'informal Moorings'

PAULYNORF

Hi all,

I’m picking up my boat at Stalham and my party intend to spend the first night in a tranquil peaceful place away from pubs and noise. I’m looking for suggestions as to where I can find an ‘informal mooring’. Somewhere quiet that allows us to use the bank of the river for the night.

Any suggestions on how to find a list of such moorings online or indeed on here would be really helpful.

One last question. At certain ‘informal moorings’ are people allowed to use temporary throw away bbq’s providing they are disposed of correctly?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Hi Paul and welcome aboard.

Actually there was a thread yesterday about 'Wild Moorings' as they tend to be known and yes it's very much a thing - Obviously you need to be sure it's not private land, but there are plenty of places.

You'll find some experienced folk on here who'll be along soon with suggestions...

Of course there's always the option of mudweighting somewhere, but then the BBQ wouldn't be an option.

• Like 1

As you come from Stalham keep your eyes peeled for obvious moorings along the river bank that have been established over time.  Best if you can get the afternoon sun look at the compass on your phone.   They are all magical in their own way.       

• Like 2

NEVER NEVER use a disposal BBQ without a stand to keep it off the ground especially at this time of year. This could easily cause a fire, and destroy acres of reedbed.

They are EXTREMELY dangerous - please remember this. Peat burns readily and tends to burn downwards and then travel horizontally underground and break out perhaps a hundred yards away and can take weeks to extinguish properly. Even throwing water on the remnants of a BBQ will not extinguish it below the surface and it can till cause catastrophic damage to the habitat and many animals.

And wild moorings? First come first served I am afraid, but you can mudweight!!!

• Like 5

Slightly sidetracking your topic (sorry) but following on from Marshman.

As the bbq weather is hopefully on it's way I'll just post this link for anyone to have a browse through should they wish to refresh their knowledge whilst out and about on the broads or in other countrysides during the warm weather.

It's well worth reminding yourself as some of the moor fires we have had up here in North land for example were started from disposable bbq's, and discarded cigarettes, leading to massive devastation, day's (and in some cases weeks) of vary hard graft in hot weather and a massive drain on emergency resources (believe me, I know from personal experience :default_biggrin:)

https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/barbecue/

Thanks everyone :default_smile:

Well that's all the safety advice passed out, there are some lovely spots all over for wild mooring, you could do worse than mudweighting on Barton broad ( as you come down from Stalham, just on the left as you enter the broad), there are some posts marking the channel, this is quite a popular spot for mudweighting up, just go a boats length out of the channel and you will be fine (dont do this on Breydon water though as that will rapidly leave you aground.)

• Like 2

I have to say, coming from Stalham you have an abundance of wild mooring spots to choose from, keep your eyes open and the established ones will be pretty obvious. 

I'm not sure if there is an actual list online of where they are, but on the journey from Stalham to the Bure you will see plenty.

Whether they are free or not is another issue however.

Enjoy your holiday wherever it takes you :default_smile:

1 hour ago, PAULYNORF said:

Hi all,

I’m picking up my boat at Stalham and my party intend to spend the first night in a tranquil peaceful place away from pubs and noise. I’m looking for suggestions as to where I can find an ‘informal mooring’. Somewhere quiet that allows us to use the bank of the river for the night.

Any suggestions on how to find a list of such moorings online or indeed on here would be really helpful.

One last question. At certain ‘informal moorings’ are people allowed to use temporary throw away bbq’s providing they are disposed of correctly?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Paddy's Lane moorings fit your description, about half an hour from Stalham take turn for Barton Turf moorings along right hand side

44 minutes ago, Seagypsy said:

Paddy's Lane moorings fit your description, about half an hour from Stalham take turn for Barton Turf moorings along right hand side

Yes, very popular with Richardson's hirers.

Quite easy to locate as if you find yourself on Barton Broad then you've gone too far and it's just behind you.

All,

thank you so much for your excellent responses. I'm more confident now that we will find somewhere to stay overnight suitable for some piece and quiet. We've always stopped over by a pub and ate there before retiring to sleep surrounded by other boats. We've always envied seeing people in those lovely quiet places away from it all and so we have decided to try this for a nice change.

And Marshman. without a doubt I have listened to your warnings and will take on board what you have said. Indeed there are plenty of idiots in this world who don't think about their actions and the damage they can cause. But that is one of the reasons I mentioned it on here because I needed some good advice as to whether we should consider using a bbq or not. 

I had fully intended to bring a stand that I have and some fireproof lino to put on the floor to ensure there are no accidents. We are 3 couples all in our 50's fairly experienced now on the Broads and pride ourselves sin being careful. I may decide to avoid a bbq and just cook some burgers and bangers on the boat. But should we proceed to cook outdoors I will ensure we are extremely careful.

