Amazon - Rant

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

The advantage of North Norfolk,  green recycling,  black rubbish,  brown garden if you need one. 

And that's it. 

Amazon and eBay Regularly used,  often for stuff that's difficult to obtain locally.

I've lived from the outer hebridies,  to coastal Somerset to Norfolk,  finding shops and obtaining things can be difficult. Even  From here on the coast of Norfolk to buy stuff is often a 45 mile round trip either to GY or norwich so add 2gallons of petrol to the higher price in the shops.  It's just not economic. 

Me too, but I also buy many items from John Lewis. No Sprowston park and ride any more ( car damaged twice in their car park, bays too small ) buy on-line and goods are at Waitrose North Walsham next day.

Edit to say it is John Lewis car park that is too tight not the park and ride.

Some of what you said there Robin really made me laugh, whilst other bits made me quite sad.

Ok, firstly

6 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I still had to use a pencil and a bit of paper to put down my item number,

Top tip, Treat it like a stylus and a touch sensitive screen. The pencil and paper is an old system but with practice you can get quite good at it.

6 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Yes, self service check outs cost jobs, but I choose them over the manned till because save for the 'unexpected item in bagging area' that might crop up, its fast and easy and no small talk is needed.

Hmmm, yes,,, small talk... Some people find this concept difficult to grasp so permit me to offer a quick explanation.

Talking (of any size) used to be the way people related to each other before the days of computers. In the olden days people used to survive having telephones that you had to speak into, most of these were attached to a network by wire and had to be left at home. This required people to have to go to places, meet other people and speak to them. This of course suffered the disadvantages of not having emoticons to explain themselves and frequently catching colds from each other. In the enlightened days we are now in, we can converse with people without actually having to meet them and one day, if we are very lucky, we might be able to go through our entire lives without meeting or speaking to anyone. 

The answer for that embarrassing question all children eventually ask "Daddy, where do I come from?" will in future be far more straight forwards.   "Amazon"

We're doomed, we're all doomed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

What you have to remember is that places that do the pencil and paper trick are expecting you to keep the free pencil (stub) so have a huge supply - this keeps people working in the pencil factories, so by using (and keeping) the pencils you are ensuring the employment of someone in the pencil factory, plus you then have a pencil (well a bit of a pencil) in case of an emergency (eg you want to leave a note on the windscreen of a car, after all you wouldnt type a note on your phone and leave it tucked under a cars wipers to leave them a message - eg I just spotted you have a flat tyre - or something).

Oh yes Grendel, the pencil or "Manually Operated Random Message Generator" as I should be known, is a marvellous device, though the "Permanent Manually Operated Random Message Generator" or "pen"  as we call it can be the better tool for the job as it has no need for the "Rotational Message Generator Servicing Module" (pencil sharpener) .

• Haha 4

ah but pencils tend to perform better in harsh environments, eg when they get wet or in space, there is a tale about the pressurised pen cartridge that was invented by the americans to be able to write upside down, and even in space - while the Russian cosmonauts just carried on using pencils, 

I find that when a pencil stops writing a quick application by a patent swiss army device (penknife) is sufficient, whereas when a pen stops writing at the very least a replacement part (cartridge) is required, and the problem cannot be assuaged by the application of the aforesaid swiss army device- despite its name suggesting its efficacy with the pen.

On 16/03/2019 at 16:56, BroadAmbition said:

We at this hovel often use Amazon (Prime) - Other on line retailers are available

Thursday I somehow managed to break the claw end off my crowbar or wrecking bar as some would describe it.  I was giving it plenty of welly, pulling out 6" nails that are proper thick out of cls into breeze block.  So, late Friday evening I ordered a new un via Amazon.

This morning I did not have to leave the house until 0820, delivery from Amazon arrived before I departed.  Large box addressed to me.  Strange, what's in here I thought as it is far too big to be the crowbar I ordered.  It was.  The size of the cardboard box was ridiculous, then paper packing, then bubble wrap, then a plastic sleeve, all  for a crowbar?  There is no wonder our blue recycle wheely bin gets full proper quick.  What a waste of resources / overkill not to mention the amount having to be recycled.

