Brooms Cadet Pet

Frankphughes

Hi, my wife and I have hired a cadet at the end of July.. we checked it out on their site and Hoseasons and it seems a fine vessel for 2. Is anyone able to provide a review of the vessel from experience. I am aware the company no longer builds craft. The pictures look great but looks can be deceiving and aren’t everything.. 

interseted in the canopy, ease of use, procedure for bridges, amenities etc. 

Possible itnary taking in Norwich and North Broads, if possible. We have booked for I week 

Katie and I hired Celia when she first entered the hire fleet , we found her to be very very comfortable .

The only niggle we found was that she lacked a step for side on moorings so if you have a small folding stool I would take one along.

The awning was well designed and we found no difficulty in its removal or more importantly in putting it back on when rain started ; the radar arch whilst heavy (as they all are) was easy to lower and raise, do make sure you drop the tv aerial also!!!!

if we had not have purchased our own boat we would have continued to hire a Cadet , our last two hirings were with Brooms .

My wife and i have hired Cavell and Delia when they were quite new, we found them excellent boats and just right for 2 people, they handled well and very comfy.

We found the canopy effective although a bit fiddly to put back up, we only lowered the arch once and found it heavy and as Cambridge Cabby mentioned lower the TV aerial as we forgot just as we approached Somerleyton bridge..........it didnt get damaged thankfully, we did find the table in the dining area had a block of wood fitted to floor and we kept bashing our toes on it.

The front berth is comfortable and has nice lighting which makes it cosy, the heating is very effective but you wont need it in July, the heads are compact and electric flush is handy however the shower takes a bit of getting used to.

We have taken both boats to Norwich and on northern broads with no problems, these two boats got us hooked on boating, we have also hired Horatio and Fry which are bigger, then only three weeks ago we hired Skipper2  which is similar to the cadets.

The staff at Broom are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble which is why we return.

Have fun, we are sure you will enjoy the boat.

• Like 1

Thanks Norfolknog. Makes sense now. 

Been upT Potter Heigham a few times  once in a boat thought could have got under but pilot gave good advice and said no. One or 2 craft coming from other side think they were Martham  boats, hope I got that correct.  Thanks again all, any answers to the rest of my questions would be appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi all,'re 'That Bridge' we were on countess of light a few years back & wanted to go through that Bright the pilot said now tide to high , river showing 5ft -4 so we say & watched him take several other centre cockpits through and asked again he said yes ,what had changed we didn't know! !!! He also said we had to be back the next day by the same time 4pm ish or we wouldn't get back through, 

Looking at the tide tables that was low tide time for that area & this was summer time not much rain,

Question does the pilot regulate how many boats go through the bridge?  

Fair enough a lot of the bigger ones can't but if river's low and heights right why not, 

Look forward to your answers 

5 hours ago, Willow said:

Question does the pilot regulate how many boats go through the bridge?  

No, but they have final say whether they will take a boat through.

Martham boats are based the other side of the bridge, they make it through more regularly as they are both lower than most boats, but more importantly narrower, this means the corners of the superstructure are closer together meaning they can use more of the arch, Martham boats only allow their own people to take the boats through the bridge,  (apart from their sailing boats that easily clear). last year I was taken through on Janet 3 with about half an inch to spare with the boards reading 5'11" and the best I saw last year was 6'7" when we brought Royal Tudor through after she was put back in the water at Martham, that week there were a lot of boats being passed through both ways as the water was very low. the pilots were pretty busy, literally taking a boat through, stepping off the other side straight onto the next boat and bringing that back through.

What an interesting concept.  Made me chuckle and brought back a veritable medley of memories.  At the height of the season I would put through 'that bridge' one hundred plus cruisers per day - hire and private - and often received the comment, "You must be paid per boat.  You almost run from boat to boat!"  Crews were surprised to learn that I was paid £2.00 something an hour whether I put one boat through or one hundred.  In fact, of course, if the tides were so high as to limit the numbers, the job became much, much more difficult.  Trying to explain about air pressure, wind direction off the coast of Scotland, neaps, springs, unexpected or forecast heavy rainfall to someone who just wanted desperately to get through 'that bridge' was, well, to put it quite bluntly, simply too difficult sometimes.  Punters were often told a porky.  The mains water pipe that crosses the river at Wroxham has burst - hence the high water.  Now that's an idea that most people can get their heads around and to watch the lightbulb moment on their faces when told such fake news was as much pleasurable as it was a relief.  The downside was that, having now understood the situation, the same punters then shouted the 'news' to every boat coming up the Thurne hoping to get through 'that bridge'.  I have little doubt that even canoeists were treated to the bad news.

