Well! Today Was The Day

Yes today a six month journey of learning came to another phase. The steep learning curve of Amateur Radio begins from today.

Received my certificate yesterday and today was able to register for my call sign. So now I'm a fully fledged holder of an amateur radio call sign M7NJD.

So any amateurs about round Norfolk you may occasionally hear my dulcet tones (Or distant croak) over the airwaves.

73's and signing out

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations!

My dad was a keen amateur radio enthusiast. I'm not sure if he still does it but i can remember learning morse code with him when i was a kid and he got a new call sign after passing his morse code if I remember rightly. 

Congratulations,

Something I tried about 45 Years ago, when the exam was much more difficult. although I never took it as everytime I got it arranged I got posted or detached by the RAF.

I used to help RAF Locking's Amature radio station G1FC (Flying Corps !!! that's an old licence) and G3RAF) Often putting the morse learning tapes on for transmission.

I tried an online version of the test last year and it didn't seem too difficult, maybe I'll have another go when I retire.

4 hours ago, TheQ said:

I tried an online version of the test last year and it didn't seem too difficult, maybe I'll have another go when I retire.

Be warned of one thing.

The Radio Society of Great Britain who run the exams and also set some mock papers. Shall I say have a different version of English in the exam to the mocks. If not prepared for it can cause a bit of a wobble.

If you do take it a little tip read the darned thing at least three times before you put pencil to paper.

Here's wishing you best of luck if you do decide. The club I attend was so inviting and friendly that joining was an easy choice.

I used to have multiple site inductions for some sites I visited, Once as a general worker, and again as a supervisor, and sometimes a third as the person putting myself to work, each site induction asked very much the same questions, but the answer varied depending upon which hat you were wearing at the time, then again when filling out the paperwork, and signing a form 3 times with 3 different hats on. as I was the only member of my company on site I not only had to put myself to work, but had to supervise both my other selves too, it was handy that at that site they had a permit to work system that used different padlocks, so I would have to attach the different locks in the correct places and in the correct order, all the time my permits were in force they were locked with my key, anyone else who wanted to work on the same equipment could not do so as long as my permit was locked in the permit room.

Congrats FTM, it brings back a memory of early 80s when a work colleague was a amateur radio operator in Cambridge, he had a set in his car and for some bizarre reason i remember his callsign, G6 IXV, the most i had was a CB radio in late 70s, i did manage to obtain a VHF DSC  licence a few years back, essential for sea use i think.

13 hours ago, GaryandDawn said:

Congrats FTM, it brings back a memory of early 80s when a work colleague was a amateur radio operator in Cambridge, he had a set in his car and for some bizarre reason i remember his callsign, G6 IXV, the most i had was a CB radio in late 70s, i did manage to obtain a VHF DSC  licence a few years back, essential for sea use i think.

Yes only a full amateur licence permits MM (Maritime Mobile) beyond the Baseline or low water mark of an estuary. As I can now transmit at 10 watts and goes up to 10 km or limit of sight, Norfolk is the perfect county for it.