Griff

BA NBN 556.JPG

BA NBN 557.JPG

BA NBN 558.JPG

BA NBN 559.JPG

I think I can beat that .... I did actually complain to Tesco a few years ago when this was the amount of packaging used for the four (quite small) items you can see to the left ordered via Tesco Direct to collect in store. Boxes within boxes, reams of bubble wrap and sundry other plastic wrapping.

919311663_tescoorder2015.thumb.jpg.6b6b60d8436c7416e4b02b035226e2e5.jpg

Carol

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Some of what you said there Robin really made me laugh, whilst other bits made me quite sad.

Ok, firstly

Top tip, Treat it like a stylus and a touch sensitive screen. The pencil and paper is an old system but with practice you can get quite good at it.

Hmmm, yes,,, small talk... Some people find this concept difficult to grasp so permit me to offer a quick explanation.

Talking (of any size) used to be the way people related to each other before the days of computers. In the olden days people used to survive having telephones that you had to speak into, most of these were attached to a network by wire and had to be left at home. This required people to have to go to places, meet other people and speak to them. This of course suffered the disadvantages of not having emoticons to explain themselves and frequently catching colds from each other. In the enlightened days we are now in, we can converse with people without actually having to meet them and one day, if we are very lucky, we might be able to go through our entire lives without meeting or speaking to anyone. 

The answer for that embarrassing question all children eventually ask "Daddy, where do I come from?" will in future be far more straight forwards.   "Amazon"

We're doomed, we're all doomed.

Guess what John? .........................................:default_laugh:

Seriously though, a humerous way of making a very valid point.  Yes, i have a mobile phone, and yes, i do send the VERY occaisional text message, but always prefer to phone. I LIKE talking to people, i always say, if you can make someone smile, you`ve won the day. I`m not always successful though, sometimes people take it the wrong way.

When i lived in Gravesend in North Kent, if you walked past someone in the street and said good morning to them, they thought you were being suspicious and gave you a funny look. Down here in Dorset, whenever you say good morning or afternoon to a stranger walking past, 99% of the time you get a polite reply. 

Talking is a great way to make people smile, and as i said above, if you can bring a friendly smile to a strangers face, you`ve won the day.

See John, i`ve agreed with you YET AGAIN  :default_beerchug:, although mine will be a mug of tea.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Robin with a few exceptions Homo Sapiens are a sociable race living in colonies, interaction with other members of the race is a vital part of good mental wellbeing and also helps with physical health plus maintaining the communal benefits for all.

Indeed, and I am all for that in social situations but I don;t really seek it when I am out shopping.

An example a couple of weeks ago in Roys in Wroxham was being behind Lynn and Bernard who are talking to Ruth the checkout operator about Lynn's recent health scare. I heard a great deal and as they talked of course Ruth kept stopping scanning their shopping, and Bernard was stopping packing to talk back. It all took an absolute age to get sorted.

I am sorry to be  dismissive here, but I have no personal interest in spending a few minutes talking to someone as I put things in a bag before they ask me how I'd like to pay, tap my card and wish them a good day. Perhaps the stark truth is, growing up where I did this sort of interaction is rare - indeed it is rare to get even something as simple as  'thanks' as you had over money, or take a receipt from the person at the till.

But here is a very real and good example of my day:  I needed to go to collect a parcel from one of the Amazon Lockers in Norwich. I checked the time of the next train on my phone, and bought my tickets while I was at it - walked round to the station and had but moments before the train arrived. Once on the train I took a seat, and once we were past Brundall Gardens the Guard came along asking 'any tickets' and seeing my phone had the QR code on it as I held it in my hand, pulled out his phone to scan the QR code shown on my screen. He said nothing to me, I said nothing to him. He was on his way in seconds.

