March Reflection

SwanR

35 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

If you have a deep purse Faircraft Loynes hire all year round 

You reminded me of something else I meant to say. Almost all the hireboats we saw were from Richardson's. Saw two from Barnes Brinkcraft, one from Summercraft, one from Broom's and two from Herbert Woods but nothing from anywhere else that I can recall. Of course that doesn't mean that they weren't all diddling around in the opposite ends of the rivers to us. But we did keep seeing the same boats around and about, including the private ones. We passed a number of the syndicate boats including Silver Cloud, Thunder and Gooseander.

The ex-Swancraft fleet were out in force as we saw probably another five of those, quite possibly all of them apart from Reflection 2 but I'm fairly sure that was out as it wasn't available when we booked number 1. They certainly look to have been a good investment for Richardson's. Also saw a private Shadow 31 moored up ... I'm still waiting for that lottery win ...!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SwanR said:

The ex-Swancraft fleet were out in force as we saw probably another five of those, quite possibly all of them apart from Reflection 2

Quality always tells Jean :default_biggrin: OK I may be biased but I think Swancraft built the best hire boats around. They actually listened to customers too hence good sized calorifiers, good heating and battery systems. Reflection 2 is shaft drive and would be my slight preference but both lovely boats. 

25 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I'm still waiting for that lottery win ...!

Me too! :default_beerchug:

A private boat called Tombstone always seems to follow us around in winter. Talking to one of the guys from Faircraft Loynes in December when we moored there. Although boats were available they had none out which surprised me. It may be that they are a bit on the pricey side. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SwanR said:

You reminded me of something else I meant to say. Almost all the hireboats we saw were from Richardson's. Saw two from Barnes Brinkcraft, one from Summercraft, one from Broom's and two from Herbert Woods but nothing from anywhere else that I can recall. Of course that doesn't mean that they weren't all diddling around in the opposite ends of the rivers to us. But we did keep seeing the same boats around and about, including the private ones. We passed a number of the syndicate boats including Silver Cloud, Thunder and Gooseander.

The ex-Swancraft fleet were out in force as we saw probably another five of those, quite possibly all of them apart from Reflection 2 but I'm fairly sure that was out as it wasn't available when we booked number 1. They certainly look to have been a good investment for Richardson's. Also saw a private Shadow 31 moored up ... I'm still waiting for that lottery win ...!

Saw Thunder and Silver Cloud (Trambo on board) had a chat with him at Womack

• Like 1

What a nice write up Jean (apart from things about the pubs  :default_gbxhmm: ), and very interested in the fact you like to hire early.  You saw some of the syndicate boats out, which is not surprising, as they are available 50 weeks of the year, though are never likely to be used to that extent. Have you ever considered syndicate ownership, as if you like to hire in the out of season months, it may be more financially viable to look into it. I`m trying to talk Simon (Broads01) and Howard (Norfolk Nog) into buying into a syndicate, so you may be my next victim :default_norty:.

• Like 3

Thanks very much for the write up and photos Jean and your review comments. I'm tempted to try March myself for the first time next year, partly due to your photos and comments about the lack of boats. It would be my first step towards 'winter' boating - I'm not quite ready for a Howard-style full on winter trip yet! 

I know what you mean about Richos 'Holiday Camp' reception. It's true it does feel impersonal compared to smaller operators but I've always forgiven them that because they run an efficient operation. 

• Like 3

Thanks Speedtriple. 

Before we bought our static caravan we did consider various aspects of boat ownership including syndicates. I can see the attraction although it doesn't give you quite the same flexibility as owing your own boat would but presumably takes away some of the worry of maintenance etc. for someone who knows nothing about the technical and mechanical side of things.

Right now I still work full time and certain times of year are not good for me to get away. Plus I would never want school holidays. But I can see the attraction. Someone mentioned recently about buying a second share in one of the syndicate boats once retired and I think if we could afford that, then this increased option of time afloat could be a winner.

Our caravan allows us to get out of the city and up to the coast, reasonably close to the Broads. That option to escape almost every weekend in the summer is a big draw right now. But whenever we come back from a few days afloat, the bug is well and truly back and we start to look at what might be next.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

I'm tempted to try March myself for the first time next year, partly due to your photos and comments about the lack of boats.

I would definitely say to go for it. The ease of mooring, and the peace and quiet of being on your own at moorings that are full in the summer, was a big plus for us. 

