Lures

Guest Ben.M

Guest Ben.M

Hi, are there any lures that work best on the broads(the Hickling band specifically) and is this method worth it or should I stick to the bream. Thing is I dont want to take loads of rods so i've got to make a choice of pike or bream, pike is more fun IMO however the last time I went we caught 0 pike. I do still really enjoy Bream fishing but its not as much as a buzz as pike and there is a way higher chance of catching fish :/

thanks,

Ben.M

P.s I did have a previous account but for some reason I cant log on so i've created this new one :D

• 2 months later...

post-137-136713769191_thumb.jpgTalking of lures, Pike ,or Perch, and the cost of them, quite expensive to be honest, I decided to make my own, so bought a load of fittings etc, found some 2x1 and 2x2, and away I went. All I need to do now is to literally try them, tune them, and hopefully catch a few fish.

Baz

[attachment=0]100_1390.jpg[/attachment]Talking of lures, Pike ,or Perch, and the cost of them, quite expensive to be honest, I decided to make my own, so bought a load of fittings etc, found some 2x1 and 2x2, and away I went. All I need to do now is to literally try them, tune them, and hopefully catch a few fish.

Baz

very nice Baz maybe a hobby that could pay you back a little..

Jonny ice sliceice slice

Oh, and by the way, today is the official opening day of the Pike fishing season. I know some places don't recognize a close season for Pike, but in general, today is the day, all the way through to the 1st March 2011

Baz

Ive always found the sink & drawer method to be very productive. A wire trace with a treble & a single hooked up to a dead sprat & a swan shot next to the mouth of the fish. Then just a case of lifting the rod up & reelling in on the way down.

I have used this method on many waters, including the broads and found it to be more productive than any lure that i have tried.

A single hook baited with Mackerel section or Herring section is very productive,although I have used lures etc in the past,they are very barbaric.

A single hook is far safer for the fish,why do you need up to nine hooks(3 trebles) to catch a single fish.

Try it, its more fish friendly, easier to unhook ,and much safer for the fish.

Hiya w44nty,

Appreciate your comments, and I too think that the fish is paramount, and to be protected as much as possible, it is after all, just a hobby to us all. My other hobby also includes the making of Pike Lures, which follow the time honored tradition of using 1,2, or 3 treble hooks, this does not mean to say that they are used with said hooks. All the hooks are easily removed and replaced, with, as you say, a single hook, and again I agree with you that a treble can be "barbaric". Fishing light can be very enjoyable, which I have done a fair amount,but, making sure that the fish you are after, Pike, can be landed safely, without the hook trace etc breaking and allowing the fish to get away, with of course the broken end tackle, not too pleasant for the fish, it's therefore a case of getting your tackle right, judgement eh. Anyway, safe fishing, and have a good day eh, see you on the river some time.

Baz cheersbar

Baz

I am sure all your lure would be just as effective with a single hook instead of trebles,my son and I have landed several large Pike using the single hook method.

You certainly have a talent making your own lures they look very good and I am sure they will all catch in the right conditions.

I am out tomorrow (Sun) fishing,lets hope I am lucky,when you are next down send me a pm and perhaps we could meet up for a bit of fishing and a beer or 2

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Baz ...... Just to put you in the picture regarding that w44nty fella. He`s the sort of bloke that comes down to my kneck of the woods (Dorset), Stays for one solitary week, and catches more bloody fish than i did in 3 months two gunstwo gunstwo guns:lol::lol::lol::lol: . Seriously though, he was, and still might be taking pride of place on the caravan sites wall of fame, so make sure you`ve got a secret supply tucked away where he can`t see :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Baz, i`m saving my tactics (or should that be lack of tactics :lol: ) for when w44nty comes back down here next year :naughty::naughty: . Also, it`s a very long drive to Norfolk for a days fishing, but i totally see your point though :naughty::naughty: . Regards .............. Neil.