Sutton Staithe Moorings

grounded

Hello from down here. Still a new boy on this block. Erindoors and I are coming over from NZ towards the end of June for 3 weeks on the Norfolk Broads, one of our most favourite places. We have a two berth boat (Swan Rapture) and we are meeting up with family members for a bit of a reunion on our first weekend. They will be on a 10 berth boat, also from Richardson's. We are trying to work out what may be potential moorings for our first night (Friday). Sutton Staithe seems a possiblity, but from memory there are not too many moorings there. When I checked the information on this site I found reference to Sutton Staithe 1 and Sutton Staithe 2, both with (approx) 11 moorings. I would be very grateful if some knowledgeable member could explain for me where each are as we have only ever moored alongside the footpath. Very many thanks.

Chris

• Like 1

Good morning Chris ... at least it's morning for me!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great trip and I'm sure you'll enjoy Swan Rapture. 

Not sure about the information you want but I'm sure someone who knows that area well will be along presently. :default_icon_wave:

Hi Chris.

As you cruise into Sutton, the moorings are on the left. The first one you come to just has a path and a hedged fence. you then pass a small private moorings dyke before arriving at the other 24 hour mooring on the meadow. I can't remember which is Sutton staithe 1 and which is 2, but those are the moorings you asked about.

• Like 2

Aah. Got it. Very many thanks. I always assumed the moorings down the end were private ones. That is very helpful and could make Sutton a more viable option. I am much obliged to you. Browsing these forums is bringing back great memories and increasing our excitement at coming back. Cheers

Chris

Welcome Chris. Maybe consider your first night mooring at Richardson's itself? If your hand over is early there will be plenty of time for an afternoon cruise before meeting up with family at the home yard of both boats. A word in advance with the yard will probably mean you can certainly moor together and Stalham has places to eat, drink and shop as a reunion may require!

Good luck and have a great time however you decide to go :default_beerchug:

You are starting on a Friday which makes me think you may be on a Friday to Monday break. If that's so then your advantage is that the standard "release" time is 2.30pm as opposed to 4pm for week breaks. The advantage to this is that you will leave the yard in the first flush of boats, and therefore have more chance of getting a mooring on the popular Sutton Staithe. If you are on a week's stay I would have a plan B of, as Ray has said, just staying on the Richardsons moorings. The cruise between both is around 15 minutes journey time so nothing would be lost by returning. If you specifically want to visit the Sutton Staithe Hotel, you can walk the road between Stalham and Sutton in around 25 minutes. June has light nights so you would not be walking back in the dark (probably). 

Just to add that we hired Swan Rapture for a fortnight's cruise a few years ago. What a boat!

20150616_114307.jpg

20150617_135845.jpg

20150617_135856.jpg

20150617_135924.jpg

20150617_140000.jpg

• Like 3

If the BA moorings are full you may be able to overnight in the boatyard pump out dyke if you ask Robert nicely but they like you gone before they open for business. We've done that before - the early start was fun after a lock-in at the hotel!

51 minutes ago, grounded said:

Thanks again for your advice. If we can get on line on june 28th i may be able to tell you how it works out. Cherrs

Chris

You shouldn't have any problem with the internet as you can connect to Richardsons Wifi in their boats

Hi Cris As Ray said why not stay in yard first night there is a very nice restaurant to the left out of the gate opposite the Stathe you then have the village and Tesco's for any last minute must have.all the moorings are on the left as you sail up to the Stathe the ones on the right belong to boat yard. John 

1 hour ago, DAVIDH said:

You are starting on a Friday which makes me think you may be on a Friday to Monday break. If that's so then your advantage is that the standard "release" time is 2.30pm as opposed to 4pm for week breaks. The advantage to this is that you will leave the yard in the first flush of boats, and therefore have more chance of getting a mooring on the popular Sutton Staithe. If you are on a week's stay I would have a plan B of, as Ray has said, just staying on the Richardsons moorings. The cruise between both is around 15 minutes journey time so nothing would be lost by returning. If you specifically want to visit the Sutton Staithe Hotel, you can walk the road between Stalham and Sutton in around 25 minutes. June has light nights so you would not be walking back in the dark (probably). 

Just to add that we hired Swan Rapture for a fortnight's cruise a few years ago. What a boat!

