Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

coolcat

Yesterday Out On The Water

Recommended Posts

Great photos and videos. I liked the choice of music. Takes me forever to find what I want for mine!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, it's very quiet, isn't it? You wouldn't believe that we are now in April. This just shows what an effect a late Easter can have. A very bad start to the tourist season, I fear.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Gosh, it's very quiet, isn't it? You wouldn't believe that we are now in April. This just shows what an effect a late Easter can have. A very bad start to the tourist season, I fear.

It is very easy to forget that businesses struggle with lack of trade when we are out enjoying the Broads and having them all to ourselves. Hopefully we will have a lovely warm and dry summer and plenty of visitors spending their money and enjoying the area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Great photos and videos. I liked the choice of music. Takes me forever to find what I want for mine!

Thanks Jean,

I fell foul (copyright) of using my own library music on a Youtube video before so now just use the Youtube library.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a well proven fact in this business that the bookings that you lose, owing to an early or late Easter, will never be caught up again later in the season. They are just lost.

At the risk of sounding agnostic I think it has been high time (for a long time) that we stopped basing our seasonal calendar, and our business planning, on the religious folklore of 2000 years ago. Christmas is on the same day every year so why does Easter still have to depend on the phases of the moon?

Discuss.      :default_gbxhmm:  :default_coat:

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

probably just the very Britishness of the tradition, I mean who else would base an annual holiday around such an out of the way variable. I just love how British Quirkiness insinuates itself into the world, and wouldnt want to change a bit of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, grendel said:

I just love how British Quirkiness insinuates itself into the world, and wouldnt want to change a bit of it.

You would, if you had to run a seasonal tourist business!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly Vaughan!  I heard those very same comments from one of the Broads leading hirers only the other day!! Only though, they added in a very topical point re the roadworks on Wroxham Bridge - I just cannot believe that NCC are not forcing those involved to do the work overnight! Is laying bricks noisy???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may have got this wrong, but believe the schools and the like are catching up with this and plan their holidays to even out term times more. I think this year the children's holiday starts the two weeks before Easter, so around here they break up this coming Friday and go back the Tuesday after Easter Monday. When Easter is at it's earliest they now break up the Thursday before Good Friday and go back two week after Easter. In addition to that I believe there is some latitude given to schools around half term to encourage different areas around the country to stagger their holidays. This should smooth out some of the peaks and troughs a little. However this is a double edged sword because with a wider window of school holidays the tourist industry will need to recognise that the peak weeks are now spread out over a slightly longer period and thus demand will be slightly more spread out and the peak season prices should reflect that slightly lower but longer demand. That was one of the drivers behind the government encouraging the staggering of school holidays to try and help the tourist industry and the parents with slightly lower prices.

It is also worth noting that the BA man the yacht stations to a fixed calendar, not Easter. They are manned each year from 30th March to 31 November according to their website, although I'm sure there is a typo there and it is the end of October normally.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It also has a bad effect on the sugar beet harvest. The date of Easter this year would normally have been the second Sunday after muck-spreading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

is also worth noting that the BA man the yacht stations to a fixed calendar, not Easter. They are manned each year from 30th March to 31 November 

Are you sure you don’t mean 31 March to 30 November?? :default_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Are you sure you don’t mean 31 March to 30 November?? :default_biggrin:

That's why I also mentioned the following "although I'm sure there is a typo there and it is the end of October normally." :default_eusa_naughty::default_eusa_naughty: 

I don't ever remember the yacht stations open till the end of November!

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/yacht-stations

I guess it's money for old rope whoever gets the shift on the 31st November :default_rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It is a well proven fact in this business that the bookings that you lose, owing to an early or late Easter, will never be caught up again later in the season. They are just lost.

At the risk of sounding agnostic I think it has been high time (for a long time) that we stopped basing our seasonal calendar, and our business planning, on the religious folklore of 2000 years ago. Christmas is on the same day every year so why does Easter still have to depend on the phases of the moon?

Discuss.      :default_gbxhmm:  :default_coat:

Bit older than 2000 years Easter came about because they were celebrating passover. Which marks the flight from Egypt in the old testament. Both are based on the Moon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess its all down to getting the tides right for crossing the red sea then.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what time low water is on the 31 November? Must look in the Broads Authority tides book.......

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vanessan said:

I wonder what time low water is on the 31 November? Must look in the Broads Authority tides book.......

Be careful because they have a habit of quoting high water instead of low water! Or at least they did one year in The Broadcaster. :default_eusa_naughty: but I have a suspicion you'll struggle to find either for the 31st November :default_rofl:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the 32nd? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, coolcat said:

Thanks Jean,

I fell foul (copyright) of using my own library music on a Youtube video before so now just use the Youtube library.

Thanks Jeff. I use the facility to check copyright on YouTube and mostly manage to find the information I need and avoid tracks that mean the video will be blocked widely. About to upload something this evening so we'll see whether I've got it right! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another video from Monday. 

This is leaving Womack Dyke :default_stinky:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.