Another Eye Sore

BroadAmbition

55 minutes ago, Minigem said:

No wonder I don't sign in to these forums often.

Perhaps the rest of your post has answered your own question?

48 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Mind you BA don't have much control over their staff do they? 

I think that is the sort of remark which you would need to back up with proof.  There are occasional criticisms of the BA here but they usually concern management decisions.  I think you would feel rather lonely on this forum if you want to criticise those who work on the rivers for the BA. They do a great job and let's not forget they continued to do it all through the lockdown.  That is why the Broads are still open for navigation today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Excuse me, that last post post seems to be quoting Vanessan. It was not, of course.

Certainly not me sir, I have the greatest respect for the BA staff out on the rivers. I think they do a darn good job bearing in mind what they have to contend with - from above and below! 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, MotorBoater said:

If a dogs mouth is too small for a fist perhaps a couple of fingers will do, so long as you don't need them for a few days.

Now this I have done, taught it me by a vet, a technique that also works when administering tablets. Force your thumbs into the corners of a dog's, or even a cat's mouth, forcing the animal's mouth open whilst pushing its own flesh between its teeth. Should the animal then try to bite you then it will inevitably bite itself. Never tried it on a Staffy though! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hylander said:

the dog which attacked Mr Weston was seen out and about whilst wearing a muzzle 

Perhaps it would stand you in good stead if you did not try to make mischief out of every circumstance on this forum.  Mr Weston is a forum member and each one of us should respect each other.   You dont have to like or agree with other members of the forum but we can still all be respectful.   

Mr Western has not been active on the forum since April 2016.

I am not sure what the poster concerning the floating rond and the BA response was trying to say, or whether he had experience of dealing with them?

Perhaps if he did, he would probably realise that that is in fact the most effective way of dealing with them - what else can you do? Usually the ones on Sutton Broad have about 5% visible with the remaining 95% below water and out of sight. You certainly cannot always cut them up with a chainsaw (you try standing on a floating rond and cutting away at it whilst you stand on it! ) so not sure why that was mentioned, but they have regularly to be dealt with at Sutton, as the whole area is just one massive floating rond and what turns up at the staithe, are just tiny little bits breaking off.

They are often very difficult to move even with their workboat and they certainly do not have facilities to lift them out - other ideas on a postcard to the BA works team at the Dockyard, Griffin lane Thorpe.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, marshman said:

They are often very difficult to move even with their workboat and they certainly do not have facilities to lift them out - other ideas on a postcard to the BA works team at the Dockyard, Griffin lane Thorpe.

Stick a post in it, with BNP emblazoned upon it, we'll shift it, pronto!!

11 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Mr Western has not been active on the forum since April 2016.

Alan I took my information that Mr Weston was a member from the 'snip' below.        He obviously follows the forum, as reflected in his thank you post which the forum allowed.       Lots of folk are not members but still come and have a look see what is going on and it is good to know that what they are viewing is unlike 'Facebook' or 'Twitter' both of which I would not go near with a barge pole.

Miles Weston.PNG

12 hours ago, marshman said:

but they have regularly to be dealt with at Sutton, as the whole area is just one massive floating rond

In the days, back in the 60s, when there was no speed limit, you could go fast up there in a launch and watch your wash making the reeds wave behind you, right across the broad. It used to be Sutton Broad and effectively it still is, with the reeds floating on it.

To try to salvage a wide, long, flat lump of old concrete out of that place, will not be easy!

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

Lots of folk are not members but still come and have a look see what is going on and it is good to know that what they are viewing is unlike 'Facebook' or 'Twitter' both of which I would not go near with a barge pole.

A few years back I would have agreed with you. Although I steer clear of Twitter, I joined Facebook just to keep an eye on all things ‘Broads’. There are a number of Groups which are Broads orientated, including of course our own NBN. I have never felt the need to join in any ‘discussions’ on fb, there are enough topics here to debate with others - particularly if there is someone who always wants to disagree with you :default_norty: . But fb does have its uses. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

To try to salvage a wide, long, flat lump of old concrete out of that place, will not be easy!

Sorted, due to inevitable government cuts the Acle Bridge visitor centre is being severely downsized and relocated to a ready made, wide, long, flat lump of old concrete that will be used for the foundation. A win win situation that will also save on salvage costs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

Sorted, due to inevitable government cuts the Acle Bridge visitor centre is being severely downsized and relocated to a ready made, wide, long, flat lump of old concrete that will be used for the foundation. A win win situation that will also save on salvage costs.

