Cheap Moorings??????????

Seagypsy

2 hours ago, Seagypsy said:

Moorings at Salhouse also apply to river side quay alongside Salhouse Broad

£2.00 up to an hour

£5.00 during the day

£9.50 over night

Not much in the way of facilities, especially on the river moorings.

That`s why we never stop there now. £2.00 for up to an hour?, should be free for up to 2 hours,  then £3 or £4 for the day, and around £6 overnight, seeing as there`s no facilities there.  It`s no wonder it`s never full these days.

I suspect the up to an hour is to catch the water hose users who just pop in for that. 

We were thinking if putting Malankas bow onto the beach area! Is that mooring? 

Its how it was done in the 50s certainly, and I don’t see a notice saying we can’t lol 

M

We don't mind paying for an overnight stop and might stretch that to lunchtime, especially if the money is helping with the preservation of the broad and the nature reserve at Salhouse. But paying for a short stop to get water is a little cheeky although even at Ranworth there is an honesty post for donations.

Guess if we want the facilities maintained then we have to pay.

Left the usual £3 at Womack Water last week.

35 minutes ago, Matt said:

We generally mud-weight these days and take the dog over in the dinghy when needed.

I would have thought these type of mooring charges do not help the local public houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

Careful what you say Matt, if anybody from the owners are reading this, they might charge for landing in your dinghy, then charging for walking your dog?.  Before you dismiss this, i did hear elsewhere that some places do make a charge for coming ashore in a dinghy, and charge for the time you`re moored there. 

I will add it was NOT on the Broads.

2 hours ago, Malanka said:

I suspect the up to an hour is to catch the water hose users who just pop in for that. 

We were thinking if putting Malankas bow onto the beach area! Is that mooring? 

Its how it was done in the 50s certainly, and I don’t see a notice saying we can’t lol 

M

When we started coming to the broads in the 70s that was the only way, a lot more fun

Careful what you say Matt, if anybody from the owners are reading this, they might charge for landing in your dinghy, then charging for walking your dog?.  Before you dismiss this, i did hear elsewhere that some places do make a charge for coming ashore in a dinghy, and charge for the time you`re moored there. 
I will add it was NOT on the Broads.

We don’t touch the bank. The dog swims the last 3 yards..........

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
  • Haha 2

In all honesty, I think the real issue is that most people expect "free" moorings - Salhouse is a charitable Trust and not only do they have to pay for the attendant for the summertime, they also have to repay to renew the moorings, which they have done to a fair bit. We cannot in one breath complain there are insufficient moorings and then refuse to pay the going rate for providing them!! I very much doubt that the charity breaks even on the money it collects so lets hope the Cators still support it!!

• Like 7

Thank you Marshman, one we agree on here.

In the past there were no facilities (but still a charge, collected by an old guy in a punt with a dog!) Now there is a piled bank with mooring posts, water points and rubbish facilities. there is a car park and toilets albeit something of a walk away. Money collected from moorings goes towards the improvements, but I doubt it covers them.

I would agree with the "Free for up to 2 hours" but only if they then charged £2 for water. perhaps they just charge the £2 to keep things simple.

Good luck to 'em I say!

• Like 2

Its a pub I never go to these days even though its pretty local to me - never been the same since they were taken over!! And the food is vastly overpriced for what it is. Classic example IMHO that it is one of those places that took a long time to build up a good name, but oh so easy , to lose it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Oh no it isn't MM! :default_beerchug:

P1070163.JPG

Don't think I would  walk there now.After we visited in December, thought the food was average to say the least. Lots of staff yet slow to serve.I agree with Marshman.Think it's gone down hill,why they moved the shop is beyond me,no longer get a discount and last year's Ale trail,wasn't a Ale trail at all.Think they need to up there game