To answer the question, no, there has never been a quota.  Although every boat turned away had no effect on my wages, the impact on my income was dramatic.  I always earned more in tips than I did from a subsistence level pay packet.  It cost me dear to turn a boat away.  I was never tipped for delivering disappointment.

And, yes, part of the job was the decision as to the certainty, or otherwise, of getting a boat back.  And, yes, I always advised the day and time slot.  And, yes, there were always people who had worked it out for themselves - wrongly more often than not.

To Willow I would explain that 'centre cockpit' boats ranged, then, from needing 6' 4" to 7' 2" and all stops between at one inch intervals.  Someone who had just been told that they couldn't get through on 'Royal Crusader' (centre cockpit AF needing 6' 9") but then watch me take forty-five foot long Connoisseurs (centre cockpit needing 6' 6" - at a push) through one after another, of course they would pop back into the office for an explanation.  I even had many a telephone conversation with boatyard owners and managers complaining that I had refused to put their hirers through.  My answer was always the same (after a brief explanation of facts as they apply at Potter Bridge) if they, as the boat's manager or owner was instructing me to put their boat through then, against my better judgement, I would take it through.  No-one ever took me up on the offer!  Whilst many hirers chose their centre cockpit boat because of the sliding canopy, few hirers would appreciate a boat without the sliding canopy for the remainder of the holiday.  Boatyard owners were even less keen.

And to Willow again, I have to say, the pilot has to make a call at the point at which he is asked to make the decision.  It is his decision alone, but that decision can be reversed provided developing conditions permit it - or the weather forecast changes throughout the day.  I cannot with any certainty remember what height Countess of Light needed, but, if she was a 42' Alpha centre cockpit then she would have needed either 6' 10", or 7' 0".  Nothing would have been going through that day if the gauge had been reading 5' 4" not even the Martham boats.  I suspect, because you were eventually told that you could get through, that you went through right on the point of low tide which had gone lower than predicted, which is why you were told to get back at the same time the following day.

Edited by expilot
Added note
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

That’s a cracking explanation from expilot, I think that needs to be ‘stored’ somewhere safely and rolled out whenever ‘that bridge’ needs explaining. 

Many years ago we hired Shimmering Light when it was a brand new boat. We had hired a forward drive from HW on the basis we wanted to get through the bridge. The airdraft needed was stated at 7ft, being a new boat the pilot was unsure of the clearance. He tried several times, gauging the possible clearance under the bridge, but to no avail. All credit to him, he really did try for us. 

Wow expilot, never realised there was so much to it, thought it was only tide. Good information. 

As an aside anyone know what the cooking.facilities are and how often might need to taken on water, have waste sucked out . I week two people in by the 50’s. One diabetic lol 

If you try and use shore based facilities when available then the toilet should be fine for the week (it was for us) , we habitually fill up with water daily when moored where water is available .

if I remember correctly Delia has a twin gas job and small oven with grill , and was more than adequate to provide the essential cooked breakfasts 

• 2 weeks later...

One last question. Really pleased with our choice of vessel, as said been before and first 3 times on Northern Broads and last time went south. 5he broom cadet says it has DVtT with HDMI slot. My question is could you use a fire stick or other on the broads. Either through direct internet or hot spot. ... it’s not a big issue but kids have asked about possible taking them later in the month

On 04/04/2019 at 08:10, expilot said:

What an interesting concept.  Made me chuckle and brought back a veritable medley of memories.  At the height of the season I would put through 'that bridge' one hundred plus cruisers per day - hire and private - and often received the comment, "You must be paid per boat.  You almost run from boat to boat!"  Crews were surprised to learn that I was paid £2.00 something an hour whether I put one boat through or one hundred.  In fact, of course, if the tides were so high as to limit the numbers, the job became much, much more difficult.  Trying to explain about air pressure, wind direction off the coast of Scotland, neaps, springs, unexpected or forecast heavy rainfall to someone who just wanted desperately to get through 'that bridge' was, well, to put it quite bluntly, simply too difficult sometimes.  Punters were often told a porky.  The mains water pipe that crosses the river at Wroxham has burst - hence the high water.  Now that's an idea that most people can get their heads around and to watch the lightbulb moment on their faces when told such fake news was as much pleasurable as it was a relief.  The downside was that, having now understood the situation, the same punters then shouted the 'news' to every boat coming up the Thurne hoping to get through 'that bridge'.  I have little doubt that even canoeists were treated to the bad news.

