• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

kevbythebeach

Plans For A Caribbean Cruiser

Hello

I am just about to buy a caribbean cruiser 39ft. Does anyone have access to the boat plans that I could get a copy of? A scan would be fine, I don't need the originals.

Cheers

Kevin

• Like 1

Firstly welcome to the forum, secondly there is a Caribbean Owners Club/F.Wilds Appreciation Society or whatever out there, Google might find it. Otherwise let's hope that someone has the answer that you want.  

Having looked at a number of Bounty 35/37ft boats recently I can say almost no two  boats are the same internally, don't know if this helps you or not lol.

And welcome to the forum. Is it the one in Brighton that hasn't moved for 5yrs? 

I see that the Brighton one is under offer. Load of dosh!

25 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I see that the Brighton one is under offer. Load of dosh!

The Yellow one? Was a private sale when I saw the advert. Gumtree or Preloved I believe.

8 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Yep, same boat but now bit cheaper and with a broker.

South Coast marina price?

Lots of not very brilliant DIY tongue and groove timber work too, I reckon that she's grossly overpriced by Broads standards. 

9 hours ago, VetChugger said:

And a non-running engine??? Will only attract liveaboards in that sort of condition.

It got the boat to the marina 5yrs ago but hasn`t been run since and the lady knows nothing more about it.

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

South Coast marina price?

Lots of not very brilliant DIY tongue and groove timber work too, I reckon that she's grossly overpriced by Broads standards. 

It does come with the moorings in the marina.

Here is the Wilds Caribbean as advertised in Hoseasons brochure of 1971.

caribbean.thumb.jpeg.6daa413a8faf6b938a9d4a62cd4a85a2.jpeg

Unfortunately someone seems to have cut out the bit with an interior plan!

So here is another Caribbean, from Blakes brochure of 1976.

1314572616_tropicalheart1.thumb.jpeg.cb2c950a396b2545b714253daa2625c7.jpeg

These boats must have been bought by Hearts in the days of Jenners and I remember that they were then re-engined with a Perkins 4107 engine (under the bed amidships) on a shaft drive with a Borg Warner gearbox. If one of those came up for sale, it would be worth having!

Notice that the layout is predominantly single beds, to satisfy the needs of the market in those days. There was, however, a very convenient double bed in the saloon, which folded up into the bulkhead and so could be left made up during the day. I believe this was a "Wilds" invention.

As for the one advertised, personally, I wouldn't go near it! It obviously hasn't been out of the water for quite a while, so will need a full hull re-fit. All the DIY conversion work for living aboard would, in my view, decrease the value rather than enhance it and you might spend several thousands stripping it all out again! Getting the engine running, or replacing it, is not a major problem but the hydraulic drives in those boats were an early design which was never too reliable and lost a lot of power through the hydraulics. It would by now be highly suspect and very costly to replace.

By the way, were they still building Caribbeans in 1979? If so, they were the ones exported to France by Blue Line.

• Like 2

I like the brochure page, Vaughan. The stand out phrase that dates it and made me smile is "book a television set". Ooh, the luxury! 

• Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 12:46, Broads01 said:

I like the brochure page, Vaughan. The stand out phrase that dates it and made me smile is "book a television set". Ooh, the luxury! 

Back then a black and white portable television cost over forty quid which, in today's money, is over five hundred & sixty pounds. It was luxury back then! Getting a good picture was worse than getting a mobile signal at Horning. Aerials balanced on stools balanced on cabin roofs or mop and boathook lashed together to form masts. You could always tell the Yorkshire boats, the wife would be standing on the roof, even on the stool, clutching the aerial so the husband could watch the darts or snooker!  Those men of Yorkshire trained their women well!

• Like 2

On 21/04/2019 at 10:04, Vaughan said:

As for the one advertised, personally, I wouldn't go near it! It obviously hasn't been out of the water for quite a while, so will need a full hull re-fit.

Anodes long ago wasted away in the salt water, wonder what sort of state the stern gear is in now! Like Vaughan I wouldn't touch it, I dread to think what it will cost to bring back into commision.