Toll Renewal Poll

Meantime

Current Toll System  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the current toll system is fair?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you agree with paying for a full years toll if renewing part of the way through the year?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would you support a move to a system of 12 months toll on anniversary of purchase of boat?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/04/19 at 09:00

I think you have confused 3 issues here. 

1. There is a really good reason that you can’t pay for a part of a year - everyone would stop paying when they lifted their boat out. 

The result of a change to that would be the tolls would have to go up hugely to replace the money lost by everyone gaming the system. 

2. When you buy a boat should you pay only for the part you will use ?

Seems fair. Would cause a loss in income. But can’t be huge. 

3. The “yearly renewal from any date” system. 

This seems a really good idea. Coupled with an online renewal system which does most of the work automatically, why not. Requires low level resources throughout the year. 

• Like 1

Whilst I am no longer part of the boating fraternity having sold my shares in MS.  I can see that renewing at anytime during the year and only paying for part of the year depending on when you buy your boat could be very popular.

SueH

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SueH said:

Whilst I am no longer part of the boating fraternity having sold my shares in MS.  I can see that renewing at anytime during the year and only paying for part of the year depending on when you buy your boat could be very popular.

SueH

As I said earlier it works for cars also which I didn't mention it works on the canals. As I hire it doesn't affect me I am just looking at it from the private owners point of view

1 hour ago, SueH said:

SueH

This would be the fairest move of all.

• Like 1

Although my poll answers follow the majority in each case it is more of a wish list than a complaint about the current system which, by and large, works. We know the rules when we buy a boat and whatever your feelings about how the money is spent if you do a simple comparison of the outstanding natural area where we can enjoy our boats and the overall cost then it's good value for money, in my view at least.

• Like 2

I saw my Toll rise by over 35% from buying in 2010 to selling in 2018.

Initially I did believe the Toll represented good value for money but my perception changed with the obscene hike a few years ago.  

I realised then that while I was giving the Broads Authority access to my wallet they could decide to take from it whatever they wish and at that point I decided the boat was a liability I no longer wanted. 

There is no control over Toll levels.  Outcry each time they are increased (yearly) will continue but nothing will ever be done to kerb it and it will only continue to go up.  Im sure I cant have been the only one who has had enough! 

For this reason im not sure I would ever want to own another boat on the broads, when the whim takes I will hire.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

That's a fair point, it is ultimately our own perception of value for money that affects our decision making, as it should be. 

I guess a big factor will be how much time we are able to spend afloat... though of course we have no control over hire charge increases either! 

You pays yer money and makes yer choice 🙂

• Like 3