Norfolk Boat Jumble

kezolah

We usually spend a couple of hours at the Suffolk ones, as Seagypsy says you have to be selective but we've managed to pick up some proper bargains - new rope and cord, fenders, a cracking old ships clock to replace the Nauticalia one and 3 rhond hooks for £1.50! (The seller thought they were something to do with whelk-pots). Just avoid the sail-ties/ canopy bungees - they fall apart when the sun hits them!!

We've always found the Norfolk Boat Jumble to be a bit of a waste of time. Having gone a few times with a sizeable shopping list we've come away empty handed as there is indeed an abundance of tat and much  fewer genuine chandlery outfits than at other boat jumbles such as for instance Essex. We used to go  regularly  to the Essex one until they moved the venue and re-scheduled it to earlier in the year making it sometimes too cold and uncomfortable to browse as we liked to do hence we tried the Norfolk one. I've heard it said that the best one is Beaulieu but the distance from us makes it  too difficult to attend plus it's better, we think, to get the stuff you need at the start of the season rather than half way through and Beaulieu is held  quite well into Summer  I believe.

Carole

8 hours ago, addicted said:

We've always found the Norfolk Boat Jumble to be a bit of a waste of time. Having gone a few times with a sizeable shopping list we've come away empty handed as there is indeed an abundance of tat and much  fewer genuine chandlery outfits than at other boat jumbles such as for instance Essex. We used to go  regularly  to the Essex one until they moved the venue and re-scheduled it to earlier in the year making it sometimes too cold and uncomfortable to browse as we liked to do hence we tried the Norfolk one. I've heard it said that the best one is Beaulieu but the distance from us makes it  too difficult to attend plus it's better, we think, to get the stuff you need at the start of the season rather than half way through and Beaulieu is held  quite well into Summer  I believe.

Carole

I would`nt bother with the Beaulieu jumble Carole,  We live about half an hour from Beaulieu and went to the jumble a couple of times. The first time i went, i bought some stuff, but found out afterwards i could have got it cheaper elsewhere. Also, one year we went to a jumble at Canford Arena near Poole, and saw a 16ft trailer sailer in need of work for £650 ish. Then a few weeks later, we went to the Beaulieu one again, and saw the same trailer sailer up for £1,000.  It made me look around, and i noticed how expensive things were, even more expensive than buying from chandlers at some stalls.  

No, don`t even think about Beaulieu unless you`re a millionaire.

The other thing about jumbles is all too often you hear of people innocently buying stuff at a jumble, be it, boat, car, bike etc, you never know if you`re buying stolen property. A sad thing to say i know, but all to often we`ve read on the forum late in the year, or very early the following year of boat break ins, and within a few weeks, it`s jumble time.

I find jumbles very the same as a car boot fair , 99% tat and nigh on 1% things you don’t really need but end up buying so to make yourself think you haven’t wasted a whole day for nothing , the remaining minuscule percentage is genuine bargains you will extremely fortunate to find, if at all

• Like 1

Norfolk Boat Jumble is a nice chance to have a walk round on a Sunday morning, have a decent bacon roll and a cuppa and meet up with your fellow boating friends for a pre season chat. 

Being more at the restoration end of boating there is always something to be had amongst all the old tat, currently trying to match some chrome on  bronze deck fittings for example.

Hi all reading all your quotes about norfolk boat jumble,  when we were looking for bits & pieces we want to Newark & hull  they were both the same hull was in a farmer's field & pick your way around the cow pats, 

We got the impression they thought we didn't know anything about boats, & prices very steep ,

• Like 1