Howdy

Polperro

Hi, Rob, new to the forum, haven't been to the broads since the mid 90's but recently fell in love with the place all over again after watching some epic vids from The Captains Blog on YouTube, planning a return trip st the moment, my ideal boat to use would be either Brinks Sonnet or another single berth that I've forgotten the name of!

• Like 1

Single-handed cruising is possible with some boatyards. Brinks Sonnet is owned by Barnes Brinkcraft who do allow single-handed cruising. I believe Bridgecraft in Acle do as well so you will still have a number of boats you can look at.

Welcome along!

I've hired Brinks Sonnet. It's ok, a bit draughty so depends on time of year as to whether this is an issue. Not my favourite boat but comfortable enough. Took number 1 out a couple of years ago and it felt a bit tired inside, very much in need of some tlc despite being classed as one of their elite fleet. 

Hi Polpero (been there loads of times), 

One thing to remember is if single handing, some yards have been known to restrict your cruising ground. If you hire from the Northern yards, they may restrict you to going no further than Acle Bridge. Also from the Southern yards, they may restrict you to the Southern rivers avoiding Breydon Water, and even only allowing passage from the Yare to the Waveney via the new cut, leaving out places such as Berney Arms, and Burgh Castle. 

Having said that, even with those restrictions, there is plenty of cruising grounds available.

25 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Polpero (been there loads of times), 

One thing to remember is if single handing, some yards have been known to restrict your cruising ground. If you hire from the Northern yards, they may restrict you to going no further than Acle Bridge. Also from the Southern yards, they may restrict you to the Southern rivers avoiding Breydon Water, and even only allowing passage from the Yare to the Waveney via the new cut, leaving out places such as Berney Arms, and Burgh Castle. 

Having said that, even with those restrictions, there is plenty of cruising grounds available.

Hi Neil. Really? That's not a restriction I've heard about. In my experience solo hiring it's always been a case of either it's not permitted (Richardsons, Herbert Woods, the b...., er, rather annoying people) or you can cruise everywhere (Barnes, Freedom, aka the enlightened ones). Which boatyards did you have in mind? 

I remember when Maffetts were hiring, if someone wanted to hire singllehanded, and they did`nt know them or their abilties, they would sometimes restrict them to the southern rivers, and said other yards (not all of them) have done the same. It`s also in my mind (unless i`m imagining it), that some years back, somebody on this forum said they had the same when they wanted to hire single handed.  Things might have changed now though Simon, but i posted it in case a yard refuses or restricts a solo to certain (and possibly safer) areas.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Neil. It's always worth checking I guess. My late father hired Merlin from Maffetts (solo) and had an energetic week covering almost the whole Broads. I was sorry when Maffetts finished because I always fancied hiring from them. I'm planning a return visit to Pacific though, possibly next year (I checked with them recently and they do hire solo with experience). 

12 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Thanks Neil. It's always worth checking I guess. My late father hired Merlin from Maffetts (solo) and had an energetic week covering almost the whole Broads. I was sorry when Maffetts finished because I always fancied hiring from them. I'm planning a return visit to Pacific though, possibly next year (I checked with them recently and they do hire solo with experience). 

When are you up there this year Simon, as i said, we`re up the last weekend in June -  first weekend July, and again, early September, will you be around then?.