I Know Some Are Not 'footie' Fans, But.....

Poppy

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

I don't understand football fans sometimes. A couple of my (now former) friends on facebook, people I have known for many years were gutted that Liverpool qualified on Tuesday and posted a number of really nasty comments about it. Then when I posted congratulations to Spurs last night and how much I was looking forward to an all England final delivered another round of vitriolic diatribe at which point I decided they were friends I could do without. I like Liverpool to win everything, of course I do, but if we can't then I like to see other English clubs do well. It seems that attitude is at odds with some, especially those who support the red half of Nottingham

That’s the unfortunate problem with football, the die-hard fans that are so blinkered. Why do these things bring out the worst in people? I have to agree with Paul, it really is those kind of friends you can do without. Friendly banter is one thing, vitriol  is totally unnecessary and also very sad. 

I didn’t see the Spurs result until this morning but it’s fantastic that we (ENGLAND) have two teams in the CL final. Well done Spurs!

Now it’s come on you Lionesses but I expect that will produce another plug for great bicycles or whatever. :default_norty: (I must admit that I haven’t quite got used to women playing football or boxing but, if they are now being included, any national team has my support.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayfire said:

" I think my post is blatantly obvious in it's point being of football supporters of any club being made to lose out for tickets to corporate and sponsorship greed,  

As everybody will know, i`m no football fan. I used to be, i was a life long Chelsea fan, especially back in the late 80s / 90s when they were down in (the original) divi 2, when all the trendy fans deserted them to other teams in divi1.  I turned my back on football at least 15, possibly even 20 years ago when they started to be treated like little tin gods, or acted and dress like male models, and became multi millionaires. It`s NOT a sport anymore, it`s BIG BIG business, and money talks, even results are business deals, yet people still REFUSE to believe it. That`s why Jays post is absolutely spot on, it`s prioritising business rather than being a sport for the fans. I don`t care one little bit about all the fancy stadia etc, when football goes BACK to being a family supported focused sporting competition, i might be tempted to take an interest again, but i doubt that will ever happen, and even if it did, i further doubt it will ever happen in my lifetime. 

Roll on the British Superbikes round at Thruxton. Now that WILL be exciting, and with REAL sportsmen and passion, and with NO drunken yobs or animosity between fans either .............................

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I refer my honourable  friend to my much earlier post, and his reply. I now understand it is a matter of passion ( :default_laugh: Sorry about that, I couldn't resist.)

Honourable! It's a scurrilous lie!

My main sport, as a participant was cricket. I played from county schools level to minor counties and a couple of A grade games, however I doubt I was quite good enough to make the step to full county cricket though a back injury playing Rugby when I was twenty denied me the chance to find out. Cricket of course is well known for it's "sledging", that friendly banter between oponents on and off the field. Sadly even in this gentle game that seems, with increasing regularity to go too far nowadays. Football is no different to that. Let me highlight two different examples.

I would comment on a post above such:

18 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

i`m no football fan. I used to be, i was a life long Chelsea fan,

So correct, not a football fan then ..... followed by various emojis and LOLs, a friendly gest between supporters of different clubs. Similar to me telling my team mates, quite vocally not to try and dismiss an opposition batsman who had just been involved in two run outs as he was our best wicket taker. Friendly banter. 

Compare that with posts I have witnessed on facebook recently regarding Liverpool's qualification referring to "cheating bas***ds" and worse and then a line is crossed. 

But it's not just football, or cricket. Sadly it affects many sports nowadays. One of my closest friends has played hockey all his life, to county and national levels and now coaches a local club. The actions of some parents, and because of that their offspring is disgraceful.

• Like 1

And just to show that there is a human side there is a wonderful picture of Spurs fans consoling their Ajax couterparts in the media today. That does restore one's faith in the beautiful game. 

As for cricket that's easy. You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

• Haha 1

Chelsea what are you doing to me!We don't make it easy.Should have finished them off first half.Not our best season  yet two finals and third in the premier. Now just got to overcome Arsenal. Great for English football two Euro finals=four English teams

• Like 2

A reminder for anyone travelling to Baku for the Europa League final that visas are required for Azerbaijan. They can be done online but you must enter Europa League Final as the purpose of your visit and you might want to consider the urgent service to ensure it's processed in time. 

Best flights in are Turkish Airlines via Istanbul or Antalya but prices will rocket quickly. Baku is a lovely city so consider travelling a couple of days either side of the final to get better flight prices. Hotel accommodation is plentiful in Baku but book quickly to get the best prices. 

That's if your lucky enough to get one of the 6000 tickets each team is getting, which in a stadium of nearly 70,000 is shocking.

• Like 1

Football has often been a bit war like,in recent years has got better.There seems to be a problem with Sunday league and even some school age children. Players, refs and line officials being verbally abused. This must be stopped. I think players young and old should take part without fear.Good old banter yes,anything else is unacceptable. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, twowrights said:

It was nice to see Liverpool and Barca fans getting along so well the other night, Barca fans were even kind enough to give Liverpool fans directions to Anfield! :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And very nice of them it was too. Don't worry, we reciprocated in kind, waving them off with a smile as they all made their way along the Walton Brek Road to where the coaches were waiting. They didn't seem very happy so we tried to cheer them up with a few songs. A rousing chorus of "it's a long way to Spain when you've lost", We're going to Madrid" and "Come back, when you're good enough" seemed to cheer them up. It was so beautiful many of them were reduced to tears.

12 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Football has often been a bit war like,in recent years has got better.There seems to be a problem with Sunday league and even some school age children. Players, refs and line officials being verbally abused. This must be stopped. I think players young and old should take part without fear.Good old banter yes,anything else is unacceptable. 

Sometimes one persons banter is taken by another as rudeness.

• Like 2

Well done Man city,although a Chelsea fan,I am sorry Liverpool did not win the premier.However what a great season for both teams.Just a bit more silverware to be decided. Of course I hope we win the cup.England playing next month and the Lionesses in action during the summer. Let's hope they both do well.

17 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Well done Man city,although a Chelsea fan,I am sorry Liverpool did not win the premier.However what a great season for both teams.Just a bit more silverware to be decided. Of course I hope we win the cup.England playing next month and the Lionesses in action during the summer. Let's hope they both do well.

As a Chelsea fan why did you favour Liverpool over Man city Ian? One hell of a season for both teams either way.

Did anyone listen the the two Liverpool & Man city fans having a ding dong about the premiership v`s champions league and which is better to win on 606 yesterday? Brought a smile to my face it did.