And they can use the Ra, to take the flock of fascinated visitors back and forth!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The triangle Island between Sutton 'Broad' (That's a joke still calling it a 'Broad' nowadays) and the Ant leg to Stalham,

Most will be aware that the houseboat wreck above the waterline was eventually removed leaving the base sitting on the bottom.  The Ba have since tried to hide it with floating lumps of reed bank staked down with yellow posts rather than removing it.

There was just room to the left of sunken wreck remains to mudweight as a fishing spot.  I now see we have lost that to yet another abandoned wreck.  Will it never end? :default_smiley-angry047: At this rate all the attractive wild moorings on the Ant will soon be permanently taken up by live-aboards or discarded wrecks.  It makes my blood boil, it really does.  Johnny Crowes staithe is still ongoing, I've had emails exchanged with the council but looks like it is to be lost for the foreseeable future now :default_smiley-angry047:

Griff

BA NBN 1046.jpg

BA NBN 1047.jpg

• Like 1

At least if it is floating it will be easier to deal with. Just hope it is not coming in via any stern gear or faulty sea cocks before it is removed. If it also settles on the bottom!!!?

• Like 2

I passed recently on the Stalham Dyke and thought that it was simply a boat moored there. Isn't it just a typical example of how our country has gone down the pan over the last ten years or so?

Nobody takes any responsibility any more. The employes of the BA do a good job but there is a terrible lack of leadership at the top, and this from an organisation that aspires to be a National Park......no chance!

I was out on the rivers over the last weekend and some of the behaviour witnessed was dreadful, and it was not young people in the main. It is just typical, dump your rubbish here, dump your unwanted boat where you like, sorry for the rant but it is so sad seeing the Broads allowed to deteriorate.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Heron said:

I passed recently on the Stalham Dyke and thought that it was simply a boat moored there. Isn't it just a typical example of how our country has gone down the pan over the last ten years or so?

Nobody takes any responsibility any more. The employes of the BA do a good job but there is a terrible lack of leadership at the top, and this from an organisation that aspires to be a National Park......no chance!

Not sure why you say no chance when the real national parks are suffering badly from litter, overnight sleeping and the use of off road vehicles.

Looking at this strictly objectively (perhaps with a jaundiced eye?) we have a great deal more to worry about in these days of Covid, austerity and international terrorism, than a little bit of wild mooring on the Ant.

However . . . . 

This is a forum of responsible Broads users who have continued to "play by the rules" all through the pandemic and will still do so.  So the owner of this boat is just sitting there sticking up two fingers at all of us.

It is all very well for authorities to say that they are powerless, but they are the ones who make the local bye-laws.  If the law is not adequate it can be changed to accommodate modern problems.

So, BA, EA, Natural England, and all the rest of you - get on with it!  We (the toll payers) are still paying you to look after our interests.

And while you are at it, for Goodness' sake do something as simple as getting the bins emptied!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sadly , in all walks of life nowadays there are those that know how to work , and abuse, the system , yes it is infuriating to those of us who follow the rules and respect those same rules.

In order to get anything done we are told to write in to the relavent authorities with our grievances and they will take note and act if any laws/rules are being broken , we do so and are later informed that they are unable to take any positive action except have a word with those whom are abusing those same laws.

Vaughan is quite correct when he says the authorities that constantly tell us they are powerless are the same people who could , and should, apply for those laws to be updated to cover the regular breeches in such a manner that they would have the legal right to remove a vessel that does not hold a current bss or that has no valid river toll , this will not happen though , why? Simple ,to implement such action would be financial suicide , it would also lead to making the individuals homeless which nobody wants to see.

IMHO what the BA needs to do is permit more residential moorings in marinas , and encourage these permanent wild mooring occupiers to use them .

I should also add that over the years I have met many live aboards who are wonderful individuals with respect for the Broads , other boaters and who are an asset to the area .

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

IMHO what the BA needs to do is permit more residential moorings in marinas , and encourage these permanent wild mooring occupiers to use them .

I should also add that over the years I have met many live aboards who are wonderful individuals with respect for the Broads , other boaters and who are an asset to the area .

In the marina where I moor residential moorings are not allowed, or at least not as far as the BA is concerned, but there is now approaching double figures of "very very frequent visitors" to their boats. I think you know what I mean. It has always been the case in many marinas, although there are a few marinas that strictly abide by the rules and don't allow residential usage. The point is, if you want to live on your boat and know where to look, you can find a mooring in a marina, however like all marina moorings they have a cost, and that is why you will never stop the wild mooring and hogging of popular wild moorings as they are free. 

It would be nice however for the BA to make it easier to legitimately live aboard your boat in a marina for those who are happy to pay for their residential mooring.

• Like 4