A Few Gripes After A Week On The Broads

DJB

Really sorry to hear about this. The yard doesn't sound up to much, I can't see any reference to who it is although I have my suspicions. Water shouldn't be too much of a  problem in winter if you know where to go, I'll try to compile a list sometime. Also heating shouldn't be an issue on a well maintained boat. As regular readers will know we've done December and February  for the last 11 years without issues (touch wood) :default_biggrin:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, marshman said:

I hope you enjoy your September holiday rather more but once we get to the end of September, that too can bring more unacceptable weather conditions - unfortunately!

Thanks for that Mystic MM that is when we are on holiday - end of September.       Dont worry DJB - September is going to be brilliant weather.     Not a heatwave but just really lovely pleasant days.       Do think though that Broads Direct are a bit slow on the update.   They could be earning a few bob taking boats through.   Not as if it would cut much into their day.    Let the boatyards have a direct phone number to whoever is on duty and he/she can pop over and take you through, job done.    With the lack of a pilot at this time you are bound to get one who will take the hire boat through regardless.

Jean - enjoy your time on the boat.      Have ordered you really good weather.      Storm A B C or D can sod off and leave us all alone ,  we have had enough of storms.

• Like 2

One option might be to negotiate with the hire yard to see if there is any chance you could be allowed to go through yourself. As usual small family yards may be more accommodating. I would possibly also try speaking to one of Faircraft Loynes yard staff (not the office) just a chance they may be able to help. Not done it personally but anecdotal evidence suggests it might be possible. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hylander said:

Do think though that Broads Direct are a bit slow on the update.   

Just read my post.   That should read slow on the uptake not update.      My mind is on updating at the moment.   Sorry about that.

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

One option might be to negotiate with the hire yard to see if there is any chance you could be allowed to go through yourself. As usual small family yards may be more accommodating. I would possibly also try speaking to one of Faircraft Loynes yard staff (not the office) just a chance they may be able to help. Not done it personally but anecdotal evidence suggests it might be possible. 

Fair point about Faircraft Loynes Howard although I'd only have a go myself if it was a small boat with a narrow beam. I have video of myself taking an Alpha 32 through in the pre-pilot days and it's scary to watch. If hiring from Barnes I'm told they take their own boats through. 

• Like 1