20150616_114307.jpg

20150617_135845.jpg

20150617_135856.jpg

20150617_135924.jpg

20150617_140000.jpg

Richo's start days for all breaks are Mon Tues Fri and Sat and checking Chris' initial posting he's here for 3 wks don't think he would come from NZ for 3 days. Sorry for correcting you.

Tony

3 hours ago, grounded said:

I always assumed the moorings down the end were private ones.

The moorings at the very far left hand end, beside the boatyard, are indeed private. It is quite clear though where the BA moorings end. 

We hired Swan Rapture as a fairly new boat about 15 years ago. Really, really lovely boat.

1 hour ago, Seagypsy said:

Richo's start days for all breaks are Mon Tues Fri and Sat and checking Chris' initial posting he's here for 3 wks don't think he would come from NZ for 3 days. Sorry for correcting you.

That's OK Tony. I expect Chris will do lots of things whilst here so it was a "just in case" comment. Richardsons do start  Fri and Sat for 3 night durations and Monday and Tuesday for 4 night stays (and of course 7 night starts on any of those days).  If the duration was for 3 nights, he could expect to take over the boat about 2.30pm, and hopefully nab a place at Sutton Staithe.

Hi Chris.

Welcome to the Forum.

You could try Paddys Lane BA 24Hr Moorings which, if you take the Barton Turf Turning as you come down from Stalham, you will find the moorings on your right hand side.(Probably mooring for about 10 or more boats depending on length.) Another option would be to pre book an overnight mooring at Wayford Marine which is advertised at £12.00 for a short stay overnight mooring. Wayford Marine is situated on the right as you approach Wayford Bridge. If you can get a mooring there the Wayford Bridge Inn is just across the road on the other side of the bridge.( Wayford Marine Tel No 01692 583192)

3 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

That's OK Tony. I expect Chris will do lots of things whilst here so it was a "just in case" comment. Richardsons do start  Fri and Sat for 3 night durations and Monday and Tuesday for 4 night stays (and of course 7 night starts on any of those days).  If the duration was for 3 nights, he could expect to take over the boat about 2.30pm, and hopefully nab a place at Sutton Staithe.

I've got two hols coming up at Richos, fortnight in May and 10 days in Sept says could be ready at  2.30 but normal time is 4.00. They rang me as I was travelling down in March to tell me boat would be ready at 1.00

Hi Graham. I was not previously aware of Paddy's Lane moorings until I saw reference to them on here. I had worked out they had to be somewhere around Barton Turf, so thanks for confirming that and for the helpful directions.

To help correct a little confusion I may have caused, Lyn and I are there for three weeks. A group of siblings and nephews/nieces are meeting up with us for the first weekend, Friday to Monday, which is why I am researching possible moorings for two boats on the Friday evening. I think on Saturday we will be mudweighting on Malhouse Broad (Ranworth) which has special memories for us all.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We love mooring at Paddy’s Lane which we found by accident some years ago now. Very peaceful. It was our last night’s mooring in March. 

8DDD981A-13F0-4C35-B6B8-726F6BE54F77.jpeg

Is there a footpath away from these moorings to have a walk to anywhere or are they completely isolated???? 

9 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

Is there a footpath away from these moorings to have a walk to anywhere or are they completely isolated???? 

Yes just follow the path  and it will come out at Barton Turf. You can walk to Neatishead from there about 20 minute walk.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, garryn said:

Yes just follow the path  and it will come out at Barton Turf. You can walk to Neatishead from there about 20 minute walk.

Excellent, that's very good to know, possible first night mooring for us in September as we will be meeting friends that moor at Broadsedge on the Saturday.

Hi Chris

We had Swan Roamer twice last year (have her again this year) and I think you will find Rapture is identical apart from the stern where Roamer has a low boarding platform.  If you check out my write up and video on this forum "A Week On Swan Roamer: 21st - 28th April 2018" under Holiday Tales you will find a section at the beginning of the video showing the interior.

Paddys Lane is a lovely mooring but you do have a security light on in Cox's boatyard on all night.

Sutton Staithe is one of our favourite moorings but can get full, especially Sunday lunchtime when there is a carvery at the hotel also a lot of Richardsons boats use it as a last night stop so Friday especially can be full quite early.

• Like 2