Setting Off To Broads

ranworthbreeze

I am setting off to the Broads in the next 10 minutes until the 7th May, if you see Ranworth Breeze on the southern rivers give me a wave, I will be flying the NBN burgee (yours for a modest price, please see the shop details). If you see me moored up pop over for a chat.

Regards

Alan

• Like 15

Have a lovely time, we're shore based in Wroxham at that time but with only a day boat unlikely to cross Breydon! Anyone else out there do please wave at the white poodle and border terrier that accompany us as we chug along.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Meg said:

Anyone else out there do please wave at the border terrier that accompany us as we chug along.

Ahh, you have been "blessed" with one of the hounds of hell too have you.

Hope you got to the boat safely Alan. Have a great time on the rivers Sir :default_beerchug:

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

Ahh, you have been "blessed" with one of the hounds of hell too have you.

Hope you got to the boat safely Alan. Have a great time on the rivers Sir :default_beerchug:

Hi Jayfire,

I managed to get to to Brundall by 9.30 am and dropped some stuff off so I could shop in Beccles at Morrison's, a bonus it is 20% staff discount there this week.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hope you have a great time Alan. We were aboard in Brundall over the weekend and the rain that incessantly poured down on us on Saturday was the dirtiest we have ever experienced. Being full of black greasy smuts that covered the boat leaving it so  filthy Tony had to hose it down before we came home yesterday morning. We've had "brown" rain before but never anything as bad as this was. No doubt you found it's presence on Ranworth Breeze when you arrived. We can't think what could have caused it. I dread to think how  much of it is still lurking in the canopy!

Carole

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I managed to get to to Brundall by 9.30 am and dropped some stuff off so I could shop in Beccles at Morrison's, a bonus it is 20% staff discount there this week.

We do like shopping in Morrisons when we're in Lowestoft. I should have put my order in for collection from you at the weekend! :default_rofl:

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, addicted said:

Hope you have a great time Alan. We were aboard in Brundall over the weekend and the rain that incessantly poured down on us on Saturday was the dirtiest we have ever experienced. Being full of black greasy smuts that covered the boat leaving it so  filthy Tony had to hose it down before we came home yesterday morning. We've had "brown" rain before but never anything as bad as this was. No doubt you found it's presence on Ranworth Breeze when you arrived. We can't think what could have caused it. I dread to think how  much of it is still lurking in the canopy!

Carole

Hi Carole,

No Ranworth Breeze was very clean on arrival considering that nobody was on the boat last week.

Regards

Alan

13 hours ago, SwanR said:

We do like shopping in Morrisons when we're in Lowestoft. I should have put my order in for collection from you at the weekend! :default_rofl:

So what you're saying then Jean is that you like shopping in Morrisons but not enough to want Alan to do that shopping for you instead? :default_biggrin:

15 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Glad you got there safely Alan, have a great time. Now a few months back you did (almost) promise me you'd give a Stella another try.... :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Carole,

No Ranworth Breeze was very clean on arrival considering that nobody was on the boat last week.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, I'm glad to hear it.  You were very lucky as the boats adjacent to us had the  same problem . It was really bad. Let's hope you not having the same problem is a good omen for you to have the same good fortune during the whole of your holiday.

Carole

• Like 1

Yesterday I awoke at 5.40 after a good 9 hours of sleep, I was set up for the day.

The couple who were interested in purchasing a share in Ranworth Breeze arrived around noon, I showed them around and they were impressed with all the refurbishments we had done in the last two years. We chattered and I answered queries on the two contracts that new owners have to sign, all ironed out and the way that the types of shares are drawn at the yearly AGM. 

We went up the river with Terry at the helm after we had left the marina. I wanted to show Terrry how the boat could stop within its own length at 6 mph and the manoeuvrability of the boat with its tight turning circle. Terry was impressed and commented on how stable the boat felt.

We turned around just before the Ferry House Inn at Surlingham, I was saddened to see that a boat had sunk on the moorings opposite the pub. 

We came back to the marina and with aid Terry did a fine stern on mooring into our berth. We chattered away and they left for home to mull over the option of the shares we currently have for sale.

I had a late lunch and phoned one of our old owners who was a fellow trustee of Ranworth Breeze, we had talked earlier in the day about me popping over to his house in Watton for an evening meal. I eventually arrived with direction from Graham over the phone. I changed my car about 4 weeks ago from a Saab Convertible to an Audi S3 Convertible which I have got used to apart from the inbuilt satellite navigation that makes little or no sense at all, if you put in a post code (in the case of Graham it starts IP)  but it does not allow you to put in any of the numbers and with Ipswich that covers a very big area.

Anyway I arrived and we chatted away outside in the last of the sunshine, their two Labradors were barking away me but eventually settled down after licking me death. We had a great meal and all tried to put the world to right whilst conversing over dinner. Before we knew it 10.00 pm reared it head and I had to say my goodbyes before setting off back to Brundall. 

I arrived back at the marina a little after 11.00 pm, I noticed Robin was in residence with the lights still on in his boat.  

