What Have You Never Done...that You Want To Do.

Wyndham

On the Broads I mean,

I've never moored at Irstead, despite having the opportunity, must do it soon.

Never been canoeing, fancy that too, and sailing, never tried it but would like a go.

Next month we've also promised ourselves a walk from St Bennets to Ludham Bridge and from How Hill to Ludham Bridge, both firsts.

How about you?

• Like 2

Good question. Somehow every time I go I find myself doing and seeing something new even though I haven't necessarily planned it.

I've never moored on the mud weight overnight and I'd like to do that. Also I've never dropped the mud weight on Barton Broad at all and I'd love to do so and I can't think why I haven't done so already. 

Some things I've never done and never intend to - like moor overnight at Great Yarmouth. You'd have to pay me to do that one. 

• Like 4

simply enjoy the the rivers for a few consecutive days of pure relaxation,  can't even say I have had a whole week withought working for the last three years.  So yeah I would like to be able to enjoy what all you boaters get to enjoy.

• Like 3

I like to try to tick a few things off the list whenever we’re afloat balanced with mooring in our favourite places. Having ticked Irstead off last time out I would still like to moor at the church mooring near Horning. 

• Like 1

Ranworth - the only time we managed to get moored was on a bank holiday Monday. I wandered off to the shop for milk whilst they filled up with water. When I got back they announced we needed to go and get a pump out. So then it was where is open, who were we near to etc. One day I will make it to Ranworth church - although I'm not sure I'd make it to the top!

Horning - never managed to moor there, or Irstead. 

This year we are finally heading south - we're away for 11 nights so have plenty of time although a little daunted by the crossing having never done it before.

Too many things to list, but here`s a few.

Sailing on the southern rivers, too busy on the northern ones. 

Be able to moor up at Irstead shoals for the night, and do some fishing there.

Either canoeing (Karen won`t even try it, so maybe a small one man rowing boat?) beyond the limits of navigation on the Upper Ant, Upper Bure, and Upper Waveney.

Moor at Coltishall Lock, went there in Lightning last year for the first time, but moored back at Hoveton Viaduct Moorings and did some fishing.

Go beyond the hire boat limit of navigation at Norwich on the Wensum.

See all the upper stretches of the rivers restored back to full navigation status (Beyond the locks etc)

Live there.

There are lots more, but so many to list.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Sailed 

haven’t sailed since I was a youngster , tbh have forgotten how to now 

I think you'll find it's like riding a bike you never forget, it's there in your subconscious waiting to be awoken Go for it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

I like to try to tick a few things off the list whenever we’re afloat balanced with mooring in our favourite places. Having ticked Irstead off last time out I would still like to moor at the church mooring near Horning. 

Do you mean St Benedicts? I've only moored there once and it's an underrated spot in my view, really lovely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Do you mean St Benedicts? I've only moored there once and it's an underrated spot in my view, really lovely. 

No, it’s awful. I do advise people to stay clear of that mooring. The undercurrents are terrible, scary monsters appear overnight and the church is haunted. :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Haha 6

I'd just like to be able to get under Potter Heigham Bridge I used to in my younger days but it's been so long I've forgotten what it's like (Like a lot of things in my old age) but I do remember it being nice and different.:default_sad:

• Like 1

What would I like to do?  Take WR across Great Hoveton Broad - unfortunately that is not achievable!

Otherwise I would like to canoe down from Aylsham to Coltishall and Bungay to Geldeston or even the little bit of the Yare up to Trowse - those are all achievable but I would prefer to be a bit younger :default_sad:

42 minutes ago, w-album said:

What would I like to do?  Take WR across Great Hoveton Broad - unfortunately that is not achievable!

Otherwise I would like to canoe down from Aylsham to Coltishall and Bungay to Geldeston or even the little bit of the Yare up to Trowse - those are all achievable but I would prefer to be a bit younger :default_sad:

There`s a video on youtube of a guy who spends a few days canoeing and camping on a trip from Bungay to Gldeston. I think, though not sure, that there is also the same sort of thing for the upper Bure Navigation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Be able to moor up at Irstead shoals for the night, and do some fishing there.

Managed that early July last year for the first time. We were heading for Sutton but just as we reached Irstead early afternoon a boat moved off. Couldn't miss an opportunity like that. Had some lunch then fished just behind Lightning and caught a good mix but nothing over half a pound. Later after tea, when boat traffic had eased, I fished the far bank alternating maggot and worm and again had a good  mix including some nice perch to pound and half.

Moor at Coltishall Lock, went there in Lightning last year for the first time, but moored back at Hoveton Viaduct Moorings and did some fishing.

Did that as well last summer and strolled up to the Recruiting Sergeant.

Go beyond the hire boat limit of navigation at Norwich on the Wensum.

Did that twice on Moonlight and twice on Lightning. Interesting trip and with Lightning's shallow draught no worry about grounding at low water.

With Lightning's 43 foot length it is best to try and time it to get back to Bishop's Bridge at low water slack or just as the flood starts (for control) as you have to go close to the right hand bank (coming downstream) and you haven't got a lot of room to straighten up for the bridge, especially as there is sometimes a small boat moored outside the pub.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

There`s a video on youtube of a guy who spends a few days canoeing and camping on a trip from Bungay to Gldeston. I think, though not sure, that there is also the same sort of thing for the upper Bure Navigation.

I’m fairly sure someone mentioned this chap on here before which was how I found his channel. Simon, A Bloke In The Woods. I highly recommend his videos. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

We moored there last year on our first night. Such a lovely mooring. Had a deer visit us early evening while I was cooking tea which was great to see.

5:30 am was really really peaceful. Just sat with a cuppa waiting for the mist to clear before setting on our way back up to Wroxham. Felt like rest of the world was sleeping and we had this magical spot just to ourselves.

Actually what am I saying ..... It's an awful mooring spot .... Definitely not to be recommended 😎😉😃

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Kron said:

We moored there last year on our first night. Such a lovely mooring. Had a deer visit us early evening while I was cooking tea which was great to see.

5:30 am was really really peaceful. Just sat with a cuppa waiting for the mist to clear before setting on our way back up to Wroxham. Felt like rest of the world was sleeping and we had this magical spot just to ourselves.

Actually what am I saying ..... It's an awful mooring spot .... Definitely not to be recommended 😎😉😃

It was nice when it was like a wild mooring, you moored at the other side the lock gates were all over grown with bramble etc. and you had to walk across the field through the cows into Coltishall

• Like 2
  • Sad 1