'informal Moorings'

PAULYNORF

I think if I was fairly new to the area I would struggle with grendel’s map (sorry grendel) while Jayfire’s looks easier to follow. Put the two together and you should find Gaye’s Staithe easily enough. Add in the description from RS2021 and there is no excuse for missing it! I would just say that Gaye’s Staithe is very popular and will fill up quite quickly. It is also mainly stern-on moorings(there are a few side-on but they will undoubtedly be taken by the time you get there). Personally I don’t like being penned in by other boats and it won’t be the ‘wild’ mooring you seem to be looking for. Paddy’s Lane off the Ant just above Barton Broad would be quieter as someone else has mentioned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

I am sorry Vanessan, it was just a project that I am working on that was handy at the time.

Don’t apologise for goodness sake! To be able to provide a map at the drop of a hat is commendable. I hope my observation didn’t come across as being critical, it certainly wasn’t meant to be. Dare I ask what the project is?

22 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Dare I ask what the project is?

How to provide a map without criticism, for beginners I believe Mrs V :default_biggrin:

you dare, I am preparing a sheet by sheet map of the broads, which hopefully will by the time it is finished, show everything that you might want to know, as you sail off one sheet you will progress to the next, moorings pubs etc will all be marked. at some point I will need input from the forum for all the additional data required to populate the map, I have created the background map from free open source ordinance survey data (that is available to all for free- with just an accreditation for the source required) and continue to work on it in my spare time, the hope is that we can sometime in the future publish it to the forum website, and have it available as a download, this will be able to be printed out as either an A4 Booklet or an A3 one for those who suffer from poorer eyesight.

it currently has 144 pages- but thats just the maps without the key to be able to interpret them, moorings are indicated by the magenta coloured boat shapes that are approximately the correct scale , lettering inside will denote 24 hour moorings, pub moorings etc, I am hoping to add things like major landmarks, staithe names (even the names of the various reaches as I identify them). once I get to a certain point it will entail taking a paper copy around with me and marking up as I go along. it should also be possible to split the whole thing down by river too, so you can have separate booklets for the different rivers.

an ambitious project, but these things keep me busy in my spare time.

broads map sample.JPG

I found that garmins topo maps while not technically compatible with my chart plotter work fine so for £20 I have topo maps in one slot and sea charts in the other slot and they change over seamlessly at breydon water when the sea data runs out.

Not the full broads info you are compiling but plenty good enough for me, many years ago I did a very basic version for the gt.ouse for garmin mapsource.

20 minutes ago, grendel said:

I will need input from the forum for all the additional data required to populate the map

You  need any help on the pubs G, Mr Nog and I have got ya covered :default_biggrin:

20190507_154235.thumb.jpg.ca60e86328eaac9bf934809b7dd4a7ca.jpg

1 hour ago, grendel said:

, I am preparing a sheet by sheet map of the broads, 

Now that is what I consider a very worthwhile and commendable project and no doubt it will be hugely satisfying once you have completed it. :default_icon_clap: Will you be putting all those ‘full English breakfast’ establishments on it too? :default_norty: I have an old copy of Hamilton’s if you need it. 

17 hours ago, Jayfire said:

You  need any help on the pubs G, Mr Nog and I have got ya covered :default_biggrin:

20190507_154235.thumb.jpg.ca60e86328eaac9bf934809b7dd4a7ca.jpg

I've had to write countless projects in my working life, most of them tedious!

However, it might be a hardship but I reckon I could enjoy this one  :default_biggrin: