Sandersons In Reedham

DAVIDH

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Houses in that position would command a kings ransom but I guess would need planning permission which wouldn't necessarily be a given where the BA are concerned 

I thought someone posted they got it?. May have misinterpreted it.

1 hour ago, Cal said:

https://www.topsail.co.uk/boat.php?refnum=2046#images

ETA: Have to say that the boats all look very clean and tidy in the sales pictures. Much cleaner and tidier than whenever we have passed them in the yard!

It does amuse me a little when ex-hire boats are sold as "Professionally maintained from new"

They never seem to mention "Driven by a succession of amateurs..."  Not exactly "One careful owner"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Quoting what somebody told me, "they`re 100% overpriced", and that was somebody in the industry, just don`t ask me who.

I think it`s fair to say with that sort of comment from someone in the know, you`re better off making an offer for half the asking price, or even less, then haggling to half and sticking to it.

39 minutes ago, Cal said:

I would say yes. They are fooled by most sales blurb!

Maybe...

I would hope though that by the time someone had got to the point of wanting to buy their own boat, they'd know enough to realise that it's an ex-hire boat? Wouldn't they?

I don't get fooled by the things I know I'm not fooled by. Of course I don't know what I am fooled by...

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Coryton said:

Maybe...

I would hope though that by the time someone had got to the point of wanting to buy their own boat, they'd know enough to realise that it's an ex-hire boat? Wouldn't they?

I don't get fooled by the things I know I'm not fooled by. Of course I don't know what I am fooled by...

You would hope so wouldn't you but people tend to be overcome and have very strong Rose tinted spectacles when buying boats!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Just to update.

We have just had a weeks holiday on the Sandlark,from Sandersons booked through Waterways. We were disappointed when we stepped on as expected it to be a bit more modern,if it was a hotel I would have left there and then. As first timers it was all about being on the Broads so stayed.

We adjusted to her and this little boat had everything we needed as a family of 3 with 15yr old son and hubby being 6ft plus.

Sandersons staff couldn't have been more helpful,instructing us and giving us a file and Broadway paper that gave us everything we needed to guide us and we were given several phone numbers should we need help.

The Sandlark gave us a dated experience down to the hairdryer with 3 prongs that blew out cold air,,to the smell of the chemical toilet  which we will have fond memories of.

She got through bridges which eluded others and got us over Breydon Waters in choppy windy, tide coming in waters not for the fainthearted. I think we should have been advised not to cross from G.Y.yacht boat station  but they knew and let us go.We were only boat crossing and put our life jackets on.

We heard from the G.Y station staff Sandersons were calling it a day this year and we are happy to have booked.

I agree boats and boatyard need an upgrade but what a shame and good luck to the owners and staff.

• Like 5

Did you have a look inside the boat shed? It is like going back in time by several decades. How they manage to find anything I do not know. However, if you asked for a left handed screwdriver they would have one and would be able to lay their hands on it immediately.

Sadly all of this will be lost. Another part of Broadland will be gone for ever.

Andrew

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Did you have a look inside the boat shed? It is like going back in time by several decades. How they manage to find anything I do not know. . . . . . . . . . . . .

We were onboard Gainsborough Girl in 2018, the last time we hired in fact and the bulb blew in the forward heads.  We’d crossed Breydon and had moored at Reedham for a comfort break, so I popped into Sandersons to see if they had a bulb.  As you say, the shed is something else.  The chap I spoke to rummaged about for a good ten minutes, looking in various boxes and trays, accompanied by much head scratching  and muttering, before confirming that he didn’t appear to have one.  I cannot honestly I imagine how they’ve managed to maintain their fleet in the intervening period.

Utter chaos, but as you stated, sad to see the end of another long established yard.

• Like 1

It is a real shame, I do wonder how they would of got on if more investment had been made. The yard itself wasn't very appealing to be brutally honest. As southern yards go they had an ideal starting point. Reedham is a lovely riverside setting, with easy access to Norwich one way the North,Oulton broad and Beccles the other. Many a happy memory of being woken by the first morning train trundling across the bridge. Sad to see them go. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wussername said:

Beyond investment I fear Andy.

I just hope that there will be a sympathetic investment of the site, which takes into account the historical importance of the area. The developers may think otherwise.  

Planning permission has already been granted for this site I believe. 

10 minutes ago, Oddfellow said:

Planning permission has already been granted for this site I believe. 

The original permission was on condition the Boatshed was rebuilt prior to construction of the houses in line with the Broads Local Plan The shed is now in different ownership & is not being re-built so a new application has had to be made which is still under consideration

On 28/08/2021 at 13:25, Mouldy said:

We were onboard Gainsborough Girl in 2018, the last time we hired in fact and the bulb blew in the forward heads.  We’d crossed Breydon and had moored at Reedham for a comfort break, so I popped into Sandersons to see if they had a bulb.  As you say, the shed is something else.  The chap I spoke to rummaged about for a good ten minutes, looking in various boxes and trays, accompanied by much head scratching  and muttering, before confirming that he didn’t appear to have one.  I cannot honestly I imagine how they’ve managed to maintain their fleet in the intervening period.

Utter chaos, but as you stated, sad to see the end of another long established yard.

I had a similar experience, when the spring in the filler cap for the water cooling went sproing one morning and vanished into the bilges. We were near Reedham and our boatyard told us to pop in to Sandersons for a new one. Or rather a quite old one.

The inside of the shed was quite impressive and the whole thing was one of the more memorable moments of the holiday.

2 hours ago, Coryton said:

I had a similar experience, when the spring in the filler cap for the water cooling went sproing one morning and vanished into the bilges. We were near Reedham and our boatyard told us to pop in to Sandersons for a new one. Or rather a quite old one.

The inside of the shed was quite impressive and the whole thing was one of the more memorable moments of the holiday.

I have taken, with permission, some photographs of the interior of the boat shed. For me it was very interesting reminding me of some of the boat sheds of my childhood. It would however justify a more professional photographer than I.

The exterior of the shed itself i find iconic, reminiscent of so many similar sheds to be found throughout the broads many years ago. All of which have sadly disappeared, to be replaced by holiday homes.

It seems as if the shed was to remain, but now it seems under new ownership and I am confused as to what the future may hold. Properties will no doubt be built on the site beside the shed, if it remains. The plans submitted several months ago may alter slightly. They always seem to change at the last minute.

Andrew