Plans For A Caribbean Cruiser

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It would not be more than 2 feet 6 inches and may be less - about 2ft 3in.

In all the time I have been in France, starting in 1983, I have always been told that there is no connection between the canals of Brittany and the navigations of north east France, and that the Loire is not navigable above Saumur.

In France there are 3 categories of navigation : The first category is big rivers such as the Seine, Rhone and Rhine, and large canals of "grand gabarit commerciel".  Hire boats are only allowed to operate on rivers and canals of the third category and so these are the areas I tend to know best!

It would be best to ask VNF (Voies Navigables de France) whose siège sociale is in Béthune.

That's what i had found ;(

Carte Voies Navigables France.pdf

On 30/08/2022 at 19:12, YnysMon said:

When I’m trying to insert a bit of welsh (we have ‘hats’ too) I usually resort to typing up something in Word first, using the symbols option and then copying and pasting. There might be an easier way, but I don't know how without changing you whole language selection.

Actually, my forum name is just wrong. The ‘Mon’ bit should have a hat over the O which lengthens the sound of the vowel. 

Does this work: YnysMôn (Sorry for the detour from the topic!).

34 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Does this work: YnysMôn (Sorry for the detour from the topic!).

Yes it does (thanks). However, though it worked when I put it into a post, it just wouldn’t accept it when I tried to alter my forum name. Very frustrating! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

My project grow up slowly.

I post some pictures of the boat before (when it was clean and used), and now after more than 5 years fixed.

Does anyone have some technicals information about his motor; THORNYCROFT, n° de série 3293, power 22,82kw ?

Thanks by advance to your help.

20220904_102239-1[1].jpg

20220904_102227-1[1].jpg

20220904_100101[1].jpg

20220904_100125[1].jpg

20220904_100259[1].jpg

20220904_100308[1].jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zoufry said:

Hi everybody.

My project grow up slowly.

I post some pictures of the boat before (when it was clean and used), and now after more than 5 years fixed.

Does anyone have some technicals information about his motor; THORNYCROFT, n° de série 3293, power 22,82kw ?

20220904_102239-1[1].jpg

20220904_102227-1[1].jpg

20220904_100101[1].jpg

20220904_100125[1].jpg

20220904_100259[1].jpg

20220904_100308[1].jpg

My future steering wheel....

Volant.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zoufry said:

Hi everybody.

A couple of links google suggest:

https://www.thornycroftengines.com/out-of-production-engines 

https://www.manualslib.com/brand/thornycroft/engine.html

1 hour ago, zoufry said:

Hi everybody.

IF we take the 22,82kw and convert that figure to  old horsepower units then that equates to 30.6 hp and using the Thornycroft link above you could have a T-75 engine & 31hp or the T-80 & 32 hp but as you can see the T-75 is closer.

I think it can be almost certain that this is the original BMC (Austin) 1500 vehicle engine, with marine parts by Thornycroft, which basically means the heat exchanger, sump (cale), oil pump, flywheel (volant) and bell housing (cloche en Francais). These engines have had other names, such as Tempest Captain and Leyland 1500.

Caribbeans are advertised in old brochures with a BMC Captain engine. Some photos would help to identify.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

IF we take the 22,82kw and convert that figure to  old horsepower units then that equates to 30.6 hp

Quite true, but it gets a little complicated in France.  French boat registration nowadays quotes the engine capacity in kilowatts.

A pleasure boat of under 15 metres can be driven by those with the "permis fluvial" but up until about 1995 they were registered as having a horsepower of less than 9.9.  So the permis bateau was known as the "neuf neuf".

How this was calculated I don't know, as it doesn't have anything to do with the horsepower of the engine!

BMC 1500 means, of course, a cylinder capacity of 1500 cubic centimetres, or 1.5 litres.

As opposed to the Perkins 4108, which means 4 cylinders, of 108 cu. inches capacity.

8 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Quite true, but it gets a little complicated in France.  French boat registration nowadays quotes the engine capacity in kilowatts.

A pleasure boat of under 15 metres can be driven by those with the "permis fluvial" but up until about 1995 they were registered as having a horsepower of less than 9.9.  So the permis bateau was known as the "neuf neuf".

How this was calculated I don't know, as it doesn't have anything to do with the horsepower of the engine!

BMC 1500 means, of course, a cylinder capacity of 1500 cubic centimetres, or 1.5 litres.

As opposed to the Perkins 4108, which means 4 cylinders, of 108 cu. inches capacity.

Hi Vaughan, i will write in french because i don't now how to traduce it:

En France sur le document administratif du bateau, il est indiqué le numéro d'INSCRIPTION et non d'immatriculation, il semble donc qu'un permis fluvial (que j'ai quand même) ne soit pas nécessaire, cela m'a été confirmé par l'ancien propriétaire qui le pilotait sans permis...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zoufry said:

Hi Vaughan, i will write in french because i don't now how to traduce it:

En France sur le document administratif du bateau, il est indiqué le numéro d'INSCRIPTION et non d'immatriculation, il semble donc qu'un permis fluvial (que j'ai quand même) ne soit pas nécessaire, cela m'a été confirmé par l'ancien propriétaire qui le pilotait sans permis...

Dans ce cas, je pense que la cylindrée moteur n'a pas d'influence comme en mer.

Je précise que sur le certificat d'inscription, le moteur y est indiqué ainsi que sa puissance de 22.82kw, soit effectivement un peu plus d'une trentaine de puissance chevaux.

Cyrille.

In France on the administrative document of the boat, it is indicated the REGISTRATION number and not the registration number, so it seems that a river license (which I still have) is not necessary, this has been confirmed to me by the previous owner who drove it without a licence...

Edited by ExSurveyor
Google translate. mod addition.
  • Like 1

Sauf que la loi a changé depuis ma retraite, vous avez besoin d'un permis, mais si vous en avez déjà, aucun problème. Le mien n'a jamais été controllé en croisière, même sur la Seine à Paris!

Unless the law has changed since I retired, you need a permis, but if you have one, no problem! I have never been asked to show mine when cruising, even on the Seine in Paris!

In the photo I notice you have a whip aerial for VHF radio. Very useful for calling up lock-keepers, on the commercial canals.

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Sauf que la loi a changé depuis ma retraite, vous avez besoin d'un permis, mais si vous en avez déjà, aucun problème. Le mien n'a jamais été controllé en croisière, même sur la Seine à Paris!

Unless the law has changed since I retired, you need a permis, but if you have one, no problem! I have never been asked to show mine when cruising, even on the Seine in Paris!

In the photo I notice you have a whip aerial for VHF radio. Very useful for calling up lock-keepers, on the commercial canals.

Yes the boat is VHF equiped, but i need a licence to use it, to my knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...