Fishermans Inn - Burgh Castle

Smoggy

A big thumbs up for the fishermans this season, it's a pub again!

Joe that ran the berney before has a 6 year lease and is running as a proper pub all year round, beer is nicely priced, grub is cheap and cheerful but I was very happy with what I got for the price.

Beer served till sensible times unlike the last lot that wanted to be at home by 10.00.

Worthy of support, a much needed pub by breydon.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

In its previous guise it went from bad to worse so it can only get better! A six year lease won't allow for much needed investment but if the company, the beer and the food is good then that gets my vote. I've only ever been by car or have walked across from Goodchild's so can't comment on the moorings but on a nice day its a grand place to watch the world going by whilst enjoying a pint, probably the widest panorama in Broadland.

• Like 2

According to a friend of ours Dave, who has just moved his boat there from Reedham, that is the case and when we passed the moorings on our way back North a week ago all the moorings appeared to be open but the electric posts were still covered up and I am led to believe they will now be responsible for them

Boycee

Thanks for that information, I will make sure to find time to drop in next time I am passing.

Hopefully the pub will come around to what it used to be.

"The last lot" did not have a clue about running a pub. A few years ago I was rudely eased out the door because I was the only person in there and the grumpy landlord wanted to go home. All the caravanners that used to use the pub had obviously gone elsware because of the rude service. It used to be such a thriving happy place at one time.

I am looking forwards to sitting on the balcony and watching the Marsh Harriers and the occasional Owl wheeling over the extensive marshes and sipping a few pints of hopefully excellent beer . Sunset on a calm evening there is a treasure to behold.

Does anybody know about the history of the building? It does look in construction like an old military NAFFI as is the Norada at Potter Heigham. Both buildings have a character of their own and are quite interesting. 

42 minutes ago, Troutbridge said:

Does anybody know about the history of the building?

According to the Norfolk pubs database it's only been on the go since 1976 so could be quite a recent building. Carol may know more though. 

4 hours ago, boycee said:

According to a friend of ours Dave, who has just moved his boat there from Reedham, that is the case and when we passed the moorings on our way back North a week ago all the moorings appeared to be open but the electric posts were still covered up and I am led to believe they will now be responsible for them

Boycee

Hi Boycee, Just to clarify, are you talking about the pontoons, moorings and electric posts  that make up Burgh Castle Marina? or the old BA Burgh Castle mooring which I thought the EA had closed?

If the people who own the pub also own the old marina, then I wonder if they will provide some over night visitor moorings to make an overnight visit to the pub easier? Currently there is not a lot of mooring directly outside the pub and the piling is very deep and unforgiving there.

Passing by on the river you might think that the Fisherman's location is very remote, but right behind it are several large holiday parks, one of which we are going to sample tomorrow. Knowing the price and quality of the food normally dished up by the various outlets on these parks and the prices charged at the bar (they make the New Inn look "budget") there is a large potential market right next door.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick visit today and one of the best pints I've had in ages. Timothy Taylors Landlord is not an easy beer to manage and it was perfect. :91_thumbsup:

Place looks spruced up too. Folks outside enjoying the sun and the stunning views. The TTL was an amazing 3.50 a pint. Seriously impressed. Spoke to the guy who I assume is the new landlord. Very customer focused. He will do well. I certainly hope so. 

DSC_6943.JPG

DSC_6944.JPG

DSC_6949.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, I did say I would report back from our visit at Easter. Can only agree with Howard's assessment. Nipped down on a Wednesday lunchtime, beautiful day. Nice to see a couple of hire boats on the moorings and several groups drinking. The Adnam's Ghost Ship was superb and an even more reasonable 3.30 a pint. Sat out on the patio looking over the marshes, could have stayed all afternoon. 

Went back the following evening with the familt in tow. Beer was just as good second time around!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Paul said:

Went back the following evening with the familt in tow. Beer was just as good second time around!

Good to hear, I do keep meaning to pop in and give them my custom, I'll have to have a look when I am back on the rivers shortly.

The moorings are what they are, they are solid, with a good depth of water but are concrete so good fendering is needed. I'm sorry I didn't walk up to the "Fort" moorings to see what was going on with them. 

Always approach against the tide which runs quite quickly here, especially the ebb. 

• Like 2

No help for hirers but I have some hard plastic pipes that slot together and can be strung outside the fenders to bridge the gaps in the steel piling, they normally hang from the handrails straight down at places like reedham as it gives protection at all states of tide even when the fenders ride over the quay and stops the boat going over the quay on really high tides as they hang down below the boat.

Being slot together they are fairly easy to stow too, 63mm mains water pipe has nominal bore of 51mm so a bit of 2" stainless tube can make a great spigot but you need to turn one end down so they separate easy, run rope all the way through.

• Like 1