Rescue At Gt Yarmouth

JennyMorgan

About 12 years ago ,before we had our own boat we about to.moor at Bremerton. Marina slipped and almost went in the water it was very close.I had to keep hold of Marina and drive the boat.She shouted, luckily there was people close by and we got her onto the bank safely. We don't want to go through that again.We had not been drinking prior to that but did have a drink after that.

When I see some of the awesome porkers afloat that I do then I seriously wonder how on earth they could be rescued. In the above link two experienced lifeboatmen, on a low freeboard boat, are clearly struggling to pull aboard a 'normal' sized person. Best I go on a diet! 

• Like 1

I wonder if she actually fell of a boat, or just off the quayside? Not sure the story actually makes it very clear.

Anyway, if you take a mooring rope tied off to a cleat and lower it into the water and tie it off to another cleat further along the boat leaving a loop down into the water, the person in the water can then get their feet onto the rope and walk sideways up it, thus aiding their rescue. This assumes they are reasonably sober and didn't knock themselves out on the way in. At that point a life jacket helps no end.

• Like 4

One of my abiding memories from when I fell in at Gays Staithe two years ago was how, especially with a coat on, my own clothes felt like sand bags strapped around me. Thank goodness I was wearing a buoyancy aid and two people were there to haul me out. 

• Like 1