Roll on May 22nd! Thank you again everyone.

Paul

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, PAULYNORF said:

All,

thank you so much for your excellent responses. I'm more confident now that we will find somewhere to stay overnight suitable for some piece and quiet. We've always stopped over by a pub and ate there before retiring to sleep surrounded by other boats. We've always envied seeing people in those lovely quiet places away from it all and so we have decided to try this for a nice change.

And Marshman. without a doubt I have listened to your warnings and will take on board what you have said. Indeed there are plenty of idiots in this world who don't think about their actions and the damage they can cause. But that is one of the reasons I mentioned it on here because I needed some good advice as to whether we should consider using a bbq or not. 

I had fully intended to bring a stand that I have and some fireproof lino to put on the floor to ensure there are no accidents. We are 3 couples all in our 50's fairly experienced now on the Broads and pride ourselves sin being careful. I may decide to avoid a bbq and just cook some burgers and bangers on the boat. But should we proceed to cook outdoors I will ensure we are extremely careful.

Roll on May 22nd! Thank you again everyone.

Paul

Hello Paul, have you got your date right, Richardsons start days are Mon Tues Fri Sat 22nd is Wed. We are out on one of theirs 13 to 27 May so look out for San Remo 2

• Like 1

For your first night may I suggest mudweighting but instead of a barbecue first night how about a cooked hot chicken from Tesco😋. Keep it warm in the oven some lovely fresh cobbler or garlic tear and share and a bit salad for the ladies 😂, with a glass or two of fizz. No fuss no worry and some relaxing eating to get you started. There is a lovely spot for it towards Gay Staithe on Barton, on the left or right depending on wind just before you turn.

Just an idea.... 

M

• Like 2

Some top mentions here. Gays staite is perfect for 1st nights. Nice stroll to a top pub followed by evening bbqs. There is indeed slabs for bbqs.

We bbq and wild moor the majourity of the time when on the broads.

Just to mention we do have a cast iron beasty of a bbq which we also use as fire pit also a cobb bbq which we do put kn the ground but its cold to the touch on the outside.. both perfect for the broads and leaves no footprint. Enjoy!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

We have a Webber 100 cast aluminium  one which uses gas. It’s completely stone cold underneath to the touch and ready in five minutes. We also have an hibachi which mostly stays in the shed. 

We use the gas one as it has some special cast iron skillet thingies which means we can cook many more things than without them. Fried rice, caramelised onions that kind of thing. 

Its also an oven as it has a lid. We started with disposables then went hibachi then gas, never regretted it. 

Enjoy your holiday 

M

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 12:29, JawsOrca said:

Some top mentions here. Gays staite is perfect for 1st nights. Nice stroll to a top pub followed by evening bbqs. There is indeed slabs for bbqs.

We bbq and wild moor the majourity of the time when on the broads.

Just to mention we do have a cast iron beasty of a bbq which we also use as fire pit also a cobb bbq which we do put kn the ground but its cold to the touch on the outside.. both perfect for the broads and leaves no footprint. Enjoy!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

As embarrassed as I am to ask would you be able to give me some directions as to exactly where Gays Staithe is within Barton? Coming from Stalham where on Barton is it exactly? Am I able to moor for the night there instead of mud weight? One more question, what is the name of the pub you mentioned? Thanks again in anticipation of your help. Paul

• Like 1

As embarrassed as I am to ask would you be able to give me some directions as to exactly where Gays Staithe is within Barton? Coming from Stalham where on Barton is it exactly? Am I able to moor for the night there instead of mud weight? One more question, what is the name of the pub you mentioned? Thanks again in anticipation of your help. Paul

Here is a quick map which shows the route from Stalham as you get to Barton (very crude I admit)

20190507_105550.thumb.jpg.dae7132c493ec134f15a88d6e3dd7ac4.jpg

Yes you can moor up there, there are both stern on and side on moorings, as well as water (if I remember correctly)

The pub will be The White Horse at Neatishead, and very nice it is too, around 10-15 minute walk of I remember correctly

As you cross Barton Broad heading south you will see a small island towards the bottom if the broad. This island is a nature reserve. Keep to the right of this island and follow the channel markers on your right. Shortly after the island these markers make a right hand turn. Follow this. The wide channel narrows gradually. You reach a point which at first looks like a dead end. Gays staithe is now on your left and to the right the narrow Lime Kiln Dyke which takes you to Neatishead Staithe. Was there and at the White Horse pub last week and can recomend both.

• Like 1