Stokesby Shop / Cafe

I hear on the jungle drums that the cafe / shop behind the pub at Stokesby has closed for good.  The shop is to become a holiday let apparently.

That's a huge loss for boat users, it was always a handy shop and the FCE's were always looked forward to.  I'll miss it

Griff

• Like 2

I do often wonder what Broadside villagers think about the boating fraternity You often hear criticism of the number of holiday homes and holiday lets and its effect on the availability of homes for locals and the effect on local shops (if there are any left) but boats especially the hire fleets rarely get a mention.(Unless they leave their rubbish behind) 

• Like 1

It seems to be the case that very often on holiday places, the locals have a level of dislike of the tourists visiting there. In Cornwall they call them "Emmits" where in Devon and I believe Norfolk they're called "Grockels".

This dislike isn't strongly held, perhaps "irritation" would be a better word. There is some justification for this, a quiet village can be easily overwhelmed by the visitors, suddenly the pubs are busy, the shops have queues and screaming ill behaved kids are everywhere. Such kids are really just over excited and given more slack than usual as they are on holiday.

It doesn't take long to feel at home in a different pub over the one you usually use, so locals in search of some peace and quiet will go to places just outside the main tourist catchment area, and might not return so often to their nearest pub when the season eases off.

There is little the publican can do about this so might not bother to do anything. this would possibly cause such comments as... "but in my experience does little if anything to garner any such support " in reply to... "I wonder how much it was supported by the locals? The pub gets very little support  locally and is not unique in that respect by any means. Great shame.  "

Just my thoughts on it !

• Like 2

Having moored at Stokesby for the 3RR (that's The Three Rivers Race OldGregg :default_smiley-taunt014:) one year and taken the bus into Yarmouth to get provisions for a BBQ (Barbecue :default_rofl:) I can tell you that the bus journey takes quite a while. It's a shame to see these local village shops close as the locals who do not drive need them, and with many of the local bus services being axed it only makes things worse. Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It seems to be the case that very often on holiday places, the locals have a level of dislike of the tourists visiting there. In Cornwall they call them "Emmits" where in Devon and I believe Norfolk they're called "Grockels".

"

Just my thoughts on it !

In Norfolk you're a "furriner" even if you've lived here 50 years...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

Yeah I think to be successful you need to cater for the locals during the quieter months and build up a customer base.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It's a shame to see these local village shops close as the locals who do not drive need them, and with many of the local bus services being axed it only makes things worse. Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

Reflects my own feelings on this. I can remember when there was a Post Office/Store further into the village, way across the other side of the green. I used to purposely use this as this was the village shop and not an establishment that opened for 6 months of the year. I actually talked to the folk in this Post Office about this very subject and, even then, they feared that they would not survive because of the loss of trade in those months. How true this was. Now there is nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Wasn’t there also a candle shop in Stokesby? I seem to think that we went there back in the 90s. The candles were amazing and in all kinds of very clever shapes. 

Yes it was upstream from the BA public mooring. Now a private residence and the visitor mooring belongs to the house. Not sure, but vaguely recall the candle workshop business may have relocated to Yarmouth for a short while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It`s a real shame that all 3 shops are now gone. Just another one time self contained village now to be a bit of a ghost town.  I can well remember the time in the 80s when moored at Langley dyke when the pub was at the head, now a private house. Then there`s the shop that was at the end of Thurne dyke, now demolished and a house built on site. It`s the same old story, and the authorities wonder why holiday makers don`t stop there anymore.

11 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I wonder if the management of the Ferry have considered stocking a selection of groceries. It would get the locals through the door as well as the passing holidaymakers, and of course they already sell chocolates!

Would think it would be worth them looking at David.

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Yes it was upstream from the BA public mooring. Now a private residence and the visitor mooring belongs to the house. Not sure, but vaguely recall the candle workshop business may have relocated to Yarmouth for a short while.

Here yer go.....

Candle.jpg

4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s a real shame that all 3 shops are now gone. Just another one time self contained village now to be a bit of a ghost town.  I can well remember the time in the 80s when moored at Langley dyke when the pub was at the head, now a private house. Then there`s the shop that was at the end of Thurne dyke, now demolished and a house built on site. It`s the same old story, and the authorities wonder why holiday makers don`t stop there anymore.

I had no idea there used to be a pub at Langley Dyke. At Thurne there is a small shop now which is mostly a gift shop with a smattering of newspapers and provisions as well.