Once aboard I quickly headed for bed feeling somewhat tired, I took the last of my 7 days course of antibiotics which seem to have nothing to help my coughing, so its back to the Vick and the cold tablets.

Bye for now

Alan

Regards

Alan

• Like 10

Alan, the antibiotics don't help with the actual cough, they just kill any bacteria in the mucus in your lungs. So the stuff on your lungs takes around 6 weeks to clear naturally. I can remember when Doreen was having the pre-assessment for a hip replacement, they asked if she had taken antibiotics in the last 6 weeks for a chest infection and was advised that an operation would be ruled out until six weeks had elapsed to account for the chest to clear. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Alan, My daughter was told she couldn't have antibiotics as they would be ineffective. However I popped into my local Lloyds and the pharmacist gave me a cough mixture  which was very effective, it sorted out both my and Tony's coughs  it was one of their own brands with a long  hard to remember name  which I cannot remember and unfortunately I left the bottle on the boat when last there so I am unable at this time to tell you what it is. If you're still suffering it might be worth going to see a pharmacist to see if they can come up with something.

Carole

Go for something with Dextromethorphan in it. It's a psychoactive substance which suppresses the tussive centre in the brain and stops you coughing. NOT to be used with a productive cough ....

I get tired of medics saying antibiotics are not effective against coughs, that is a sweeping statement that is only partly true. The truth of the statement is dependent on the underlying cause (the so called aetiology) of the cough. Antibiotics will not help any virally induced cough or any other virus led disease either.

However having been unfortunate enough to have contracted bacterial pneumonia twice in the past 12 years, resulting in my lungs filling up and becoming infiltrated with gunk, bugs and generally making me a tad short of breath. In fact the shortness of breath was the reason I went to see the quack in the first place (in Germany), I had had a cold as I usually do and it had gone to my chest as a cough as it usually did, then it died down and just left a little tickle every few hours or so for four or five weeks which was not unusual for me. The shortness of breath was.

So I had the visit and the result was antibiotics of "last resort" being prescribed which were absolutely vile but incredibly effective. I felt like a new man, I had just got used to being short of breath.

The reason for my post is that UK medics seem obsessed with antibiotic prescriptions and reducing them sometimes at the expense of using their common sense, so much so that my daughter had huge and painful pustules on her tonsils, she also has a history of bacterial tonsilitis and when she presented the idiot still said come back in a week as "it may clear up by itself" if it's from a virus. Heloo history of bacterial tonsilitis? laryngitis? and no thought process. Jesus wept when this guy got his license to practice.

We managed to get her treated, I won't say how but the severe infection cleared up in a week of treatment. If the idiot medic was at all unsure of himself (which he wasn't) he could have taken a swab and 48/72 hrs later had a confirmatory diagnosis from the lab. He put my daughters health at risk for policy and he should be ashamed of himself.

Policy over ruling common sense seems to be the in thing these days....

Rant over...lol

• Thanks 1

Have a great week Alan, hopefully we will catch up with eachother when we`re up there in September?.  If you stop in Loddon and go into Rosie Lee`s, please give Caroline mine and Karens love and best wishes, she`s a real treasure. Enjoy the rivers, hopefully they will be nice and empty for you?.

• Like 1

Wednesday 1st May 2019

I managed to stay in bed until after 8.00 am.

I got up and picked up my messages and checked out the forums before having my breakfast, bran flakes and fresh fruit.

By the time I had finished a couple of the guys from NYA called into see me so we could conclude the work that was carried out during our winter service.

I made ready for setting off from the marina rolling up the back sections of the canopy and removing the forward sections, I left the top up but with these sections out it stops Ranworth Breeze acting like a yacht.

Engine started and warps stowed and hook up removed I set off to Brammerton and moored at the Waters Edge, it seemed a shame not to call in for lunch and a couple of pints of Becks. Sitting outside in the sunshine drinking my second pint was good just watching the world go by.

I decided to stop here for the night so booked a table for 7.00 pm and lounged about in the afternoon sunshine on the boat, watched the end of a film I started yesterday before getting ready to go back to the pub.

I sat at the bar and ordered my steak, well done, I do not like mushrooms so had it with cherry tomatoes and chunky chips, with a blue cheese sauce, I tried it before putting it on my steak, sadly I could taste garlic, it was a pity because the last time I had the sauce it was perfect for me. Main course finished I ordered crackers and cheese, mainly because the menu said there was Black Bomber; it also came with some brie and some stilton. I must say that I do like a cheese board; the only thing not edible was the mouse decoration.

I spoke with a couple of nice people at the bar who told me they had sold their boat and I chattered with another couple that were admiring Ranworth Breeze at the moorings, it turns out they were local to the pub and were looking for a smaller boat to spend a night or two on as well as being a day boat, I did give them some suggestions but ideally they need a local mooring.

Back aboard it was time for a coffee and then bed at 10.00pm.

Regards

Alan

DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0577.JPG

• Like 5