Boat Sought To Transport Beer Up The Yare!

NorfolkNog

Now this is a time I really do wish I had my own boat! The guys at Norfolk Brewhouse are looking for water transport from Coldham Hall up to Norwich.

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norfolk-boat-owners-needed-to-complete-sea-journey-of-beer-from-france-1-6022783

I guess a wherry would be perfect but maybe a job for JM and his Drascombe? :default_biggrin: :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Oh my goodness, wait till my Jay reads this, I reckon we'll be off to France in May :default_biggrin:

Grace

aka Mrs jay

Hi Gracie,

Jay might be inclined to help but not for any of that dirty beer, now if it was kegs of stella that might be a different matter :default_norty: 

Regards 

Alan

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Let’s see if their (presumably booked) passage under Haven bridge goes according to plan first

I've been through many times and never had a problem, they just don't like Yorkshiremen! :default_icon_twisted:

If you fancy transporting a few kegs of John Smiths down from home though Griff I'll help with it.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Oh my goodness, wait till my Jay reads this, I reckon we'll be off to France in May :default_biggrin:

Grace

aka Mrs jay

Well I had planned on our first night to be in Oulton, but now I'm not so sure :default_wink:

The key question is how much beer could "fall overboard" without being missed once it reaches Norwich? :default_beerchug:

Smoggy - Woodfordes have never in the past supported traditional Norfolk wherries, except by using the symbol, but only wanted to be involved with those more modern yachtie things! Could never understand why but perhaps the distinction was just too subtle for some to grasp!

Since the Brewery changed hands though, I don't think that it was felt even that was appropriate - hence the rebranding methinks more suitable, or so they think, for a proper brewery!!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grendel said:

make it a nice tall boat and they will have to open the bridges for the commercial shipping.

I think that is the point though!

The sea-going classic trader shown in the article can't get up to Norwich as, being sea-going, she can't lower her masts in a tabernacle like a wherry can.

The building of the non-opening southern bypass flyover means that classic vessels such as this can no longer visit Norwich, where their presence could revive the atmosphere of the old port and turn it into a vibrant and interesting cultural centre instead of a long line of abandoned quay headings.

Towns such as Bristol and Copenhagen spring to mind. Yet another great opportunity totally missed, by the City Council and Norfolk planning authorities, who have spent millions on the Breydon bridge, the Trowse rail bridge and the Carrow bridge. All for nothing.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Towns such as Bristol and Copenhagen spring to mind. Yet another great opportunity totally missed, by the City Council and Norfolk planning authorities, who have spent millions on the Breydon bridge, the Trowse rail bridge and the Carrow bridge. All for nothing.

And let's not forget the problem it creates in terms of the ongoing cost of getting rid of ships (ie the Scout Ship, Thai on the River etc) when they are end-of-life.

• Like 3