At the station I used my phone to allow the scanner at the ticket gates to confirm the ticket I had was live and valid, it was they opened and I walked through. I then came to the front of Norwich station, turned to my right and walked to the bus stop. A First Operated bus came along which is good as they take contactless card payments. If this was London you would say nothing, but it was not so I had to tell the driver my destination, Castle Mall. He tapped something and this woke up the terminal to accept my phone and I paid using Apple Pay. Again no words were said between me and driver. I took my seat.

I got off and went into the shopping centre that is Castle Mall where I found the Amazon Locker that had my order waiting in it.  I used my phone again with the Amazon App to scan the QR code that then opened the locker my order was behind, having collected this it was time to head off into the city. 

I walked around a bit and popped into WH Smiths, I bought my Rail magazines and went straight to the self service till, scanned them and paid, again using my phone and Apple Pay - and walked on out. Then it was over to McDonalds. I used the self service order screen, tapped the phone to pay, grabbed a table number and found somewhere to sit. A few minutes later a chap came over with my food, took the table number and said 'enjoy' I nodded. I ate. I finished and I  left.

I walked up to St. Stephens Street and into Sainsbury's Local, picked up a few essentials and yep, again I paid at the self service till, having now decided I could not really be bothered to walk back to the station, I pondered a black cab then a train but instead opted for a mini cab all the way back to Brundall. No need to phone for one, out with the phone tap the App for Courtesy Taxi's and ordered one - 4 minutes later it arrived, I got in and we were off. Nothing was said during our trip so I put on my headphones and day dreamed, it did not take long and time to get out - all paid for as the fare was automatically taken from my account, so simply close the door and walk away.

So I had traveled on a train, collected a parcel, bought three magazine's, bought some food, then some shopping and cab back in a cab and hardly anything was said, no actual cash was used and no wallet was needed even. Did I feel left wanting for more interaction? No, not at all. I had achieved all I needed to and it had all gone without any hitches. I am sure to some the above would make them feel like some kind of soulless robot, for me I was content. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

I can feel the Neanderthal grunt making a comeback and will become recognised as the correct and formal method of introduction, conversation and goodby. Complemented by the trusty smart phone. Until of course the battery runs out.

Edited by Wussername
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I admit it, I am a luddite when it comes to phones, I have a blackberry, it doesnt do whatsapp, it doesnt do things most phones do, but it does do photos, texts and phone calls. but if I forget my phone or the battery goes flat, i can still get around, buy things and do things.

i can imagine the panic, you are on the boat for a week, and the 12v socket stops working and there is no inverter, could you husband the power of your phone so it stays functional for the rest of the week for the absolute necessities?

well to be honest I probably could as I have a couple of solar charged power banks, but could everyone?

For us, online shopping is an absolute godsend. We both work long hours and leisure time is precious especially at the weekends so we do our food shopping online. It is the most, boring , time consuming thing for me trailing around Tesco so we either do click and collect or home delivery.  We use Amazon a lot for boat bits as its so much cheaper and also click and collect at Screwfix. 

Certain things, yes I want to see them before purchase, such as the washing machine I had to get on Sunday. We were tempted to use AO as we have done before, but I was glad i went into store as the one I thought I wanted had a very flimsy door.  It took probably 2.5 hours out of my weekend travelling to and from the store and choosing so plus a weekly food shop, thats a large chunk of time. 

When we retire, this may change as we will have the time but for now its fab. Food gets delivered on Friday, we are completely free at the weekends (unless the washing machine packs up)

• Like 2

Went on amazon to find a new washing machine. Found the one I wanted the cheapest, noticed the company supplying, it was Hughes, so I went to their web site, ordered it from North Walsham, went and collected it and got a further discount!!..

Meantime... I recieved yesterday some micro strip from the cheapest supplier via Amazon... It arrived in a large cardboard envelope big enough to hold a very thick A4 note pad all the way from the USA.

