Lovely Drone Film Of The Broads

Boaters

An excellent short film, interesting to see the reed cutting and the flooding near the locks pub, Really does show the usefulness of a drone, some may curse them but in the right hands it can deliver excellent results and this film proves it.

• Like 2

Am I alone in finding 'drone' films more than a little overdone now?  It doesn't matter where you look, TV, Youtube etc there seems to always be drone shots, as itf it's somehow obligatory.

Once it was a nvelty, but not any more IMHO.

1 minute ago, Poppy said:

Am I alone in finding 'drone' films more than a little overdone now?  It doesn't matter where you look, TV, Youtube etc there seems to always be drone shots, as itf it's somehow obligatory.

Once it was a nvelty, but not any more IMHO.

I think if done well they do enhance a film. Having the camera 15-20ft above ground level adds a perspective to filmmaking that you just can't get from a camera mounted on a tripod at ground level.

Also, because drones open aerial photography up to anyone and because they can be flown in places where helicopters can't it does result in footage you wouldn't otherwise see and some of it can be amazing.

But yeah, it's possible to overdo it and drone footage generally needs to be cut in with other footage in order to make an interesting film.

• Like 1

I have documented (i.e. made a video) of my flying club's Summer camp over the past few years.

When my family gave me a DJI Phantom 3 drone for my 64th birthday it took me some time to get used to controlling it (and that with previous experience flying model R/C aircraft before I moved on to full-scale).  Once I got the hang of it I have inserted drone-sequences into these videos which certainly have given an additional perspective.  The quality of the drone footage (including how stable the clips are) is quite impressive.

1 hour ago, HEM said:

The quality of the drone footage (including how stable the clips are) is quite impressive.

Yeah they really are and DJI drones particularly are incredibly smooth.

It's mad really. 20 years ago I was shooting on VHS shouldercams and editing on a pair of VHS decks, and today I have a camera in my pocket which shoots footage that broadcasters could only dream of even 10 years ago and can edit on an app.

And we can buy a flying camera for a few hundred pounds.. Or about the cost of hiring a helicopter camera crew for the day back in the 90's.

• Like 1