I Know Some Are Not 'footie' Fans, But.....

Poppy

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I assume that the EDP has reported that the Canaries won the championship 200 years ago.

Finger right on the pulse as ever. :-)

funnily enough that's how I read it too, I thought that was probably the last time NCFC won anything .....

On a related matter I was walking along Sir Matt Busby way earlier past Old Trafford where an old boy was washing the team coach in the carpark. I commented that washing such a large coach all on his own was quite a task. He replied "I'm not washing it, I'm just rubbing the champion's league logos off".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What`s football?, is it where 22 miliionaires kick a bag of wind around for an hour and a half for no good reason other than trying to look good and make as much money as possible, including rolling around the pitch in agony just because one of the opposition stood on his bootlace? . 

British Superbikes,..... Now there`s something much better.  Get thrown off a bike at 150mph+, bounce along the track and get tumbled over and over in the gravel run off, and just get up and walk away, totally p....d off because you are not allowed to remount the bike and get back into the race.

I ask you, who REALLY EARNS their fee?.

Have we got a smug grin smiley?.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have never really understood the mindset of football club supporters. I don't really follow the game but have a gentle interest in the progress of two teams, Southend United and Norwich. I was born and spent most of my childhood just outside Southend (Leigh-on-Sea) and spend as much time as I can in Norfolk. There is no recognised team near Sawbridgeworth !  That's my excuse and I stick to it.

I have never been to Manchester nor have the Man United supporters I have known. Why would someone support a team from a place with which they have no links? This I don't understand.

If Engerland is playing, I support them, If Engerland is not playing, but another UK country is, I will support them. This level of support I understand.

Friendly banter I also understand, anything more serious I again raise my eyes in wonder and confusion. 

• Like 2

It's about passion MM, about a lifetime supporting your club, through good times and bad. The names and faces change but the colour of the shirt, the badge, they remain. Football isn't about who's got the fastest machine. History shows us it's not even about who's got the most money, at least not always. It's about passion, about dreaming, about believing.

Not everybody has that, of course they don't and that's fine. Different people have different passions. The only people I find irritating are those who "adopt" a passion for fashion.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Paul said:

It's about passion MM, about a lifetime supporting your club, through good times and bad. The names and faces change but the colour of the shirt, the badge, they remain. Football isn't about who's got the fastest machine. History shows us it's not even about who's got the most money, at least not always. It's about passion, about dreaming, about believing.

Not everybody has that, of course they don't and that's fine. Different people have different passions. The only people I find irritating are those who "adopt" a passion for fashion.

I couldn't agree more, nice post, except for the fashion bit. I love fashion, please tell me you're not one of those people that wear white socks with sandals :default_biggrin: Noooooooo

Grace

• Haha 1

It's also about being there to watch your club (Liverpool) come from 3 nil down after the first leg of a Champions League Semi Final against Barcelona, without Salah, Firmino, Lallana, Keita, Chamberlain to win 4-0 and go through to the final in Madrid.

Magical night at Anfield once again, and all it's cost me is my voice and a massive hangover :default_biggrin:

:default_party0010:

4 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

It's also about being there to watch your club (Liverpool) come from 3 nil down after the first leg of a Champions League Semi Final against Barcelona, without Salah, Firmino, Lallana, Keita, Chamberlain to win 4-0 and go through to the final in Madrid.

Magical night at Anfield once again, and all it's cost me is my voice and a massive hangover :default_biggrin:

:default_party0010:

You lucky man, actually being there! What a fantastic turn around, Barca just hadn’t got an answer last night had they?! ( I think the Canaries have withdrawn their offer for Messi this morning, it will save £20m anyway.) I thought at one point when being interviewed Klopp was going to burst into tears. Just brilliant. :default_drinks: Hope you recover from the hangover quickly. 

16 minutes ago, grendel said:

just wonder how they get from 3-0 down to 4-0 win, were all the opponents goals somehow disallowed at half time - not that I pretend to understand this football stuff (or particularly care).:default_gbxhmm:

First leg in Barcelona finished 3-0 to Barcelona G, 2nd leg in Liverpool finished 4-0 to Liverpool, therefore Liverpool go through having won 4-3 on aggregate :default_biggrin:

Does that make sense? My brain work no good after last night (no comments please :default_smiley-angelic002:)

Elaine is starting to get fed up of watching the highlights of last nights match, I've only had them on repeat since 06:30 this morning, nothing excessive or anything.

It was a great night but I do think the press and media are over doing the hype somewhat. All that happened is that Europe's top football club, albeit deprived of their best two players and several other potential starters, four days after a gruelling, must win domestic match overturned a 0:3 first leg deficit against a team which rested their entire starting 11 last weekend, spearheaded by a has been and two of our cast offs.

Still there is a good side to it all. I shall be relieving Mr Power of £340 on my next trip into town. "Liverpool to progress to Champions League Final", £10 at 33/1.

11 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

First leg in Barcelona finished 3-0 to Barcelona G, 2nd leg in Liverpool finished 4-0 to Liverpool, therefore Liverpool go through having won 4-3 on aggregate :default_biggrin:

Does that make sense? My brain work no good after last night (no comments please :default_smiley-angelic002:)

Bet you are glad you didn`t have to explain the "away goals rule" :default_biggrin:

20 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Bet you are glad you didn`t have to explain the "away goals rule" :default_biggrin:

Or the offside rule to Gracie. Come to think about it can somebody explain the modern offside rules to me please ....

23 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Absolutely, although when you've spent as many hours trying to explain the offside rule to Grace as I have, it would be comparatively simple :default_smiley-angelic002:

11 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

In the first phase or the second phase of the moment in play?

You see what I mean? I'm still on Brian Clough's version, "If you're not interfering with play what are you doing on the pitch?"