Plans For A Caribbean Cruiser

21 hours ago, zoufry said:

Hi everybody.

I have project to buy a Wilds Caribbean, i'm looking for the weight of this boat everywhere on the web.

Does anybody have an idea approximately ?

Excuse me for my english, i'm frenchman ;(

Thanks by advance.

Zoufry.

:default_icon_wave: :default_welcome:

Your english is a lot better than my french.

1 hour ago, zoufry said:

Bonjour Vaughan.

Tout d'abord je vous remercie pour l'information recherchée.

Effectivement je suis encore au stade du projet d'acheter ce navire à un particulier.

Dès que la vente administrative sera effectuée (à mon avis plusieurs mois, car il s'agit d'une succession suite à un décès), je n'hésiterais pas à vous solliciter de nouveau pour profiter de vos précieux conseils.

Etes vous encore en France à l'heure actuelle ? si oui dans quelle région ?

Amicalement.

Zoufry.

Re-bonjour Zoufry. Cette fois, je vais bien eppeler votre nom!

Je suis toujours en France, en retraite, à Puichèric, sur les bords du Canal du Midi près de Carcassonne.  Où se trouve le bateau en France en ce moment?  Il est possible que je connais des chantiers dans le coin qui puissent vous aider avec l'entretien.

Le couleur du superstructure était en gel-coat de fibre de verre et pas en peinture.  Si vous avez de la chance, le gel n'a jamais été re-peint et vous pouvez le restituer avec des produits de ponçage et polish.  Sinon, je ne sais pas quel couleur de peinture a été choisi!

A l'époque, nous avions décidé de vendre tous les "Bateaux Bleu" quant ils avaient achevé 40 ans en location.  Pas mal, sur les canaux et les écluses en France!  Alors la peinture de la coque sera probablement à tout refaire!

Je vous souhaite très bonne chance avec le projet et gardez-nous au courant du progrès!

Ah, that's what happened. I was wondering what had happened when the french disappeared. Not being a french speaker I appreciated the translation. I thought it was wonderful that Vaughan initially replied to the query in french though.

A warm welcome to the forum to Zoufry.

:default_welcome:

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Now what have I done?   :facepalm:

I will reply to Zoufry in French as it is much easier for him, but he is saying that he is in process of buying the boat but as it is subject to inheritance after a death (French law is dreadful about this) it may be several months. 

He asks about the colour of the blue paint, which was gel-coat of course, plus I don't know what colour the boat is now!  I shall ask him whereabouts the boat is moored as I may know people in the area.

Thank goodness you can only see my written French, as when I speak it, a broad Norfolk accent comes out, to the delight of all around!

Google Translate also did a good job for me, without you needing to explain above, but thanks anyway :default_biggrin:

Bienvenue sur le "Norfolk Broads Network Forum" Zoufry.

Je peux vous assurer que Vaughan est une mine d'informations sur les bateaux de toutes sortes, et il essaiera sans aucun doute de vous aider autant qu'il le pourra.

Et je dois dire que votre anglais écrit est excellent !

• Like 2

When I’m trying to insert a bit of welsh (we have ‘hats’ too) I usually resort to typing up something in Word first, using the symbols option and then copying and pasting. There might be an easier way, but I don't know how without changing you whole language selection.

Actually, my forum name is just wrong. The ‘Mon’ bit should have a hat over the O which lengthens the sound of the vowel. 

Precision: my english is "good" but not perfect, because my best friend come back to france after 10 years to USA when he was adolescent. in this period "he forget" the french language

The deal between us was i learn him back french, he learn me english language.

Since many years i'm working with international bisness, this maintains a little bit ;)))

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

When I’m trying to insert a bit of welsh (we have ‘hats’ too) I usually resort to typing up something in Word first, using the symbols option and then copying and pasting. There

Helen, in case this is of use, I have a list of numerical codes to use on the pc, press alt0251 for a u with hat, (holding the alt key down while doing the numbers) but don’t know how to get an ‘alt’ on the phone keypad. 7C1C9F5B-6E42-4A84-988F-CFEA1292CCAD.thumb.jpeg.ef553c6c3b8a1f5b549719f3e02580e6.jpeg

• Like 1

Vaughan.

You are living in France, can you say me, for you, what is the € estimate of this model, in relatively good condition in our contry.

Or give me a price range between good and excellent condition (collection condition)

Thank by advance, it will permit me to make an coherent offer to seller.

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

When I’m trying to insert a bit of welsh (we have ‘hats’ too) I usually resort to typing up something in Word first, using the symbols option and then copying and pasting. There might be an easier way, but I don't know how without changing you whole language selection.

Actually, my forum name is just wrong. The ‘Mon’ bit should have a hat over the O which lengthens the sound of the vowel. 

It's a toe not a hat :default_biggrin:

11 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Hold the letter down on your virtual keyboard to get and you will get a chice inc. The Circumflex ôòòòõ

369604408_Screenshot_20220831-071059_PhotoEditor.thumb.jpg.daefc72b1346733cabf072302e58ddf5.jpg

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

If you are using Windows with a desktop pc, look for "Character Map" in accessories (I think that's where it is). You can use any of those symbols. I have added it on my start menu. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, zoufry said:

The boat is in SANCERRE area (the famous french wine ,).

