Would You Hire Out Your Privately Owned Boat?

Boaters

22 minutes ago, Gretzky said:

Simple no, even if the insurance would allow it. Plus dont BA charge inflated tolls for hired boats?

Inflated would imply excessively, or unreasonably high, which I don't think is the case. Hire yards pay a multiplier of the standard toll, which has been reduced in recent years from 3 x to around 2.6 x the standard toll. The hire toll multiplier was designed to reflect the extra usage made of the system and facilities compared to the average private boater.

• Like 2

What happens when the hirer swaps the nice duvet for their old lumpy stained one or decides to remove the coffee table, clock, table lamp etc because they like it?

Or say they have an accident causing a small hole in the GRP then proceed to fill the hole in with say putty and cover it up with a can of spray paint from Halfords.

I`ve been told all these things have happened in the past.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pumpmedic said:

What happens when the hirer swaps the nice duvet for their old lumpy stained one or decides to remove the coffee table, clock, table lamp etc because they like it?

Or say they have an accident causing a small hole in the GRP then proceed to fill the hole in with say putty and cover it up with a can of spray paint from Halfords.

I`ve been told all these things have happened in the past.

And worse....

• Like 1

Let's turn things around, would I hire a private boat on the Broads? No, implicitly NO! I'd hesitate hiring from any yard unless I was convinced that it had the wherewithal to back-up and support its fleet.   Back in the day and probably still true today I could hopefully stop off at any Blakes or Hoseasons yard and know that I stood a pretty good chance of having my problem fixed and that I'd pretty soon be on my way, that alone is worth the premium of going through Blakes/Hoseasons in my opinion. 

• Like 6

Some thirty years ago after friends had a week on the Broads with him ,we hired a Freeman 26 from a chap who also  had some day boats in Beccles I only remember his first name was Jimmy.All went well till  we could not get  it into gear in Stalham .we phoned him and within the hour he turned up and fixed it.That was good until later when I realised that had he not fixed it ,then how would he have got us and the boat back South ? It was then I vowed to use a hire yard in future as I realised that I although we and the children had a good holiday.,I would not risk being stuck in the future ,with limited back up.:55_frowning:

• Like 2