Herbies

Bob48

£20 seems a bit high for me, I may be parnoid but it seems to me its to put off private boats from using the moorings. As for how much I would charge for someone to use my morring, well if we are not using it then I dotn have a problem with anyone using it for free but the marina probably wouldnt allow it.

I know that The Waveney River Centre and Ferry Marina Horning used to allow their berth holders to swap mooring for short periods with prior arrangement, but that was when they were both in the same family. I'm assuming now that Len has sold The Ferry that arrangement has stopped. For most marinas it is an issue around insurance and security. My marina like most want to see a copy of your insurance and also know if the berth is going to be empty for extended periods.

When we moored on the river Gt. Ouse the then marina owner used to ask if we would tell them when we were going to be away so that he could let it for casual moorings. he claimed the revenue from this helped to keep the cost of the mooring  fees down.  We used to think it was a bit cheeky really and could prove awkward if  circumstances arose forcing an early return then  you'd be unable to access your own mooring also we had static fenders and didn't fancy coming back to find them covered with bitumen from a narrow boat as happened once. It had transferred onto our  white fibreglass hull before we realised it was there. It did come off but with a lot of effort.

Carole