When Did People Become Scared?

Cockatoo

1 minute ago, SteveDuk said:

If you are going South to North and need the clearance you can always moor at the Yacht Station for an hour or so to make the journey up the Bure a bit easier.

Just be aware that the quay rangers will collar you for a mooring fee. I tried the waiting for the tide stance last time and their reply was, you've got an engine. I was even collared last year when heading South and didn't have clearance under the bridge. Choice was to pay up or head back up The Bure, bearing in mind the first two moorings are 2hr emergency moorings and Marina Quays is closed, that only leaves Stracey Arms, where you still pay any way. By the way, does anyone know how to time an emergency to last less than two hours?

27 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Just be aware that the quay rangers will collar you for a mooring fee. I tried the waiting for the tide stance last time and their reply was, you've got an engine. I was even collared last year when heading South and didn't have clearance under the bridge. Choice was to pay up or head back up The Bure, bearing in mind the first two moorings are 2hr emergency moorings and Marina Quays is closed, that only leaves Stracey Arms, where you still pay any way. By the way, does anyone know how to time an emergency to last less than two hours?

Would you not take a chance and moor at the new emergency mooring at Scare Gap for a short period? A Ranger coming along could only ask you why you were there and would have difficulty disproving that you had just sorted out your ‘emergency’. (Make sure you have a viable emergency story handy though! :default_smiley-angelic002: )

In our case we didn't know we wouldn't have enough clearance until at Yarmouth. At which point a 2-3 mile cruise back to Scare Gap and then back down again was rather pointless, and probably would have cost almost as much in diesel as it would have to pay a day mooring. We were also keen to head off the second we had enough clearance under the bridge as we would then have a falling tide and would need to push against the ebb all the way back to St Olaves which was our destination that night.

• Like 1

I've found that if I ring the ranger station, they ask me the dimensions of the boat, ask me where I am, and then they tell me what time I need to leave and what speed to travel at with a time check location along the way so that I can tell if I'm late or early. They also keep a lookout for you going through the station and give a friendly wave. On one occasion with a hire boat with Uncle Albert onboard they gave us a call back as they hadn't seen us come through at the right time. They asked where we were and if we had a problem and then suggested we speed up a bit if we wanted to get across. Uncle Albert was spitting feathers at that! :default_norty:

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I've found that if I ring the ranger station, they ask me the dimensions of the boat, ask me where I am, and then they tell me what time I need to leave and what speed to travel at with a time check location along the way so that I can tell if I'm late or early. They also keep a lookout for you going through the station and give a friendly wave. On one occasion with a hire boat with Uncle Albert onboard they gave us a call back as they hadn't seen us come through at the right time. They asked where we were and if we had a problem and then suggested we speed up a bit if we wanted to get across. Uncle Albert was spitting feathers at that! :default_norty:

You mean they didn't come out and helm for you? How very remiss of them. I hope you complained.

I can't believe that anyone is scared of crossing North/South, but in my own rough unedited way....(I am no London Rascal) here is a demo of a North to South crossing as I pay no attention to what I am doing with my phone in my ever increasingly numb hand.

There is wind, whistling and even some "singing" whilst I successfully drop my phone and forget all about trying to video what I am doing.

Oh, and I may have had a drop of wine.....

one day I will do a professional video :default_rofl:

Edit....

I haven't checked these video's so if there is something in there that shouldn't be, please do me a favour and let me know :default_biggrin:

9 hours ago, JayFire said:

I can't believe that anyone is scared of crossing North/South, but in my own rough unedited way....(I am no London Rascal) here is a demo of a North to South crossing as I pay no attention to what I am doing with my phone in my ever increasingly numb hand.

There is wind, whistling and even some "singing" whilst I successfully drop my phone and forget all about trying to video what I am doing.

Oh, and I may have had a drop of wine.....

one day I will do a professional video :default_rofl:

Edit....

I haven't checked these video's so if there is something in there that shouldn't be, please do me a favour and let me know :default_biggrin:

Videos not showing for me either Jay,

Have you made sure they have been made public ?:default_smile:

49 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Thanks Jay but the gremlins have been in and sorry I cannot view either of them.   Bet they were a treat for a boring Sunday morning.

23 minutes ago, coolcat said:

Videos not showing for me either Jay,

Have you made sure they have been made public ?:default_smile:

Sorry i took them down as they are truly terrible, that wind noise on the mic and I really should pay attention to what I am doing instead of looking around everywhere :default_biggrin:

Back up now, mind your ears :default_rofl:

17 minutes ago, JayFire said:

Sorry i took them down as they are truly terrible, that wind noise on the mic and I really should pay attention to what I am doing instead of looking around everywhere :default_biggrin:

Back up now, mind your ears :default_rofl:

Yey...........I have got my coffee and now going to sit down and have a watch :default_biggrin:

Here's one of mine to add to the mix of Breydon water passages.

21 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

And here's Breydon at is harshest, just in case anyone was getting confident enough to try a crossing..

You really are not helping matters JA lol

51 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Enjoyed seeing your videos Jay. :)

Amazing the quality of what you can take with a phone these days. The light on the water was beautiful. Was it late afternoon?

Thanks

Yes it was, it had turned dark before I moored up at St Olaves last month

I think generally in life people just don’t like taking responsibility for themselves. It’s far easier to ring and ask for help - think calls to the ambulance service, calls to the police (9 year old screaming as he won’t go to bed....) etc etc

If there was a Breydon pilot service I suspect it would be often used!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matt said:

If there was a Breydon pilot service I suspect it would be often used!

Don’t give the hire companies ideas or they will be insisting someone has to take you under the low bridges at Great Yarmouth!

• 2 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 20:45, NorfolkNog said:

Good advice. You'll be fine! Keep between the posts but be careful where the channel bends particularly just west of Breydon Bridge and as you approach the Yare/Waveney end of Breydon. Its nothing to worry about though. We've done it dozens of times but me and the better half usually keep an eye on each other just in case a lapse of concentration should occur! You've obviously done your homework so it will be a breeze. Do let us know how you get on!

Well, we kept an eye on each other, travelled at the advised time, kept between the posts and really enjoyed the crossing. In our week on the Broads (finished this Monday) almost everyone we met was very helpful and we made sure we returned the help to others. A shout out to Richardsons as on the third day the engine wouldn't start, they were on the scene within the hour and fixed the fault, a short circuit on the battery.  We enjoyed our week so much that  earlier today we booked for next year! :default_biggrin:

• Like 11

On 13/04/2019 at 08:31, SwanR said:

Don’t give the hire companies ideas or they will be insisting someone has to take you under the low bridges at Great Yarmouth!

Some truth in that but I am sure a good number of people would appreciate the reassurance of having a Breydon pilot onboard. Could be a good little earner for retired gentlefolk like myself, forty quid an hour plus ale based perks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twowrights said:

A shout out to Richardsons as on the third day the engine wouldn't start, they were on the scene within the hour and fixed the fault, a short circuit on the battery.

Good that they came out so promptly, not so good that it happened. 

Glad you had a good time twowrights

We booked a 'one off' broads visit about 10 years ago and have come back every year since

I love boats, pubs and beer - tick

The dog loves looking at the ducks, walks and the odd paddle - tick

The wife loves scenery, peace, reading and watching the world go by - tick

What's not to like?

Back again on the 5th July!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1