Microstrip... ten pieces, 300mm long 0.5mm thick, 2mm wide.. Plastic, for the making of several cattle grids on roads on a N gauge railway layout..

Oh if you go on line and order from:

Angling Direct you'll get it from the head office of that company in Wroxham

Ropes Direct and it will come from Ropes Direct, Hurst's Yard, Ludham Road, Catfield, Norfolk NR29 5PY

Roys of Wroxham, order on line They'll deliver from Hoveton..

Go Online support local companies!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Indeed, and I am all for that in social situations but I don;t really seek it when I am out shopping.

An example a couple of weeks ago in Roys in Wroxham was being behind Lynn and Bernard who are talking to Ruth the checkout operator about Lynn's recent health scare. I heard a great deal and as they talked of course Ruth kept stopping scanning their shopping, and Bernard was stopping packing to talk back. It all took an absolute age to get sorted.

I am sorry to be  dismissive here, but I have no personal interest in spending a few minutes talking to someone as I put things in a bag before they ask me how I'd like to pay, tap my card and wish them a good day. Perhaps the stark truth is, growing up where I did this sort of interaction is rare - indeed it is rare to get even something as simple as  'thanks' as you had over money, or take a receipt from the person at the till.

But here is a very real and good example of my day:  I needed to go to collect a parcel from one of the Amazon Lockers in Norwich. I checked the time of the next train on my phone, and bought my tickets while I was at it - walked round to the station and had but moments before the train arrived. Once on the train I took a seat, and once we were past Brundall Gardens the Guard came along asking 'any tickets' and seeing my phone had the QR code on it as I held it in my hand, pulled out his phone to scan the QR code shown on my screen. He said nothing to me, I said nothing to him. He was on his way in seconds.

At the station I used my phone to allow the scanner at the ticket gates to confirm the ticket I had was live and valid, it was they opened and I walked through. I then came to the front of Norwich station, turned to my right and walked to the bus stop. A First Operated bus came along which is good as they take contactless card payments. If this was London you would say nothing, but it was not so I had to tell the driver my destination, Castle Mall. He tapped something and this woke up the terminal to accept my phone and I paid using Apple Pay. Again no words were said between me and driver. I took my seat.

I got off and went into the shopping centre that is Castle Mall where I found the Amazon Locker that had my order waiting in it.  I used my phone again with the Amazon App to scan the QR code that then opened the locker my order was behind, having collected this it was time to head off into the city. 

I walked around a bit and popped into WH Smiths, I bought my Rail magazines and went straight to the self service till, scanned them and paid, again using my phone and Apple Pay - and walked on out. Then it was over to McDonalds. I used the self service order screen, tapped the phone to pay, grabbed a table number and found somewhere to sit. A few minutes later a chap came over with my food, took the table number and said 'enjoy' I nodded. I ate. I finished and I  left.

I walked up to St. Stephens Street and into Sainsbury's Local, picked up a few essentials and yep, again I paid at the self service till, having now decided I could not really be bothered to walk back to the station, I pondered a black cab then a train but instead opted for a mini cab all the way back to Brundall. No need to phone for one, out with the phone tap the App for Courtesy Taxi's and ordered one - 4 minutes later it arrived, I got in and we were off. Nothing was said during our trip so I put on my headphones and day dreamed, it did not take long and time to get out - all paid for as the fare was automatically taken from my account, so simply close the door and walk away.

So I had traveled on a train, collected a parcel, bought three magazine's, bought some food, then some shopping and cab back in a cab and hardly anything was said, no actual cash was used and no wallet was needed even. Did I feel left wanting for more interaction? No, not at all. I had achieved all I needed to and it had all gone without any hitches. I am sure to some the above would make them feel like some kind of soulless robot, for me I was content. 

Maybe its a generation thing but I find that really sad, I to live in London and while I accept most people don't acknowledge strangers I know my neighbours and speak to many locals and shop workers, but then I am of an age when good morning and thank you were part of daily life, loneliness and isolation are two of the biggest ills of modern society and maybe Robin you have unwittingly partially explained the rise in suicide rates amongst younger generations.