Famous indeed and a beautiful town on a hill overlooking the Canal Lateral à la Loire.  Not far from Marseille-Les -Aubigny, where Blue Line had one of its oldest bases, but I believe now closed by Le Boat.  Further down is Decize, where there is also an ex Blue Line base, now Le Boat.  I recommend looking for hire boat bases as they almost all have a "potence tournant" - gantry crane - on the quay and these are almost always a capacity of 10 Tonnes.

Locaboat, a big French company, had their building factory at Joigny, near Auxerre and I believe they still hire boats from there.  Further over, on the Saone, is St Jean de Losne with a big Le Boat base and also a large yacht broker called H2O, who have a lot of second hand canal boats for sale.  They may be able to advise you on price.  The owner, now retired, was an ex base manager for Blue Line and the business is still run by his family.

I have no idea on prices so could not advise but the monthly magazine "Fluvial" has lots of adverts for boats of this type.

The engine will be a Perkins 4108 or maybe 4107, with a Dowty hydraulic drive.  I advise you to have this checked by a mechanic to ensure the hydraulic oil is still clean with no leaks.  If the hydraulic motor makes a grinding or loud whining noise when in gear, this would be very expensive to replace as they don't make that type any more.  You may even decide not to buy the boat if the drive is damaged.  The boat itself should be fine - they were very well moulded and have "stood the test of time".

I do not remember any Blue Line boats in white, so has almost certainly been re-painted.  It is not normally possible to bring back a painted boat to a gel-coat finish, so re-painting will be necessary.  International Paints used to do a colour to match the Blue Line blue but I can't remember the name of it.  Anyone else remember?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Famous indeed and a beautiful town on a hill overlooking the Canal Lateral à la Loire.  Not far from Marseille-Les -Aubigny, where Blue Line had one of its oldest bases, but I believe now closed by Le Boat.  Further down is Decize, where there is also an ex Blue Line base, now Le Boat.  I recommend looking for hire boat bases as they almost all have a "potence tournant" - gantry crane - on the quay and these are almost always a capacity of 10 Tonnes.

Locaboat, a big French company, had their building factory at Joigny, near Auxerre and I believe they still hire boats from there.  Further over, on the Saone, is St Jean de Losne with a big Le Boat base and also a large yacht broker called H2O, who have a lot of second hand canal boats for sale.  They may be able to advise you on price.  The owner, now retired, was an ex base manager for Blue Line and the business is still run by his family.

I have no idea on prices so could not advise but the monthly magazine "Fluvial" has lots of adverts for boats of this type.

The engine will be a Perkins 4108 or maybe 4107, with a Dowty hydraulic drive.  I advise you to have this checked by a mechanic to ensure the hydraulic oil is still clean with no leaks.  If the hydraulic motor makes a grinding or loud whining noise when in gear, this would be very expensive to replace as they don't make that type any more.  You may even decide not to buy the boat if the drive is damaged.  The boat itself should be fine - they were very well moulded and have "stood the test of time".

I do not remember any Blue Line boats in white, so has almost certainly been re-painted.  It is not normally possible to bring back a painted boat to a gel-coat finish, so re-painting will be necessary.  International Paints used to do a colour to match the Blue Line blue but I can't remember the name of it.  Anyone else remember?

Hello Vaughan.

I have another question as you seem to know the area perfectly.

I plan to take the barge up to Blois, as much as possible by river via the Briare canal towards Montargis.

To my knowledge, the Orléans canal which arrives from Montargis to Combleux (Orléans) "is no longer navigable", is there anyway a way to use it?

I will then finish up to Blois by the Loire, at a time when the waters will be high enough, the idea being to do only a minimum on the Loire.

Theoretically the simplest would be to go directly up the Loire to Blois, but technically i prefer to follow the maximum secure ways ..............

Thank you for your opinion.

4 hours ago, zoufry said:

Hello Vaughan.

I have another question as you seem to know the area perfectly.

I plan to take the barge up to Blois, as much as possible by river via the Briare canal towards Montargis.

To my knowledge, the Orléans canal which arrives from Montargis to Combleux (Orléans) "is no longer navigable", is there anyway a way to use it?

I will then finish up to Blois by the Loire, at a time when the waters will be high enough, the idea being to do only a minimum on the Loire.

Theoretically the simplest would be to go directly up the Loire to Blois, but technically i prefer to follow the maximum secure ways ..............

Thank you for your opinion.

Another question:

I have read in different places about different drafts for this Carabbean model.
What is the reality: manufacturer data?

17 hours ago, zoufry said:

I have read in different places about different drafts for this Carabbean model.
What is the reality: manufacturer data?

It would not be more than 2 feet 6 inches and may be less - about 2ft 3in.

21 hours ago, zoufry said:

In all the time I have been in France, starting in 1983, I have always been told that there is no connection between the canals of Brittany and the navigations of north east France, and that the Loire is not navigable above Saumur.

In France there are 3 categories of navigation : The first category is big rivers such as the Seine, Rhone and Rhine, and large canals of "grand gabarit commerciel".  Hire boats are only allowed to operate on rivers and canals of the third category and so these are the areas I tend to know best!

It would be best to ask VNF (Voies Navigables de France) whose siège sociale is in Béthune.

• Like 1