I could see that a lot of the bushes and trees were coming into bud and it won't be long before it's all looking a lot greener. There were places where we could see that the reeds had been cut back and trees cut down so at times it looked very bare. With only one sunny day really, my video clips may well look quite grey and gloomy but there was so much wildlife about, more than I think I've seen on other occasions. And patches of wild daffodils that lit up the riverside with their beautiful shades of yellow.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Seagypsy said:

Saw Thunder and Silver Cloud (Trambo on board) had a chat with him at Womack

So there were a few of us around last week. Do we have a calendar somewhere on the forum that people can post when they're going to be afloat, if they so wish? I have always been reticent in the past to advertise that I'm away from home but there's no doubt that it would be nice to know which forumites are around and give them a special wave at the very least. :default_icon_wave:

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

So there were a few of us around last week. Do we have a calendar somewhere on the forum that people can post when they're going to be afloat, if they so wish? I have always been reticent in the past to advertise that I'm away from home but there's no doubt that it would be nice to know which forumites are around and give them a special wave at the very least. :default_icon_wave:

Hi Jean, there is a calendar on another forum type in ( who's on the broads the same time as me) note Clanger on list.  Site is www.mynorfolkbroadsboating.co.uk

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

There’s a thread called ‘Anyone afloat this weekend’ which lets others know if the poster so wishes

A calendar with dates could be set up in the members section I would surmise. You’d have to ask those scurrilous admin types :default_norty:

Griff

Thanks Griff. I’d forgotten about that thread. 

It appears you had a lovely time, we had Reflection 1 twice under Swan ownership she is great boat, cosy warm and from experience the best fitted of her type by a country mile including an airing cupboard. I am bit of an anorak and review website bookings and can say that the ex Swan boats are almost all fully booked from March to the end October already and are by far some of the most popular boats on the Broads beating several of the newish fly bridge types. Richardson's definitely made a good decision buying these boats.

Neil

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Captain said:

I am bit of an anorak and review website bookings and can say that the ex Swan boats are almost all fully booked from March to the end October already and are by far some of the most popular boats on the Broads beating several of the newish fly bridge types.

I'm the same Neil. Hubby and I were talking about whether we should book early if we want to do the same next year or whether to chance waiting for discounts from other yards. Ferry Marina had some offers which I don't think I had ever seen them do but of course they changed hands this year. Didn't see any of their boats out apart from a day boat. Thing is that we are quite particular about what we need and of course if you get next year at this year's prices then that in itself may work out to be cheaper depending on any price rises for the next season.

The couple who had been out on Swan Radiance last week seemed to be considering rebooking and the chap in the office told them not to hang around too long.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kron said:

like the others in the Swancraft range it's like goldust

That's the exact point. Swancraft used Alpha moulds and fitted them out to a very high standard. As Alphacraft have now gone the moulds seem to have been taken by Barnes Brinkcraft so whether they they will allow any out or any other yard will want to deal with them remains to be seen. That's why Alpha based craft are in such demand on the hire side and are so sought after privately. Alphacraft knew what they were doing and in my humble opinion no one has produced a mould to match them since. It's all very sad. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SwanR said:

I'm the same Neil. Hubby and I were talking about whether we should book early if we want to do the same next year or whether to chance waiting for discounts from other yards. Ferry Marina had some offers which I don't think I had ever seen them do but of course they changed hands this year. Didn't see any of their boats out apart from a day boat. Thing is that we are quite particular about what we need and of course if you get next year at this year's prices then that in itself may work out to be cheaper depending on any price rises for the next season.

The couple who had been out on Swan Radiance last week seemed to be considering rebooking and the chap in the office told them not to hang around too long.

An Emblem was with us at Womack said they had a good deal including free diesel also on back of Richos brochure book by Oct.31 5% off and this years prices £50.00 deposit

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Seagypsy said:

An Emblem was with us at Womack said they had a good deal including free diesel also on back of Richos brochure book by Oct.31 5% off and this years prices £50.00 deposit

Good to know that one of the Emblem fleet was out. You reminded me that I hadn't mentioned our fuel usage. We had used £41 of diesel this time so that was £79 back. Admittedly we managed to go with the tide on most days, partly due to luck and partly down to planning.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SwanR said:

Good to know that one of the Emblem fleet was out. You reminded me that I hadn't mentioned our fuel usage. We had used £41 of diesel this time so that was £79 back. Admittedly we managed to go with the tide on most days, partly due to luck and partly down to planning.

We used £32 fuel wonder why the big difference in deposit ours was £60 yours was £120

• 2 weeks later...