I do use Amazon or other online companies when applicable we also do our general shopping in the local supermarket particularly fresh produce as we like to see the quality and dates before choosing not just accept the first thing someone else has picked up off the shelf.

Should I loose my mobile or have it stolen all that anyone would find is a list of contact numbers that I have a copy of and unless you know me most of them are meaningless the rest of my life would be unaffected, what photos I have are on my camera card and laptop and that's not many but then I live a simple life that's more about people than technology or possessions.

Fred 

• Like 3

I think it must be a generational thing, or maybe just living up here in Yorkshire. I love the small interactions with people I meet on the way. Not to sit and have a long conversation with, just to acknowledge that we are still alive and kicking. Loneliness is indeed a debilitating condition in lots of ways. Having lost Doreen, I am thankful for the interaction I have with workmates in my part-time job. To sit indoors without seeing someone for days, as many elderly frail people have to, would be a very grim prospect for me. I do think that loneliness is something you only contemplate when it hits you. It does not matter if you do not interact for days if you know there is someone waiting to appear at the end of it (if that makes sense). 

• Like 10

What put me off Amazon was getting enrolled in the "Prime" thing by stealth I really didn't remember ticking anything! only knew when the fee money appeared on my bank statement in fairness to them one phone call and I got my money back.

And as for waste what about Barclaycard they send me a letter at least every month about transferring all my credit cards to them. Why don't they pop it in my Barclaycard bill or e-mail it .been going on for years now, a whole rainforest worth! BTW I only have ONE credit card anyway!

I've used amazon for years and have never had cause to complain apart from ordering a T.V.  and having a used one turn up that broke down 24hours later but I got a refund vey promptly and I suspect the fault lay with the  company rather than with Amazon. However I also  found myself signed up to Prime having no idea how that had occurred but simply cancelled the membership and got a refund almost immediately. What I  do like about Amazon is that unlike a lot of  other mail, order companies  it comes mostly postage  free of charge which can  make quite a difference  to the costs involved.

Carole

Not only do they treat employees poorly but also, the next time you go to that ever so useful shop round the corner or in town, it will be boarded up and gone for good! Your high street will become wall to wall bars and nightclubs or else a deserted row of more boarded up shops. Yes, use Amazon for hard to get stuff or music/dvd stuff but use your locals as well.

• Like 2

We had a wonderful diy shop called handyman in our town till b&q appeared, had everything you wanted, nothing in a blister pack, buy a hinge and the screws needed came with it in whatever type you wanted, wood was cut to size and shape within reason and charged by the square inch.

Now it's just a delapidated shell in the middle of the high st.

• Like 1

Few good points made here.

Amazon - yes I use them yes you've to monitor the prices but can't belive their missing a trick on collecting packaging if offered to them it's cash back for them. Also started using a company in China for my 'smart house gear' cheaper than Amazon less boxes and takes a week.

Argos - view elsewhere but buy from Argos that was the crack years ago. Now I use Argos as a delivery point if it's offered when buying online and open till 2200 in the large shopping centre near me, I go collect around 2100 quick drive down park in the front and away home in 15mins, it beats the silly Royal Mail timings to collect parcels.

Bins - "green recycling,  black rubbish,  brown garden" simples why do the different councils want to use other colours for recycling Green is Recycling Green is what we aim for. Griff I've the correct bin system covered I have a white shower curtain ring i remove from the bin going out and place on the other ready for the following week.

• Like 1

You wouldn't have a conversation with the staff in our local screwfix. The art of verbal communication obviously not having been in the curriculum at whatever educational establishment they attended (or more likely didn't)

On top of which I much prefer Toolstation, although ten minutes further away the staff know what they are talking about and I find increasingly have better prices, better range of products and most importantly more items in stock then our local screwfix which i find has gone downhill dramatically over the last two or so years.

• Like 3