Locks Pub

Hylander

34 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

On the broads or out in the villages I doubt many pubs would survive without food these days as it's the one bit the pubcos/breweries/taxman doesn't hammer.

I'm quite certain that food sales are reflected in the rents.

• Sad 1

Hmmm

Apart from genuine free houses, most pubs these days are managed or leased, the latter from greedy pub companies in the main. 

The pub Co will set an amount to be paid in rent plus an excessive amount charged for beer which is sometimes referred to as wet rent. 

So indirectly it is, probably reasonable to assume that food income will be taken into account in the rent calculation. 

Incidentally the Fat Cat in Norwich doesn't do food (apart from filled rolls) and is one of the most successful pubs in the country. 

But, for most part, food is a good income stream even for quality beer pubs eg the Stanford Arms. 

Cheers!

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I'm quite certain that food sales are reflected in the rents.

The insidious nature of the beast that is the PubCo set a ground rent then a target amount of barrels of beer per year at a set price which is far greater than you could buy on wholesale. If you fail to meet that target you pay a fine of X amount per barrel undersold! If you meet the target you are re-evaluated for the next year and the target barrelage goes up until you fail and give up the lease. Food sales are never reflected in the rents and are generally the only point where a lease holder has free range. The more they make from food the more they make personally, but beware, the greater the food sales, then generally the greater the beer sales and as per the start of this missive, that's where they grab you by the short and curlies. Eventually all good lease holders have to give up under the pub co scheme.

Buying the freehold as a community pub like the White Horse Upton, or buying the freehold like Rick at The White Horse Neatishead or The Lion at Thurne is the best, but not guaranteed chance of surviving.

• Like 5

As an illustration of what appears to be the minority opinion here and not on The Broads of course. My local was really struggling due to the demands of said leeches (pubco's), it did that poorly that they eventually put it up for sale. Taken over by a brewer who refurbished the place very sympathetically and also established a micro brewery. You won't find any fizzed "beers" and only Kronenberg and a Czech lager that I can't remember the name of. The rest are his own creations plus a few worthy guests. No food at all except the odd nibble on its quiz night. THe place is packed to the gills every night and is a relaxing delight to imbibe in with a lovely beer garden out the back. Has been thriving for some four years plus now.  Wonderful place!

Star at Sandal.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Food sales are never reflected in the rents and are generally the only point where a lease holder has free range.

That certainly wasn't the case when I was involved in the trade although it might be the case today. At one time food was very much the perks for the landlord's wife but over time it has become an integral part of the business. Perhaps not charged as a separate entity but I'm quite certain that it reflects as a hidden charge in the level of both ground rent and product prices.