• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Hylander

Locks Pub

It's looking good, we are camping in Beccles in August so may pay this a visit, we did have a cruise down that way a couple of years ago but it was morning and we didn't stop.

• Like 1

Good news ! I love this pub and I am sure everyone has said this to you...if you can keep the previous atmosphere and quirkiness while adding your style, beer and food I for one will be happy and top of my list for a visit when next on the river.

Best Wishes - John 

Looking at the video, not sure .WIll call down there in the summer,hope it does not lose its charm.

Hmmm, I need to check this out. Had some mixed messages about the place. We will be back shortly so I'm going to investigate. I think it was run in the past commensurate with the clientele and location. I am a bit concerned in case the target audience proves to be unattainable. We shall see. 

Having said that I am, and will remain,  a keen supporter of Broadland hostelries :default_beerchug:

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, BITTERNBOY said:

if you can keep the previous atmosphere and quirkiness

.......exactly 

• Like 1

I note that 'dog treats' are on offer. Presumably Grain are hoping for a better class of dog, at least not ones that cock their legs against the legs of restaurant tables! Fully agree with Nog's assessment.

• Haha 1

Well called in at the Locks today. Particularly interested in comments from Carol and JM 

Open from the moorings and no suggestion (that I detected) that boats are not welcome. Big Dog Ferry doing a good trade. All Grain beers but well kept, my 316 was very good. Prices bit on the high side but OK 

It does look quite bare though and not quite the same atmosphere. Old front door now shut, need to access via the side. 

DSC_6956.JPG

DSC_6958.JPG

DSC_6969.JPG

DSC_6965.JPG

DSC_6981.JPG

DSC_6983.JPG

DSC_6963.JPG

• Thanks 3

By the looks of it,Am I right in saying,no photos on the walls or candles?

For us still some way ,will try to get there on our hols in September 

• Like 1

Bet your in the Caxton Club now Howard.We,re moored at Beccles YS and I think I saw you go past us to moor. Are you on the Alpha 35 ?

Alan

• Like 1

Me thinks the chef has been watching too many TV cooking programs. Katsu pork belly,dont work and as Peter suggested Deep fried curried haddock with a pea and mint chutney, really.As a chef good food should be basic and honest. Ie Ferry house surlingham or a bit more modern such as The new inn or The white horses in Neatishead and Chedgrave.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boycee said:

Bet your in the Caxton Club now Howard.We,re moored at Beccles YS and I think I saw you go past us to moor. Are you on the Alpha 35 ?

Alan

Aw, that's us, Tower Bridge, wish I'd known, must keep a better look out, same as yours I think yes, in Caxton Club beer superb :default_beerchug:

40 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

As a chef good food should be basic and honest

Couldn't agree more, which is why pubs like Surlingham are so popular? 

• Like 3

Call me a foody Luddite if you must but good, fresh fish does not need messing around with. Indeed why camouflage or hide a good, natural flavour? Lowestoft & Southwold both have quality fish available. Neither outlet is that far away.   

• Like 4

Your right Peter,think there hoping to be different. That's okay,but this menu for me does not work .Get the basics right.People will come back,Believe me the two dishes that I mentioned dont work.Putting a few sofas and menu on a clipboard dont make a good pub.

• Like 3

Can anyone else remember when a two-course meal at the Locks was if you had mustard on your Walls/Harris' pork pie?

• Haha 3

Sunday afternoon Jam - a couple of years ago ...brilliant atmosphere.   Not sure about current menu but wish them luck and really hope this gem of a pub flourishes. (I am sure the menu will evolve when they find out what their market is and what they want).

11 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Your right Peter,think there hoping to be different. That's okay,but this menu for me does not work .Get the basics right.People will come back,Believe me the two dishes that I mentioned dont work.Putting a few sofas and menu on a clipboard dont make a good pub.

It doesn't work for me either, wholly unattractive, as would be burgers & chips Wroxham style. Curried fish, the thought of it, and the associated smell, urghhh! Enhance fresh fish, don't destroy it. Make mouths water rather than stomachs heave!

• Like 2

The menu's not what I was hoping to see! Where's the steak and ale pie and chips? The only saving grace is that it's a printed piece of A4 paper on a clipboard, rather than a full blown printed menu set for a season!

• Like 4

Clip boards are old hat also,agree nice home made pie,properties n chips.Maybe when we get there stick with doggy treats!

That menu has put me off not that I can get under beccles old bridge anyway.

Curried codswallop is missing!

Sounds like prentious crap to me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That menu has put me off not that I can get under beccles old bridge anyway.

Curried codswallop is missing!

Sounds like prentious crap to me.

I agree entirely. I'll be giving that a miss !

• Like 1