Stokesby Shop / Cafe

But who remembers The Chequers, or where it was .....

Obviously none of us lot in here remember it.  I have seen paintings of The Chequers though at St Bennets Abbey

My favourite from pubs now lost was the Bridge at Potter Heigham - Happy memories of numerous lock-ins there.

Oh and btw the Barton 'Anglia' was actually called the Barton Angler - nice name for a pub, visited it many times

Griff

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 26/03/2019 at 07:06, Paul said:

but in my experience does little if anything to garner any such support .....

I'm always happy to hold my hands up when I'm wrong. However in spite of a couple of good visits in the past I'm afraid Paul has nailed it. We won't rush back. Not often I'm negative about a pub............

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I'm always happy to hold my hands up when I'm wrong. However in spite of a couple of good visits in the past I'm afraid Paul has nailed it. We won't rush back. Not often I'm negative about a pub............

Rather like the much hallowed on here 'Maltsters' IMHO. Never could see the attraction of the place  - certainly over the last 25 years or so.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The Maltsters isn't a bad pub, but because it enjoys something of a captive audience, I sometimes wonder whether it tries hard enough. The choice of beer is good, the pub is comfortable yet there is something missing which I can't quite put my finger on.

A choice of teas maybe? 😂

8 hours ago, Poppy said:

Rather like the much hallowed on here 'Maltsters' IMHO. Never could see the attraction of the place  - certainly over the last 25 years or so.

Yes, broadly with you there Poppy 

Location to die for and they do usually have Humpty Dumpty on. 

I well remember when it was Watneys!!!! :default_norty:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Yes, broadly with you there Poppy 

Location to die for and they do usually have Humpty Dumpty on. 

I well remember when it was Watneys!!!! :default_norty:

Not even fond of the location. The ices are good from the Granary - if you can ever get a mooring. For a good sized sailing craft the Broad isn't much good either, due to all the motor cruisers (understandably ) moored off.

Rarely go there unless by car.

• Like 2

We used to moor there many moons ago. Always interesting wandering on foot to the staithe and boat watching for a while. When returning to our mooring, we used to regularly ‘race’ (I use the term very loosely) other boats towards the staithe and then veer off to our own spot! Nowadays we rarely go there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lot of good posts on this page, or at least posts that I agree with, so they must be good! I've had some great nights at Stokesby, and at The Maltsters in years gone by, but they have always been down to the company rather than the pub itself. Neither are bad pubs but they are both as MauriceMynah says there is something missing. 

I've never been a massive fan of the moorings at Ranworth Staithe either, it was always take it or leave it for us. Much like Salhouse which many people rave about. I always thought it was my contrary nature, but maybe not. We mostly stay south side now, or south of Acle at least and there isn't much north of Acle Bridge that we miss. There are some lively spots on the River Ant, which for a while was becoming all that we went "up north" for, but as pretty as though places still are every time we moor there are evening are destroyed by engines running late into the night. 

And Vanessan, shame on you ..... that's evil. Made me smile though. It's the sort of thing I would do.

• Like 2

Having had two Broadside shops over the years I can understand some of the problems, not least the financial ones. With a 'normal' shop which runs on a continual turnover basis a 'holiday' shop has to make its money and then survive the winter with all its stock paid for, dead money, until the following Easter. Okay if the staff/owner had a winter job, I worked for Hoseasons brochure dispatch and then as spring beckoned as a boat painter in a yard. Don't know if it would work now but it certainly did back in time, good lifestyle, good living but then the hire fleet was more than twice the size that it is now.