Rangers On A Purge. ..

If traditional yachts are able to negotiate different regulations to adhere to (display of numbers from bowsprit s or sea toilets for example) I see no reason for the BA to not grant registration numbers in their original positions on older craft. In fact, having set a precedence for the river cruiser class,  it would be very difficult not to afford similar dispensation where needed

• Like 1

Chris, each to their own, and everyone must take the course of action that suits them, however I see it as far from petty and yet another example of an Authority intent on alienating itself from everyone. They are throwing their weight around and it is very unlikely to stand up in a court of law. They themselves state that their 1997 byelaws were based on guidance from their predecessors and was based on the 1930 regs. Your historical pictures would make for interesting evidence if it ever went to court.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Malanka said:

They want them no more than1.2 m from the bow. Guidance says less than approximately 2m. 

Silly of me but if the guidance says approximately 2m, then they can want 1.2m all they like. Never going to happen.

Compliance is my profession they have no legs on which to stand. They have conflated a want with a need. Easily done with little to no oversight. 

M

Sorry that’s a misquote by me they said 2.1 to 2.2m. 

Approximately 2m would and has been interpreted to mean on the curved bit it seems. Ok with me 

M

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Chris, each to their own, and everyone must take the course of action that suits them, however I see it as far from petty and yet another example of an Authority intent on alienating itself from everyone. They are throwing their weight around and it is very unlikely to stand up in a court of law. They themselves state that their 1997 byelaws were based on guidance from their predecessors and was based on the 1930 regs. Your historical pictures would make for interesting evidence if it ever went to court.

Good post !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone asked the BA to comment on this, if there guidelines are not the same as the bylaws?

Wondered if you would get a straight answer.  It's not the rangers fault if they are being told to enforce this.

Rangers should be more involved with the wellbeing of the Broads in my view.

As I wrote earlier I don’t believe they would be able to enforce anything not in the regs. 

The rangers have obviously received some instructions not necessarily predicated on the regs but on their own guidance. In that case knock yourselves out guys. 

The guidelines are not the law they are for  guidance. I have met people in other industries who like to believe their opinion or what they think or they believe carries more weight than the alternate view. These people start sentences with I “think that” and when you respond in the negative or anything other than 100% adherence they begin their instantaneous retort with “yes” followed by “but!!”

This shows they aren’t interested in what you just said and they probably barely heard it. They may have listened seemingly intently when all they were really doing was preparing their next sentence which will not address anything you may have said. Hence yes followed by but. 

My standard response to this is to not say anything and introduce the pregnant pause and wait for them to answer the points I just made. It’s fun you should try it. 

• Like 1

Why is it I sometimes get the impression that some people really cannot have a lot to do in their life??? It is after all quite a nice day outside where I am now going again, having popped back from the boat this morning just for lunch and a quick browse......!!!

From my point of view I cant see how the BA have any business entering private boatyards/marinas or other secure areas to inspect Boats for compliance in this way.  

They did this at the WRC when we moored there as they kept one of the patrol launches in the secure compound.  Almost every time I was there to see the boat come back in a ranger (or 2) would wander round on the look out for a nick after putting the patrol boat to bed. 

I do support the Rangers in what they do but Im not sure I like this practice, if I was paying to keep a historic woodie In a supposedly secure building away from prying eyes I wouldn't be to happy about someone coming along and sticking a ticket on it basing it on what sounds like a matter of opinion.....its been good enough for the last 50 odd years for goodness sake. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, marshman said:

Why is it I sometimes get the impression that some people really cannot have a lot to do in their life??? It is after all quite a nice day outside where I am now going again, having popped back from the boat this morning just for lunch and a quick browse......!!!

But then you live near your boat, many of us are nowhere near. That we are able to communicate in this way makes us feel closer to our boats and the Broads. Plus of course this is somewhat of a ‘hot topic’. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, marshman said:

Why is it I sometimes get the impression that some people really cannot have a lot to do in their life???

I do, it's called getting on with my work, that's why I'm here..... Sod the work!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Why is it I sometimes get the impression that some people really cannot have a lot to do in their life???

That could equally be said of some of the Rangers & Department Heads if they insist on registration numbers being moved from where they have been for fifty years or more! 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, marshman said:

Why is it that some people feel the need to belittle other members? There could just be very valid reasons why some people are not out and about and spending more time than normal on the forum.

Each to their own and its each persons decision how they want to spend that time without ridicule. Enjoy your day in the outdoors. Here its raining very hard.

• Like 4

We have to cast our minds back and recall why the BA discontinued the toll plaques in the first place. Wasn't it something to do with a cock-up on their part involving ink which ran in the wet? Why, now, are  the BA having to fund expensive twice-yearly verification activities (no doubt out of the Navigation budget) and we boat owners having to perform cartwheels to accommodate the consequences of that cock-up rather than have the BA address the root cause of the problem? 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SteveO said:

We have to cast our minds back and recall why the BA discontinued the toll plaques in the first place. Wasn't it something to do with a cock-up on their part involving ink which ran in the wet? Why, now, are  the BA having to fund expensive twice-yearly verification activities (no doubt out of the Navigation budget) and we boat owners having to perform cartwheels to accommodate the consequences of that cock-up rather than have the BA address the root cause of the problem? 

No, it was a cock-up on the part of the printers. The background can be found in the attached report. The rangers used to visit marinas to check on compliance before the demise of the toll plaque, so there's nothing new there. They now use technology to check on toll payment rather than physically checking the receipt attached to a vessel.

I seem to recall that the BA used to give a certain amount of leeway to owners who lived a distance away, and so couldn't necessarily get to their boat to afix the toll receipt by the end of March. These boats would, obviously, have to be checked again, later in the season. Hardly an efficient method. At least now the payment of the toll can be almost instantly checked and the 'sorry, I forgot to put the toll plaque on' excuse no longer works.

Toll-Plaques-Paperless-Solution.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, marshman said:

BECAUSE it is a 580 mile round trip for us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE have just come back because of a reported problem with our boiler.

4and 3/4 hour trip home.

Back on sunday for a week, our boat is like a holiday home not a simple pastime!

paul

• Like 6

What does it actually say ? 

BA has been showing her tags like she does now for decades. Just like Zena.

just think . If it costs more to take folks to court than they would get in a fine ( even supposing they had the proverbial cat in hell’s chance of actually winning) and of course it will, how could they justify this as a revenue builder when it actually costs more than they get.

just a thought for the next committee meeting..... 

I wonder how much it’s cost already ? 

In “good will” they are already in a deficit so deep they will lose so much support it’s insane. Seems a little counterproductive to me. I’ll wager it was a bean counter wot thunk it up.

M

• Thanks 1

surprised they have not been deploying the rangers to clear the Yare of two large fallen trees above Brundall that have obstructed the navigation since before Easter.

One tree blocks about a third of the river and the other one, on the opposite side just further up river, by a quarter. They have at least put up lots of yellow posts.

I am sure i read somewhere that they had a duty to maintain the navigation ???

I have also read somewhere that they have a wonderful piece of expensive equipment to do the job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Malanka said:

A short hop then!  I’m coming to the spring meet ( woo hoo) and that’s 1760miles round trip.. not including the North Sea crossing.. 

M

Do you mean kilometres? We had to drive to Mulhouse twice after we moved to the North Norfolk Coast and that is pretty close to you. I used to clock under 1300 miles. A couple of hundred to Dover and around 430 on the other side. 

Still hats off to you, a fair old journey for a long weekend. The weather looks as though it will be kind to you all.