To answer the question, no, there has never been a quota.  Although every boat turned away had no effect on my wages, the impact on my income was dramatic.  I always earned more in tips than I did from a subsistence level pay packet.  It cost me dear to turn a boat away.  I was never tipped for delivering disappointment.

And, yes, part of the job was the decision as to the certainty, or otherwise, of getting a boat back.  And, yes, I always advised the day and time slot.  And, yes, there were always people who had worked it out for themselves - wrongly more often than not.

To Willow I would explain that 'centre cockpit' boats ranged, then, from needing 6' 4" to 7' 2" and all stops between at one inch intervals.  Someone who had just been told that they couldn't get through on 'Royal Crusader' (centre cockpit AF needing 6' 9") but then watch me take forty-five foot long Connoisseurs (centre cockpit needing 6' 6" - at a push) through one after another, of course they would pop back into the office for an explanation.  I even had many a telephone conversation with boatyard owners and managers complaining that I had refused to put their hirers through.  My answer was always the same (after a brief explanation of facts as they apply at Potter Bridge) if they, as the boat's manager or owner was instructing me to put their boat through then, against my better judgement, I would take it through.  No-one ever took me up on the offer!  Whilst many hirers chose their centre cockpit boat because of the sliding canopy, few hirers would appreciate a boat without the sliding canopy for the remainder of the holiday.  Boatyard owners were even less keen.

And to Willow again, I have to say, the pilot has to make a call at the point at which he is asked to make the decision.  It is his decision alone, but that decision can be reversed provided developing conditions permit it - or the weather forecast changes throughout the day.  I cannot with any certainty remember what height Countess of Light needed, but, if she was a 42' Alpha centre cockpit then she would have needed either 6' 10", or 7' 0".  Nothing would have been going through that day if the gauge had been reading 5' 4" not even the Martham boats.  I suspect, because you were eventually told that you could get through, that you went through right on the point of low tide which had gone lower than predicted, which is why you were told to get back at the same time the following day.

Thank you for that very good explanation,  

It should be kept for future posts on that " bridge " 

On 01/04/2019 at 23:19, GaryandDawn said:

My wife and i have hired Cavell and Delia when they were quite new, we found them excellent boats and just right for 2 people, they handled well and very comfy.

We found the canopy effective although a bit fiddly to put back up, we only lowered the arch once and found it heavy and as Cambridge Cabby mentioned lower the TV aerial as we forgot just as we approached Somerleyton bridge..........it didnt get damaged thankfully, we did find the table in the dining area had a block of wood fitted to floor and we kept bashing our toes on it.

The front berth is comfortable and has nice lighting which makes it cosy, the heating is very effective but you wont need it in July, the heads are compact and electric flush is handy however the shower takes a bit of getting used to.

We have taken both boats to Norwich and on northern broads with no problems, these two boats got us hooked on boating, we have also hired Horatio and Fry which are bigger, then only three weeks ago we hired Skipper2  which is similar to the cadets.

The staff at Broom are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble which is why we return.

Have fun, we are sure you will enjoy the boat.

Thanks Gary and Dawn, really helpful. I am sure we will have a grand time. Please PM me with any tips or suggestions. Thanks again

Thanks Gary and Dawn, really helpful. I am sure we will have a grand time. Please PM me with any tips or suggestions. Thanks again
3 days before a pump out, follow Griffs mantra if its brown flush it down if its yellow let it mellow. Electric loos take a lot of water.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Yes sorry that was sent via my darn phone,  little keys and big fingers I am afraid.        We had Captain and just the two of us.   Now there was an indicator in the head for the waste tank (which on one of the Captains did not function at all - that was helpful) but the other one definitely worked.      As I said we found after 3 days it was reading well ready to pump out.   So try and think where you are going and pop in mid week and have a quick pump out and then you should be set for the rest of your trip.      

Years ago we used to have the 'dump' type loos and although it was all a bit Heath Robinson or basic it certainly did not fill up so quickly as the electric loos.   

If you are staying down South Brooms will do a pump out for you free of charge,   they are open most days in the season.

All you need now is the weather.      Wishing you a very happy holiday.