Plans For A Caribbean Cruiser

9 hours ago, VetChugger said:

And a non-running engine??? Will only attract liveaboards in that sort of condition.

It got the boat to the marina 5yrs ago but hasn`t been run since and the lady knows nothing more about it.

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

South Coast marina price?

Lots of not very brilliant DIY tongue and groove timber work too, I reckon that she's grossly overpriced by Broads standards. 

It does come with the moorings in the marina.

Here is the Wilds Caribbean as advertised in Hoseasons brochure of 1971.

caribbean.thumb.jpeg.6daa413a8faf6b938a9d4a62cd4a85a2.jpeg

Unfortunately someone seems to have cut out the bit with an interior plan!

So here is another Caribbean, from Blakes brochure of 1976.

1314572616_tropicalheart1.thumb.jpeg.cb2c950a396b2545b714253daa2625c7.jpeg

These boats must have been bought by Hearts in the days of Jenners and I remember that they were then re-engined with a Perkins 4107 engine (under the bed amidships) on a shaft drive with a Borg Warner gearbox. If one of those came up for sale, it would be worth having!

Notice that the layout is predominantly single beds, to satisfy the needs of the market in those days. There was, however, a very convenient double bed in the saloon, which folded up into the bulkhead and so could be left made up during the day. I believe this was a "Wilds" invention.

As for the one advertised, personally, I wouldn't go near it! It obviously hasn't been out of the water for quite a while, so will need a full hull re-fit. All the DIY conversion work for living aboard would, in my view, decrease the value rather than enhance it and you might spend several thousands stripping it all out again! Getting the engine running, or replacing it, is not a major problem but the hydraulic drives in those boats were an early design which was never too reliable and lost a lot of power through the hydraulics. It would by now be highly suspect and very costly to replace.

By the way, were they still building Caribbeans in 1979? If so, they were the ones exported to France by Blue Line.

• Like 3

On 21/04/2019 at 12:46, Broads01 said:

I like the brochure page, Vaughan. The stand out phrase that dates it and made me smile is "book a television set". Ooh, the luxury! 

Back then a black and white portable television cost over forty quid which, in today's money, is over five hundred & sixty pounds. It was luxury back then! Getting a good picture was worse than getting a mobile signal at Horning. Aerials balanced on stools balanced on cabin roofs or mop and boathook lashed together to form masts. You could always tell the Yorkshire boats, the wife would be standing on the roof, even on the stool, clutching the aerial so the husband could watch the darts or snooker!  Those men of Yorkshire trained their women well!

• Like 2

On 21/04/2019 at 10:04, Vaughan said:

As for the one advertised, personally, I wouldn't go near it! It obviously hasn't been out of the water for quite a while, so will need a full hull re-fit.

Anodes long ago wasted away in the salt water, wonder what sort of state the stern gear is in now! Like Vaughan I wouldn't touch it, I dread to think what it will cost to bring back into commision. 

• 3 years later...

Bonjour Mr Joufry et bienvenue chez nous a Norfolk, d'ou le chantier F.B.Wilds a construit les fameux Bateaux Bleus", qui ont fondés la navigation de plaisance interne  en France dans les années soixantes.

Pour le bateau Caribbean, de 38 pieds il vaut mieux estimer un poids de 10 tonnes pour commander une grue. La situation actuelle du site ou vous voulez sortir le bateau va décider la puissance actuelle pour la grue. Tout dépend sur la distance que la grue doit percher entre la terre ferme et l'amarrage actuelle.

J'imagine que vous venez d'acheter ce bateau d'un particulier, car ils étaient tous vendu par les sociétés de location, il y a 15 ans déjà.

Je suis à votre disposition pour tous renseignements complémentaires, étant ancien directeur technique de La "Blue Line" en France!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Bonjour Mr Joufry et bienvenue chez nous a Norfolk, d'ou le chantier F.B.Wilds a construit les fameux Bateaux Bleus", qui ont fondés la navigation de plaisance interne  en France dans les années soixantes.

Pour le bateau Caribbean, de 38 pieds il vaut mieux estimer un poids de 10 tonnes pour commander une grue. La situation actuelle du site ou vous voulez sortir le bateau va décider la puissance actuelle pour la grue. Tout dépend sur la distance que la grue doit percher entre la terre ferme et l'amarrage actuelle.

J'imagine que vous venez d'acheter ce bateau d'un particulier, car ils étaient tous vendu par les sociétés de location, il y a 15 ans déjà.

Je suis à votre disposition pour tous renseignements complémentaires, étant ancien directeur technique de La "Blue Line" en France!

Clearly your many years in France haven't all been wasted, and you have managed to grasp a few more words of French than I did studying it for 5 years to O level standard at school, all those years ago :default_rofl:

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Say what !!! Lol, nice one Vaughan, hopefully this will encourage and give the guy confidence to continue posting here and share his story as it moves forward....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Bonjour Mr Zoufry et bienvenue chez nous a Norfolk, d'ou le chantier F.B.Wilds a construit les fameux Bateaux Bleus", qui ont fondés la navigation de plaisance interne  en France dans les années soixantes.

Bonjour Vaughan.

Tout d'abord je vous remercie pour l'information recherchée.

Effectivement je suis encore au stade du projet d'acheter ce navire à un particulier.

Dès que la vente administrative sera effectuée (à mon avis plusieurs mois, car il s'agit d'une succession suite à un décès), je n'hésiterais pas à vous solliciter de nouveau pour profiter de vos précieux conseils.

Etes vous encore en France à l'heure actuelle ? si oui dans quelle région ?

Amicalement.

Zoufry.

Peut être une autre petite question d'ici là:

Pouvez vous m'indiquer l'équivalence code RAL de la peinture d'origine Bleu Ciel ?

Zoufry

Et dans la foulée, le blanc.....

Now what have I done?   :facepalm:

I will reply to Zoufry in French as it is much easier for him, but he is saying that he is in process of buying the boat but as it is subject to inheritance after a death (French law is dreadful about this) it may be several months. 

He asks about the colour of the blue paint, which was gel-coat of course, plus I don't know what colour the boat is now!  I shall ask him whereabouts the boat is moored as I may know people in the area.

Thank goodness you can only see my written French, as when I speak it, a broad Norfolk accent comes out, to the delight of all around!

• Like 9
  • Haha 1