Loddon Staithe

I've not been around the forum for a few weeks so I may have missed this but has anybody got any information regarding the proposed charging of mooring at Loddon Staithe?

I notice a past landlord of The White Horse Chedgrave has said that it was spoken about 20 years ago but sensible members of the council rejected it, however in these days of a lack of sense and understanding for local business (especially the pubs) is this a likely possibility and how do you feel about it? 

It seems a number of businesses in Loddon appear concerned.

Screenshot_20190312-164414_Facebook.thumb.jpg.9eddee108281583c56f047771301f561.jpg

Whilst I would prefer that all moorings remain free , I also appreciate that parish moorings do cost a vast sum to maintain.

Womack has been charging £3 for years and to the best of my knowledge no one begrudges paying for this facility .

Provided Loddon charges a similar fee , and is maintained to a reasonable level I don’t find it unreasonable; what would concern me if they decided to charge the inflated fees that I’m finding elsewhere such as £20 at Hotel Wroxham (even if dining there) or I believe £15 at Barnes (for private craft)

I also feel that Salhouse is now overpriced considering the facilities there especially if on the spit, I believe currently £8 overnight.

I understand places such as The White Horse Thurne now charging £5 due to having to rent the old farm moorings and even opposite TFI Horning as they would have been lost if they had not have been acquired by Ferry Marina. 

I don't really have a problem paying for moorings, as long as they are of a decent standard. You just need to make sure that you have some cash with you rather than be caught out. We don't spend much else while we're away so it doesn't bother us.

• Like 1

Who will police this? Even if there's a pay & display machine someone will have to check on who's paid and who hasn't. That someone will want paying. No-one wants to see widespread charging introduced, but moorings must be maintained, and a reasonable fee won't put off people. But it's becoming an extra expense to holidaymakers, that isn't spelt out when they book their boats."Plenty of free moorings" is the line, but that's not going to last for long, I think.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Might keep undesirables away.

Nah, I'll still visit regardless I'm afraid, there's too many pubs to pop in to in Loddon and Chedgrave :default_smiley-angelic002:

First off, i`d be quite happy to a fiver to moor at Loddon, the moorings seem to be well maintained, there`s public toilets, and plenty of 240v posts. Add to that. the major coveniences of shops, pubs, cafe`s etc etc, and it`s a place i will always stop at, often twice in a week. As was mentioned above, people flock to womack staithe and willingly pay £3.00 and with basic facilities, and very little shops etc.

• Like 1

I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for mooring, it seems to be  inevitable just like car parking. At some time in the future I wouldn't be at all surprised to find all BA 24 hour moorings subject to a charge and no longer free. Even though "free" is not exactly the whole story if you are a Toll payer.

What I would expect for a mooring fee is at the very least rubbish disposal points and No Fishing at any time!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

We visit Loddon,perhaps more times during the season then  elsewhere.If I'm honest would pay to moor.But I fully understand Simon (Whitehorse).He picks up a lot of trade from boats at the BA moorings. 

Yes, and often it`s us. 

We like to alternate between the White Horse, or the Raj Indian. Both could lose a lot of custom if they were to overcharge for moorings, but i think a fiver for overnight is acceptable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

The whole idea of asking a government quango a straight forward question and expecting a definitive answer only goes to show what a fantastically optimistic outlook you have on life Vanessan.  

I have put several questions to the BA in recent years and have received definitive answers if appropriate. MM, I thought even you accepted that not all BA employees behave like their lord and master? There are some great people in the BA offices, quite human and helpful. :default_smile:

I would have thought that if local businesses are concerned that charges may be applied to Loddon staithe moorings, they would contact the local council in the first instance for clarification. 

• Like 2

Was there some talk about charging at Reedham at one time? Or am I imagining it?

Trouble is, as I spend most time cruising in winter I've never been charged anywhere for mooring apart from Oulton Broad Yacht station. I've only just realised that you are supposed to pay at Womack. Who collects the money there?

I think Simon (White Horse) could have a point, you have to make a fairly determined effort to navigate the Chet and it is possible that the addition of mooring fees on top of that may put people off. Assuming that you could still moor free at Pyes Mill anyway??

• Like 2

I think there may be an honesty box at Womack? Not sure as we never go to the staithe preferring the quiet of Womack Dyke. I recall a couple of years back talk of charging at Reedham but something, not sure what, knocked the idea on the head. Someone will remember I’m sure. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Was there some talk about charging at Reedham at one time? Or am I imagining it?

Trouble is, as I spend most time cruising in winter I've never been charged anywhere for mooring apart from Oulton Broad Yacht station. I've only just realised that you are supposed to pay at Womack. Who collects the money there?

I think Simon (White Horse) could have a point, you have to make a fairly determined effort to navigate the Chet and it is possible that the addition of mooring fees on top of that may put people off. Assuming that you could still moor free at Pyes Mill anyway??

We often moor at Womack Staithe, and someone comes round to take the money. The chances are Howard that you`re probably in the pub whenever he comes round?  :default_norty::default_gbxhmm:

As for Chet to Loddon (and back of course),  We`ve never had any problems. I can imagine to inexperienced helms it could possibly be a bit daunting on the lower stretches at stretches such as Nog Dam End, as these are very narrow, twisty and winding, but difficult?. I will admit though that if you are on a high spring tide and it`s very windy,  especially if it`s gale force, it will need a lot of concentration, especially for inexperienced helms. That said, i love the fun of helming in strong winds, except when mooring of course.

• Like 2

Ha ha, no I think its just that they don't bother in the winter, most of the time there's no one moored there anyway. as I say, I've never been approached for mooring fees anywhere in winter, another plus for going out of season!

I agree, the Chet is not a problem for me, I wish I had a quid for every time I've been down there. I pretty much know every twist and turn by now. But I think Simon's point is it could be a little daunting for folks with limited experience or who have never been before.

• Like 2