The Lost Railways Of The Broads

NorfolkNog

This is a very interesting little booklet published by the Museum of the Broads. It's packed full of photos, many of which I've not seen before. The book concentrates on the former M&GN lines between North Walsham, Yarmouth and Lowestoft. There's no mention of the Beccles to Yarmouth line. None the less a very interesting book and very reasonably priced at 2.99. Well worth a look. 

IMG_20190429_171201.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I like it when you cruise the Waveney (probably nothing to do with what`s in the booklet above) and pass the old centre pivot bases for the railway bridges at St Olaves, then just down stream of Beccles, and the bridge over the cut into Rowancrafts yard at Geldeston. There`s very little recognisable sign of the the old iron bridge that spanned the river in Beccles itself.

I do wonder if there are any otherparts of the Broads that have any evidence of old railways.

I think I have posted this before somewhere. The Tivetshall /Beccles/Yarmouth line was not part of the M & GN network so probably why its not featured in the book.

That's very interesting about the bridge pier - I'll look out for that next time I pass to the Locks!

Norfolk Railways.jpg

• Like 2

We were stopped by River Inspectors at the Berney Arms (sometime in the late 70's I think) as there were "explosive demolitions" being undertaken of the old railway piers on Breydon. We retraced our steps, and went through the next day, but didn't see anything untoward.

• Like 1

I picked up a copy of the booklet at the Museum the day it was launched, the Msueum have a display about the YNNR for this summer in one of the rooms. there are several other books availble about the lost Norfolk railways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

The old coast railway that went to Hemsby then branched off to Martham, Potter,,Catfield, Stalham and onto North Walsham Town.

So many stations that the train spent more time stopped than it did running.

You could change at NW by walking to the Main station, but the line finished there for the Yarmouth trains.

• Like 1

For those with an interest in old railways and real ale (Howard) :default_biggrin: The North Norfolk Railway otherwise known as The Poppy Line has it's annual beer festival on the 19th to 21st July this year. Normally a very good event. Depending on how the weather is over the weekend you cannot bank on there being much choice left on Sunday, so best to go Friday or Saturday, or all three days. :default_beerchug:

https://www.nnrailway.co.uk/beer-festival/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taken in 2017, not much to see but the bump in the road is the site of a level crossing on a minor road between California and Hemsby with the line of the railway going towards Hemsby.

Second pic is the line going the other way.

DSC00100.JPG

DSC00101.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Often whilst out and about, whether at home or abroad, I see something in the landscape which makes me think 'old railway' and sure enough get home, check the OS map or other map and there would have been something there.  As we get older these clues are slowly disappearing............ even when in India in November, being driven I suddenly saw the remains of an obvious old railway bridge - the track bed long gone and now just a track for pedestrians and cycles and the odd cart

• Like 3