Bmc Engine Help

I have a BMC 1.5 engine on my boat.

i haven't had it running yet, and would like someone to show me how to service it and just have a look around it and check everything is ok.

i need to buy and connect the exhaust hose as yet and do a few other bits.

it is in a field but i have access to a hose.

if there is anyone around the Beccles area that is willing to give me a hand please that's be great

happy to pay as long as i'm not ripped off 

thanks

Basically, servicing these old BMC engines is relatively simple. I used to do it on an old ex plates London taxi which was owned by my father. The engine is similar if not the same as the BMC boat engines although dad's was two litre. I am assuming it is a diesel. If not you probably have an SU carburettor so just take off the bell top, wipe the piston and inside the bell and replace then top up the dashpot in the middle of the carb. You could give the carb a tweak using the nut underneath the carb but you need a vacuum gauge or a good ear for an engine to do this.

Change the oil and oil filter regularly, replace the diesel filter about every two oil changes and bleed the diesel pipes, check the  water pump belt/s and replace if necessary, check the secondary water pump impellor preferably take it out when the boat is laid up for the Winter if it is neoprene. If you are using blue antifreeze in the primary cooling system, change it every two years and give the block a good flushing if you can and use at least a 50/50 mixture and use rain water when refilling if you can. Check the tappets and adjust if necessary, check all flexible pipes and replace if necessary. Leave the injectors and injector pump alone unless they are playing up otherwise it will only lead to grief. Let a proper diesel engineer deal with these if necessary (costs a fortune!).

Don't forget to check the oil in the gearbox and fill up the propshaft greasers and don't forget to check all your fuel lines for damage and replace if necessary.

Hope this helps.

No doubt there will be a few more DIYers along to give you more advice but it is not rocket science. Just take your time and make a good job of it.

Best wishes.

Troutbridge.

BMC 1.5 are a simple engine but can be a pig to bleed after changing the fuel filters, the oil filter is normally inside a canister unless it’s had a spin on conversion it’s easier to remove the canister from the block and change the filter on the bench than try to do it in situ. 

A normal service would include oil and filter, fuel filter ( mine has two) and a new raw water pump impeller. 

• Like 2

trouble is i am pretty basic knowledge with regards to engines

yes i can change the oil etc and rewire a boat but i have no idea where wires go on the actual engine or alternator.

i did think about swapping the filter for a spin on normal type seen the conversion on flebay

ok confused me already lol

yes it's a diesel.

and i know there is a fan belt for the alternator not sure about any gearbox levels i think it's a prm box i think thats what i was told.

i am one of these ppl if you show me and i do it i remember,

if i read it i will never remember it

hence why i'd really like someone who has patience just to walk me through it at the actualy boat and say this is this and that is that please

I would imagine your heat exchanger is completely knackered, now it just so happens........

No it'll probably be fine.

Ignore the bits above about about su carb as it isn't going to have one, as said the worst bit is bleeding the diesel system the rest is very basic on a bmc, you could maybe replace the bleed screw on the engine filter with a non-return bleed nipple and bleed with an oil sucker pump and make it much easier, works on my volvos and makes bleeding a doddle.

Don't worry Mark - there will still be business for you, once they have got the threads crossed on the fuel connections, put the fuel filter back on with the gasket cocked and wonder why they can't bleed the air out, snapped off the head studs in the thermostat housing, failed to align the raw water pump pulley and wondered why the gearbox rear oil seal is pouring oil because they failed to check the shaft alignment after launching the boat (or didn't know how to).

You still can't beat practical, hands-on experience, especially with old engines. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Don't worry Mark - there will still be business for you, once they have got the threads crossed on the fuel connections, put the fuel filter back on with the gasket cocked and wonder why they can't bleed the air out, snapped off the head studs in the thermostat housing, failed to align the raw water pump pulley and wondered why the gearbox rear oil seal is pouring oil because they failed to check the shaft alignment after launching the boat (or didn't know how to).

You still can't beat practical, hands-on experience, especially with old engines. 

I was thinking of doing my own engine service this year too...  Vaughan's post has cured me. Send him his commission cheque Mark! :default_biggrin:

48 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Ignore the bits above about about su carb as it isn't going to have one,

I thought I made that quite plain in my post. Incidentally after spending about fifteen minutes putting that post together did I get any thanks for it, no, just criticism.

I will keep my knowledge to myself in future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm with Vaughan on this - nowadays sharing 'free information' on the socials is a good plan for a business. 

There are people who are always going to have a crack at DIY'ing it and they'd do that regardless of what is shared online. They'll also never admit what a complete mess they made of it all.

For everyone else the business sharing tips etc is seen as a subject matter expert and people reading their posts, following guides etc will gain an insight and understanding that getting a BMC onto the bench is not for them so they'll go to that business because they're seen as the experts.

• Like 1

In fairness, the OP of this thread has asked for practical hands on assistance "on site" and has said he is prepared to pay for it.

It does raise the question though - are we taking business away from professionals by giving away "trade secrets" on the forum? We all bemoan the loss of boatyard businesses on the Broads, which makes it difficult to find services, even though there are now very many more private motor boats than hire. So should we be saying that if you want to find good service, then you should "use it or lose it"?

On the other hand, Gregg is quite right, in that there will always be those who will wish to do their own work and a forum like this is a great place to find help, as it has many members with the "knowledge". This still can't make up for practical experience though, and there are several jobs which just cannot be described on the Net. 

For instance, do owners of Fibreglass boats realise how vital it is to check the alignment of the engine to the prop shaft, after the boat has spent a time laid up on the hard, or been transported by road?  The PRM gearbox (which Smitch has) is one of the best, but it does not contain its own thrust bearing (so a Plummer block must be fitted on the shaft) and it is particularly susceptible to stripping the splines off the inside of the output coupling if the engine is not properly in line. Alignment is definitely a job for a trained marine engineer.

Another example - the BMC 1.5 (which does indeed come from London black cabs) can be difficult to start and needs a lot of pre-heat and battery power. It can be made a lot easier if you advance the injector pump a bit but if you do this too much, it will make white smoke when running at slow speed. This is a simple job which requires no special tools or gauges, but I certainly couldn't show you how to do it on the forum!

Anyway, I shall be on holiday in Norfolk for a couple of weeks in May and if Smitch is available I will gladly come and spend an afternoon looking at the boat and the engine. Don't be surprised though, if I end up suggesting that there are a lot of jobs to be done which he would be better not to try for himself!

• Like 8

I think some perspective is needed here, even though Mark's "earning a living" comment was undoubtedly made tongue in cheek. This is a great forum, but even if one took the total number of people who belong to Broads forums you would find it to ber a small minority of those who own boats on the broads. Not everybody likes computer forums. Even facebook probably only covers a minority.

No, Calls for advice or assistance will have a minimal effect on broadland businesses with plusses outweighing minuses anyway. Were this not the case certain things would be different. J Packman would be quivering in his boots. Businesses  would be fighting to get Forum patronage, and local Councillor's would be securing their re-election by replacing waste facilities.

We are but a very small voice in a very large choir. An enjoyable voice, a constructive voice, even a wise voice, but still just a small one!   

• Like 5