A New Formula One Season Is Underway ** Spoiler Alert **

Paul

So a new F1 season is well and truly underway. It is always dangerous to read too much into the Australian GP, most teams will be introducing upgrades over the next few races, in fact it used to be said that the season doesn't really start until it reaches Europe, though there are a greater number of races outside Europe nowadays.

There are some questions that do appear to have been answered. Firstly, and most disappointingly in my eyes is that Charles Leclerc is not going to be allowed to race Vettel. Ferarri have always held a strict number one policy but there was a lot of unrest from owners Fiat last season that this policy was costing them titles. Vettel had the fastest car last season but still Ferarri failed to secure either driver or constructors title, largely due to unforced errors from their number one driver. That cost team principle Luca De Montezemolo his job. but they don't appear to have learnt any lessons from last season.

Yet again Hamilton failed to convert pole in Australia to a race win. That's becoming something of a pattern. It would appear that Bottas will be Hamilton's biggest rival this season, which was always the most likely option, but for several chunks of bad luck he would have given Hamilton a real run last season. At least Hamilton seemed confident that he knew why he didn''t have the pace of his team mate but wasn't letting on what the reason was. I'd guess it was down to set up or tyres. 

It seems Honda have finally produced an engine which, whilst it might not have the power to directly challenge the Mercs should at least make them competititve and give them a chance of aiming for race wins at tracks which suit their short wheel base car. 

The saddest point of the race for me was the performance of the Williams. They seem to be in a real hole right now and whatever they are doing it is simply getting deeper. For a once great team it is a shame to see that and whilst we know they are struggling for budget compared to the top teams to see them so far behind the rest of the field is very worrying. 

• Like 6

Agree Williams are a sorry state at the moment but with the recent departure of Paddy Lowe there are now no technical directors within the team where there should be three of them which says a lot.

Go to the BBC sport web page and look at what an areo design guy has to say, if he is right then Ferrari are going to struggle this year. I for one would like 2019 to be the one where Bottas is repaid for help Lewis so much last year as I fear he will be looking for a new drive next year.

• Like 2

I was lucky and took advantage of a renewal offer which Talk Talk made some years ago to add Sky Sports for £8 a month. Each year when it comes to renewal they send me the email that says it's going up to £32 or whatever the latest price is, I reply to advise I'm switching suppliers, and they email me back to say they'll honour the current price. I've been getting away with it for years. 

10 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Sadly, Channel 4 only have one live race this year. That, at least, is the Silverstone GP. I would have much preferred the Monaco though even though there is little or no overtaking. I like that street course.

Heard talk of the London street circuit race being looked at again. Can`t see it ever happening myself.

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

That would send the speed cameras into meltdown. Love to see the letter Hamilton et al would be sent!

"you placed part of your vehicle into a bus lane at a speed of 126mph for 0.006 seconds so please find the attached fine for obstructing the bus lane and stopping busses from proceeding normally"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

What has annoyed me is that the BBC news programs gave out the result

Yes, I had the very same problem with Sky! I was watching the Leeds game and the t*at said in the middle of commentary that Hamiltons got pole! Spoiled my highlights of qualifying!

BBC still have radio coverage, which is all they have had for years. Think yourself lucky with that much, it's more than we got for England's winter cricket tours. It is sports news and they are bound to report it, if not they are not doing their job. 

8 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Heard talk of the London street circuit race being looked at again. Can`t see it ever happening myself.

Let's hope it never happens. The only thing worse than an "out of the box" bland Herman Tilke designed circuit is a street circuit. Those remaining on the calendar, Monaco included need pensioning off or giving over to Formula E. If Formula 1 is to survive, and there is no guarantee of it's long term future then it needs interesting racing, which only happens on interesting circuits. 

I hope that Ferrari have a load of parts to bring to the start of the European season otherwise this year could be dull.

There was nothing about the pace of the teams that surprised me at all. It's a long season though so fingers crossed.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app