I Know Some Are Not 'footie' Fans, But.....

Poppy

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

If there is such a word as positivity

Indeed there is but, if you listen to some of those well-known football pundits, it’s actually pronounced posiiviiy! There so often appears to be no such letter as ‘t’ in the football world now. (Lots of other places too no doubt.)

• Like 1

I know what you mean.   It makes you want to crawl into a corner, especially when listening to some who have made the 'pile' and in some cases a very large pile.      At one time you would not have got on the BBC for instance (only an instance) if you did not speak the Queen's English.    Now I watch programmes and at time can no longer even understand what is being said.

14 hours ago, finny said:

You caught us on a very very bad defensive game by City and nothing else 

we will still win the league :default_eusa_dance:

finny

Excuses, excuses!

With their money, they should  . . . . . . . . . but it's a funny old game and a long season and I actually derive a lot of pleasure watching someone eating a large portion of humble pie.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think that it could be another team from the North West who wear red that are in with a good shout (not Man United) and there are one or two London clubs who could be knocking on the door too.

All will become apparent in May 2020!

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

I know what you mean.   It makes you want to crawl into a corner, especially when listening to some who have made the 'pile' and in some cases a very large pile.      At one time you would not have got on the BBC for instance (only an instance) if you did not speak the Queen's English.    Now I watch programmes and at time can no longer even understand what is being said.

You want to listen to some of the children's presenters. When we were kids there was uproar when John Noakes joined Blue Peter as he had an accent. Prior to that it was Queen's English and reserved pronunciation. I said then it was the thin end of the wedge. And what's with the phrase "my bad", for heaven's sake. They mean" my fault" or "my mistake". It's all over the TV just lately. 

I love that Ron Manager clip, used to love that program, the sad thing about it is he seems to talk a lot more sense than many of the pundits on Match of the Day just lately. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, finny said:

You caught us on a very very bad defensive game by City and nothing else 

we will still win the league :default_eusa_dance:

finny

I think Guardiola will be gone from Man City soon. Three seasons and they haven't looked like winning the Champions League, which is what he was brought in to do, and a poor start to this season. It won't be long before we start hearing phrases like "lost the dressing room" etc etc....

• Like 1

My pet hate at the moment is hearing someone answer a question with ‘So’. Now, pet hates in speech could (should) start a whole new thread - although we’ve done that more than a few times over the years I do believe! 

So (:default_eusa_dance:), back to footie. I am waiting for Jayfire to put in his two pennyworth. Norwich have done his beloved Liverpool a big favour. Where are you Cap’n, let’s be havin’ you (as a certain person was known to shout.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Don’t you mean ‘everyfink’?

Perhaps you should of thought that through a bit more.  Too many grammatical errors will have some people losing there temper.  And as to were to put the apostrophe, well its enough to make you weep!

By the way, what woz this thread about?😁😉

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Timbo said:

So, (:default_norty:) I've been playing, watching, listening and following football for a very long time. What on earth is this American 'assist' that has crept into football commentary?

I think it’s so more players can get a mention, makes it sounds as if they are actually earning those massive salaries!