Well That Was An Interesting Week On The Yare!

Thiswan

Faced the Cold and the wind even the rain and the huge waves but could not walk to the New Inn Rockland from the Staithe without falling headfirst into the road! bruising and grazing myself all over and spitting out a tooth Thank you to the people at the Pub who helped me up. I had a good time despite the accident but now must face the Dentist! Has anyone else felt unsteady on land after being a few days on the water? BTW no alcohol had passed my lips before the tumble!

• Sad 2

When we first started boating I remember noticing on returning home from a weekend on our newly acquired boat boat that as I was pouring tea I was swaying!  this continued for the first few stays and then stopped.  I never have it happen now even after being home for months during the off season.

Carole

5 minutes ago, addicted said:

When we first started boating I remember noticing on returning home from a weekend on our newly acquired boat boat that as I was pouring tea I was swaying!  this continued for the first few stays and then stopped.  I never have it happen now even after being home for months during the off season.

Carole

Now that's my problem not enough time on the water! sounds a good cure to me !!       Peter,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChrisB said:

After passage making at sea for two or three days I get it.

When my Daughter was little on a rough ferry crossing with her school she was the only one able to stand I put this down to our regular Broads holidays even before she was born!

• Like 2

I remember reading a little while ago of a lady who suffered with the ‘wobbles’ after only a few days on board a hire boat. Sadly she has never quite recovered as her equilibrium appears to have been permanently affected. I don’t think it is a common thing fortunately, there would be too many of us weaving our way along. You would at least be able to spot fellow boaters though! (Or fellow imbibers maybe? :default_smile:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We once did a crossing from Malta to Sicily in December on a catamaran. With hind- sight it should never have put out as the weather was not good  when we left. The journey back was horrendous with passengers falling ill and the cabin crew disappearing into their own quarters  to strap themselves in to their seats,  That's where my husband who  seemed to be the only one able to keep his feet,  found them when he went  in search of someone  to show him where sick bags could be found which  he then collected  and handed out to grateful passengers, some of whom were in a bad way. None of the cabin crew ventured out at all  So bumpy was it, passengers  if not strapped firmly into their seats were actually hitting their heads on the racks over their  seats! The trip upset my own equilibrium so badly  that I was obliged to spend the next 2 days in bed and it took months for me to recover from it.

Carole

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, addicted said:

We once did a crossing from Malta to Sicily in December on a catamaran. With hind- sight it should never have put out as the weather was not good  when we left. The journey back was horrendous with passengers falling ill and the cabin crew disappearing into their own quarters  to strap themselves in to their seats,  That's where my husband who  seemed to be the only one able to keep his feet,  found them when he went  in search of someone  to show him where sick bags could be found which  he then collected  and handed out to grateful passengers, some of whom were in a bad way. None of the cabin crew ventured out at all  So bumpy was it, passengers  if not strapped firmly into their seats were actually hitting their heads on the racks over their  seats! The trip upset my own equilibrium so badly  that I was obliged to spend the next 2 days in bed and it took months for me to recover from it.

Carole

Seasickness has to be one of the worse sensations you just pray for deliverance!

When we first hired many years ago it would take me several days back ashore before the swaying stopped.

One very odd experience I remember was a sea crossing to Lundy from Ilfracombe. The sea was literally flat as the proverbrial pancake during a spell of very good weather and by some trick of the brain, because I was expecting to feel motion but didn't, I felt quite queasy!

I wasn't sick thankfully and an exercise by an RAF Seaking rescue helicopter half way across made a great distraction as they landed a man on our deck.

50 minutes ago, Ray said:

When we first hired many years ago it would take me several days back ashore before the swaying stopped.

That is a feeling I remember as well but don't tend to have so much anymore.

The worst experience I've had was a rough overnight crossing from Weymouth to Jersey back in the 1980s. Some passengers were taken so ill that there were ambulances waiting on the quayside in St Helier when we docked.

It was the Sealink ferry Earl William. Only a few years later, with prisons overcrowded, it was used as a detention centre for Tamils arriving from Sri Lanka!

after 3 consecutive days crossing the channel to france (we live so close to dover it was cheaper than a hotel.)

we found we were fine on the crossing, but both felt seasick once we stopped the car and got out.

the third days return trip was so bad they had shut the bars and stored all the plates cups and glasses, the crew were even resorting to seasickness wrist bands, took a couple of days after that to get our land legs back.

First Broads holiday I ever had was out for two weeks on Alpha's wooden "Spitfire". A small yet very sturdy craft. We had made the target of the two weeks to visit every beer mug on the Hoseasons map. We managed it but, I think, it was on the  fifth or sixth night we were in the bar at Stokesby and my mate turned to me and said "the bar is going up and down"!  I was so relieved he said this as the bars had been going up and down for me for a couple of nights and I was convinced I was just wierd! It was shortly after a spectacularly rough crossing of Breydon water with waves breaking over the whole boat and the stern lifting so high that the prop was screaming away! They would have shut it nowadays. Did I enjoy it???  You bet I did, I loved every bit of it. We went through the whole of Alpha's fleet over the next three years!

• Like 2

As a Junior Seaman in 1967 joining my first ship in the Far East, I was given this advice by my sea dad. During ‘ruffers’ take a tea spoon full of honey, will that stop the seasickness ? I asked, no , but it will taste just as good when it comes back up he said. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3