Would You Hire Out Your Privately Owned Boat?

Boaters

Speaking from a syndicate point of view this topic is a none starter.

When we were allowed to change our toll from commercial to private (with listed owners/trustees)  we had to supply the Broads Authority copies of our draft contracts for judgement of our application.

From an insurance point of view we also have to declare all of our owners, their profession, and contact details. The same can be said for the Small Ships Registry. An owner has to be aboard the boat when ever the boat is moved from the Marina.

I would assume, most if not all syndicate, shared ownership and most private boats on the Broads are governed by similar rulings.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

As a hirer I can also say that I wouldn’t want to take out someone’s own boat. We class ourselves as relatively experienced hirers but that’s a world away from knowing how to look after the boat. Plus we enjoy the security of knowing that there are backup services should we need them. 

Hits the nail firmly on the head from a hirers point of view I reckon. A responsible hirer anyway. Well said SwanR.

• Like 1

We won’t even let our “grown up” (a term used loosely) children borrow Cerise Lady let alone friends;it’s not us being meanies but many years ago my late father in law lent his boat to some very good lifelong friends , who preceded to snag the prop , panic and abandon the boat (near Denver sluice) without telling him .

It wasn’t the financial loss but the loss of good friends that was the biggest cost to him.

If my daughter or boys (aged 27 upwards) wished to spend a week afloat we would rather hire them a boat as a gift than risk placing them or us in a position which could cause friction 

• Like 1

I haven't got the time to answer this is detail until next week.  As some will know WR was hired out through Little Ships for several years.  They moved to France last August and gave me about 6 weeks notice - since then a lot of hard thinking and different options and counting up the bills, etc, and the answer is now NO and not skippered day trips either, that was even more expensive in some respects!

Have no idea how I am going to continue paying the bills but...........there are a few possibilities.

We have welcomed our middle son to take Malanka out twice so far, and our youngest will take her out this summer.

I drummed into them there is no democracy on a boat and that they are in charge and need to let everyone with them know that is the case. 

I have no issues with them using the boat, they are responsible adults who know that with that comes accountability and they actually welcome that to demonstrate to us that our trust is well placed. 

They have never let us down and I do not anticipate that any of them ever will. 

If I cannot trust my own offspring brought up by us and nurtured by us and values given and encouraged by us then who on earth may I trust. 

M

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Malanka said:

We have welcomed our middle son to take Malanka out twice so far, and our youngest will take her out this summer.

I drummed into them there is no democracy on a boat and that they are in charge and need to let everyone with them know that is the case. 

I have no issues with them using the boat, they are responsible adults who know that with that comes accountability and they actually welcome that to demonstrate to us that our trust is well placed. 

They have never let us down and I do not anticipate that any of them ever will. 

If I cannot trust my own offspring brought up by us and nurtured by us and values given and encouraged by us then who on earth may I trust. 

M

Me :default_norty:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

If my daughter or boys (aged 27 upwards) wished to spend a week afloat we would rather hire them a boat as a gift than risk placing them or us in a position which could cause friction 

That's any interesting take on the subject CC and one that I fully understand, I have passed you many times on the rivers and exchanged waves so I know Cerise Lady is a fine vessel.

I have a slightly different take on things though. I remember struggling as a young parent and my parents helped me. Now I feel it's my duty to help my children, not that they need it as both of them and their partners have worked hard to get the jobs they have, but if they felt they needed to pull the reigns in and wanted a free holiday on a boat I would have no hesitation in letting them use it. Like when Mrs W and I are on it, we feel it's something to be enjoyed, not be over precious about.

• Like 1