March Reflection

SwanR

9 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Lovely photos Jean. First time down Lime Kiln Dyke? I love that little stretch, I don't know how you've resisted it before. 

I used to get really confused on Barton Broad but now I love going across. So it took me a while to find the exit in that direction! Last time we went no further than Gay’s Staithe but I figured there would be no better time to try taking a look at Neatishead. Still met one boat coming out! Saw someone fishing down there as well so hubby reported it. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Stunning photos Jean.    Enjoy today.  Not sure if this is your last day or not.     No need for the bikini today but still a fab day in March.    Betting than winning the lottery , getting some good weather.

A cloudy start but not too cold although the heating on the boat won’t start in the mornings within running the engine. So it’s thermals on and coffee and toast to warm up until 8am.  We take the boat back on Saturday so we’re at the halfway point. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

Saw someone fishing down there as well so hubby reported it. 

Good on him! :default_icon_bowdown: they are a real menace down there 

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

heating on the boat won’t start in the mornings within running the engine

Sorry to hear that Jean, wouldn't have happened in the Swancraft days. Possibly cheap skating on the batteries?  We had one of the Evening Lights in February (similar boat) and the heating started without the engine every morning without fail. 

Saw on the other thread you are after water. It's on all the time at Ranworth. I'm sure Bridgecraft would help at Acle if you get stuck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Howard. Moored at Ranworth almost on our own, just two other boats here. Filled up with water and now having a lovely quiet cup of coffee. 

As for the batteries, we are of course using more power than we would at other times of year but did cruise for around 4 hours yesterday. 

Still loving the boat. :)

• Like 2

Glad you got sorted Jean, you cannot beat this time for a bit of Quiet and Peaceful :default_norty:

Hmmm, 4 hours should give a good charge, assume you've not used the microwave without running the engine? Swancraft used their own dual battery system. Running the engine at this time of the year shouldn't be such a big issue however as you shouldn't disturb too many people! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Hmmm, 4 hours should give a good charge, assume you've not used the microwave without running the engine? 

No cooking going on this week if I can help it! Lunch will be in the Swan at Horning today. :)

• Like 1

Have a great day Jean, remember there is more than one way to keep warm first thing in the morning :default_norty:

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

Saw someone fishing down there as well so hubby reported it. 

There was someone fishing at Somerleyton when I passed today too. It is closed season now right?

Evening all!

Day 3 ... mostly a grey day with some brightness at lunchtime but it didn’t last long. This morning we left Cockshoot Broad and headed for Ranworth to fill up the water. Three boats departed leaving just ourselves and two private boats at the staithe. 

Headed back to Horning where we moored on the public staithe for the first time ever! So lunch today was at the Swan Inn. Food was ok and the service very good. 

Having therefore spent the morning sorting out bits and pieces as one sometimes does, we departed for our overnight spot. A lovely cruise with the outgoing tide all the way to Acle where we then turned round and headed back to the Thurne. Lovely to pass our new friends on San Domingo 3 with a cheery wave and hellos exchanged along the Bure. 

Now which mooring to choose? Opted for Womack Water. Passed several boats coming out of the Dyke but found these moorings empty! So it’s another quiet evening as no-one else arrived. 

Yesterday we saw lots of kingfishers. Today we saw an otter. And this evening I am sat here listening to owls calling in the trees nearby. Wonderful!

83D0EC07-9274-4F68-AAD6-5055FF5C38E2.jpeg

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Evening all!

Day 3 ... mostly a grey day with some brightness at lunchtime but it didn’t last long. This morning we left Cockshoot Broad and headed for Ranworth to fill up the water. Three boats departed leaving just ourselves and two private boats at the staithe. 

Headed back to Horning where we moored on the public staithe for the first time ever! So lunch today was at the Swan Inn. Food was ok and the service very good. 

Having therefore spent the morning sorting out bits and pieces as one sometimes does, we departed for our overnight spot. A lovely cruise with the outgoing tide all the way to Acle where we then turned round and headed back to the Thurne. Lovely to pass our new friends on San Domingo 3 with a cheery wave and hellos exchanged along the Bure. 

Now which mooring to choose? Opted for Womack Water. Passed several boats coming out of the Dyke but found these moorings empty! So it’s another quiet evening as no-one else arrived. imageproxy.php?img=&key=58c9797d2ed25bd5

Yesterday we saw lots of kingfishers. Today we saw an otter. And this evening I am sat here listening to owls calling in the trees nearby. Wonderful!

83D0EC07-9274-4F68-AAD6-5055FF5C38E2.jpeg

Lovely Mrs SwanR, glad you had a good day.

I'm listening to the thrum of a Broom Captain engine.

I'll be popping next door shortly :default_biggrin:

We found that the Captains are not that hot on batteries,   especially in the colder months.      The heating really needs the engine running.   Mind you compared to the racket a Connoisseur makes they are  (oh for God's sakes)  P U S S Y cats.      It got a load of stars for a word that is used every day of the week.  

• Haha 1

Morning All!

A quick post to say that the heating started up with no problem this morning. My theory is that on takeover day there is no guarantee of a fully charged battery. A couple of hours cruise was all we did. The next day we were mostly diddling along at 3 to 4 mph. Plenty of hours done but at lower revs. Yesterday’s run down the Bure gave us a couple of hours at higher revs on the 5 & 6 mph stretches and presumably gave the batteries a better charge. That’s my guess but boaty folk may know whether I’m likely to be right. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, SwanR said:

Morning All!

A quick post to say that the heating started up with no problem this morning. My theory is that on takeover day there is no guarantee of a fully charged battery. A couple of hours cruise was all we did. The next day we were mostly diddling along at 3 to 4 mph. Plenty of hours done but at lower revs. Yesterday’s run down the Bure gave us a couple of hours at higher revs on the 5 & 6 mph stretches and presumably gave the batteries a better charge. That’s my guess but boaty folk may know whether I’m likely to be right. 

Sounds right to me Jean, especially as you could have been the boat's first hirers of the year. Usually when boarding at Richardsons they've had the engine running. I've always bemoaned them doing that as it's me paying for the fuel that's been used before I've even stepped aboard but I can understand why they do that now.

Does it have a battery indicator gauge? I seem to recall Swan Roamer has one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jbx5 said:

I see you are struggling to find a mooring  again Jean this morning

Big brother is watching !

John

8742CBDB-31FB-4BBE-9823-5F6D57EABC67.jpeg

Love this. How funny! Were you by any chance walking along the bank? 

I am notorious for ending up moored across a bend so was taking my time!! :default_eusa_dance:

8 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Does it have a battery indicator gauge? I seem to recall Swan Roamer has one. 

It does. I think that the domestic battery dropped below 12 volts the first couple of nights but it didn’t feel quite as cold last night and we had more voltage this morning. Not that it’s been as cold as the only other year we were out in March. Not to worry, this is our last day. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2