Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

Recommended Posts

 

I hear on the jungle drums that the cafe / shop behind the pub at Stokesby has closed for good.  The shop is to become a holiday let apparently.

That's a huge loss for boat users, it was always a handy shop and the FCE's were always looked forward to.  I'll miss it

Griff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much it was supported by the locals? The pub gets very little support  locally and is not unique in that respect by any means. Great shame. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The pub gets very little support  locally

but in my experience does little if anything to garner any such support .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do often wonder what Broadside villagers think about the boating fraternity You often hear criticism of the number of holiday homes and holiday lets and its effect on the availability of homes for locals and the effect on local shops (if there are any left) but boats especially the hire fleets rarely get a mention.(Unless they leave their rubbish behind) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess Griff saw the title of the topic and naturally assumed it would be a discussion about car emissions and catalytic converters so started his own thread! :default_norty::default_rofl:

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul said:

but in my experience does little if anything to garner any such support .....

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Paul! :default_beerchug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be the case that very often on holiday places, the locals have a level of dislike of the tourists visiting there. In Cornwall they call them "Emmits" where in Devon and I believe Norfolk they're called "Grockels".

This dislike isn't strongly held, perhaps "irritation" would be a better word. There is some justification for this, a quiet village can be easily overwhelmed by the visitors, suddenly the pubs are busy, the shops have queues and screaming ill behaved kids are everywhere. Such kids are really just over excited and given more slack than usual as they are on holiday.

It doesn't take long to feel at home in a different pub over the one you usually use, so locals in search of some peace and quiet will go to places just outside the main tourist catchment area, and might not return so often to their nearest pub when the season eases off.

There is little the publican can do about this so might not bother to do anything. this would possibly cause such comments as... "but in my experience does little if anything to garner any such support " in reply to... "I wonder how much it was supported by the locals? The pub gets very little support  locally and is not unique in that respect by any means. Great shame.  "

Just my thoughts on it !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's a huge loss for boat users, it was always a handy shop and the FCE's were always looked forward to.  I'll miss it

What's an FCE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

What's an FCE?

Full Cooked English. They also did food out the back I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having moored at Stokesby for the 3RR (that's The Three Rivers Race OldGregg :default_smiley-taunt014:) one year and taken the bus into Yarmouth to get provisions for a BBQ (Barbecue :default_rofl:) I can tell you that the bus journey takes quite a while. It's a shame to see these local village shops close as the locals who do not drive need them, and with many of the local bus services being axed it only makes things worse. Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It seems to be the case that very often on holiday places, the locals have a level of dislike of the tourists visiting there. In Cornwall they call them "Emmits" where in Devon and I believe Norfolk they're called "Grockels".

 "

Just my thoughts on it !

In Norfolk you're a "furriner" even if you've lived here 50 years...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

Yeah I think to be successful you need to cater for the locals during the quieter months and build up a customer base.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

It's a shame to see these local village shops close as the locals who do not drive need them, and with many of the local bus services being axed it only makes things worse. Perhaps part of the problem was it only opened for the main 6 months of the season and was perhaps not seen as a locals resource but a tourist resource?

Reflects my own feelings on this. I can remember when there was a Post Office/Store further into the village, way across the other side of the green. I used to purposely use this as this was the village shop and not an establishment that opened for 6 months of the year. I actually talked to the folk in this Post Office about this very subject and, even then, they feared that they would not survive because of the loss of trade in those months. How true this was. Now there is nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We once walked up to the Post Office, as normal it was a Norfolk trek, I think it was open but it was quite a few years ago.

I rather liked the shop/cafe and the cakes they sold. This is of course when I used to be able to eat cakes etc.

Regards

Alan

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t there also a candle shop in Stokesby? I seem to think that we went there back in the 90s. The candles were amazing and in all kinds of very clever shapes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Wasn’t there also a candle shop in Stokesby? I seem to think that we went there back in the 90s. The candles were amazing and in all kinds of very clever shapes. 

Yes it was upstream from the BA public mooring. Now a private residence and the visitor mooring belongs to the house. Not sure, but vaguely recall the candle workshop business may have relocated to Yarmouth for a short while.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It`s a real shame that all 3 shops are now gone. Just another one time self contained village now to be a bit of a ghost town.  I can well remember the time in the 80s when moored at Langley dyke when the pub was at the head, now a private house. Then there`s the shop that was at the end of Thurne dyke, now demolished and a house built on site. It`s the same old story, and the authorities wonder why holiday makers don`t stop there anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the management of the Ferry have considered stocking a selection of groceries. It would get the locals through the door as well as the passing holidaymakers, and of course they already sell chocolates!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

I wonder if the management of the Ferry have considered stocking a selection of groceries. It would get the locals through the door as well as the passing holidaymakers, and of course they already sell chocolates!

Would think it would be worth them looking at David.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember a fish and chip shop in Stokesby too, or did I dream that one up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Yes it was upstream from the BA public mooring. Now a private residence and the visitor mooring belongs to the house. Not sure, but vaguely recall the candle workshop business may have relocated to Yarmouth for a short while.

Here yer go.....

Candle.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

It`s a real shame that all 3 shops are now gone. Just another one time self contained village now to be a bit of a ghost town.  I can well remember the time in the 80s when moored at Langley dyke when the pub was at the head, now a private house. Then there`s the shop that was at the end of Thurne dyke, now demolished and a house built on site. It`s the same old story, and the authorities wonder why holiday makers don`t stop there anymore.

I had no idea there used to be a pub at Langley Dyke. At Thurne there is a small shop now which is mostly a gift shop with a smattering of newspapers and provisions as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.