance of the waterway which is paid for by tolls.

Only as a by product, the EA are responsible for water quality the main requirement for a healthy wildlife population including fish , as to dredging etc anglers would still be able to fish after navigation is no longer possible, as one of the larger toll payers should I expect to get more from the BA than those that pay a lot less or just accept that the broads are for the enjoyment of all including boaters that pay less than me but enjoy waters I cannot access.

Its a shame that in todays world we can no longer live and let live but have to put a monetary value on everything and seek to deny others accordingly.

Fred

• Like 4