Another Eye Sore

BroadAmbition

This no doubt has been reported elsewhere in here but I can't find it.

Anyroadup a picture tells a thousand words. The location is the northern end of the 'Triangle' island between Sutton 'Broad' and the river leading to Stalham

This wreck has taken up a popular wild mooring / fishing spot.

Another great advert for first time holiday makers afloat.

No doubt us toll payers both private and hire will end up footing the bill yet again to remove the damn mess left behind.  It needs doing sooner rather than later before it pollutes the water way if for no other reason - and there are a few of them that springs to mind

Griff

BA NBN 580.JPG

• Like 8

That looks like the one that was in a small cluster of craft moored at the very end of the Sutton moorings a while back. It was in a sorry state even then. I think I posted a picture at the time but not sure where it is. Agree, not a good advert particularly at the start of the season. 

I think that was the "Shed" that was once being towed by some wreck through Wroxham. I saw it a couple of years ago on The Ant, just the Wayford side of Stalham Dyke. Brave chap to tow that if the wind was up as his "Tug" had been re-engined with a very old square type Honda which looked no bigger than a 15hp.

I think he used to move it quite regularly, usually a short distance up or downstream. It’s been on the upper reaches of the Ant for a couple of years now. If it’s not interfering with navigation, I guess it will now remain where it is until it either starts breaking up or the BA decides it has to be moved. Be something for all the Richardson’s clients coming out to take photos of! 

Although only two or three hundred yards away in Broadsedge that little bay used to be a favourite bow and Stern mud weight for us if we wanted to get away really early without waking others in the marina.

The houseboat sank a few days after  the boat that caught fire and sank near Barton Broad in November last year. The boat near Barton Broad was removed from the water very quickly. The houseboat is still there over 4 months later. Maybe Insurance played a part or maybe it was deemed a danger to navigation. 

The last two or three times we’ve been to Stalham we have been unable to moor at the Staithe. There are two boats one named Pelican and the other with lots of flowers on the decks semi-permanently tied up there leaving little or no chance for a casual visitor to visit the town. We have taken advantage of Richardson’s kind offer to moor in their yard free of charge and have spent a few quid at the local shops and cafes (oh, ok and the pubs!).

Cannot something be done to free up these moorings for visitors?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Appalling. I haven't visited Stalham Staithe in a while so I didn't know this situation. If it was a car it would have been towed away to a compound and eventually scrapped. Is there any reason why the BA couldn't do the same? 

Yes, two reasons, one being it is not hampering the public navigation and secondly the cost of disposal.

• Like 2